Coal vs wood.

Homes and Retreats
Nurseandy

Coal vs wood.

Post by Nurseandy »

Well here's a weird thing - our house move has been delayed for the third time ffs.
We've given away our substantial wood stack and due to the delay in moving have started burning some coal we couldn't pack that has been sitting in a coal bunker for 10+ years.
The odd thing is the well seasoned wood (hard & soft mix) appears to have been hotter than the coal. Very strange. The coal's dry and burning well on a grate in an appropriate stove, its just not very hot. Strange.

Would put an electric heater on but not today ;)
British Red

Re: Coal vs wood.

Post by British Red »

Depending on the wood, and the amount of coal, that's true. However the coal does contain more BTUs per volume - but burns for much longer so releases it more slowly. We use wood for fast heat in the evening but smokeless to keep the stove ticking over if it's very cold.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

That'll be it. Thankfully our stove is ridiculously big so I've put an obscene amount of coal on.
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am Depending on the wood, and the amount of coal, that's true. However the coal does contain more BTUs per volume - but burns for much longer so releases it more slowly. We use wood for fast heat in the evening but smokeless to keep the stove ticking over if it's very cold.
That’s the way we operate too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

jansman wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:37 pm
British Red wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am Depending on the wood, and the amount of coal, that's true. However the coal does contain more BTUs per volume - but burns for much longer so releases it more slowly. We use wood for fast heat in the evening but smokeless to keep the stove ticking over if it's very cold.
That’s the way we operate too.
exactly the same here to,if we pop out for a few hours i chuck a shovel of coal in the rayburn to keep it ticking over till we get back because the kids would never think of putting logs in it
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...