Water Butt Stands

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
itsybitsy

Water Butt Stands

Post by itsybitsy »

I'm just in the process of getting a water butt. Do I need a stand for it? They are almost as much as the butt itself so if I am spending the money I'd rather buy two butts than one butt and a stand. I don't want to use bricks or anything else as a cheap bodge job as it's in the garden so I want it to look tidy and pleasing to the eye.
jennyjj01

Re: Water Butt Stands

Post by jennyjj01 »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:45 am I'm just in the process of getting a water butt. Do I need a stand for it? They are almost as much as the butt itself so if I am spending the money I'd rather buy two butts than one butt and a stand. I don't want to use bricks or anything else as a cheap bodge job as it's in the garden so I want it to look tidy and pleasing to the eye.
I reckon you mostly do unless you plan to pump water out with a submersible pump, The tap at the bottom would be too close to the ground to get a watering can under. There's a lot of weight there, so best to get the right base for safety and stability.
I'm surprised the base isn't included. Are you looking at those expensive 300L ones from B&Q with the £44 base!!!
In case you didn't know, many water companies make subsidised water butt offers.

E.g. United Utilities offer in the North West
https://www.savewatersavemoney.co.uk/products/garden
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:45 am I don't want to use bricks or anything else as a cheap bodge job as it's in the garden so I want it to look tidy and pleasing to the eye.
Best not to invite you to my ugly garden then :oops: . I have a couple on stands made of bricks capped with a slab and one made of 4" round timber offcuts along with a couple more that don't have a tap and are just sat on the ground.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:04 am
itsybitsy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:45 am I'm just in the process of getting a water butt. Do I need a stand for it? They are almost as much as the butt itself so if I am spending the money I'd rather buy two butts than one butt and a stand. I don't want to use bricks or anything else as a cheap bodge job as it's in the garden so I want it to look tidy and pleasing to the eye.
I reckon you mostly do unless you plan to pump water out with a submersible pump, The tap at the bottom would be too close to the ground to get a watering can under. There's a lot of weight there, so best to get the right base for safety and stability.
I'm surprised the base isn't included. Are you looking at those expensive 300L ones from B&Q with the £44 base!!!
In case you didn't know, many water companies make subsidised water butt offers.

That's a good point and I hadn't thought of it re. the tap to extract the water!

And, no, I also didn't know that about the water companies - United Utilities have got an offer on 100ltr butt kit - £27.99 with free delivery! :D
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:37 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:04 am I reckon you mostly do unless you plan to pump water out with a submersible pump, The tap at the bottom would be too close to the ground to get a watering can under. There's a lot of weight there, so best to get the right base for safety and stability.

That's a good point and I hadn't thought of it re. the tap to extract the water!

And, no, I also didn't know that about the water companies - United Utilities have got an offer on 100ltr butt kit - £27.99 with free delivery! :D
Yes. excellent VFM. Came with fittings including downspout collector worth £10 on its own. Super easy to install.
Notice how the bases have clever concave gaps perfect for getting your watering can under. Unlike, bricks and slabs.

I have a pair of those slimline 100L ones, piped together. We actually use a submerged pump to power the water to a hose pipe. Cheap enough from amazon.
Previously, We used a cheap pressure washer to pump them out. Used mostly for the lawn, so watering cans not up to the job.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:16 am
itsybitsy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:45 am I don't want to use bricks or anything else as a cheap bodge job as it's in the garden so I want it to look tidy and pleasing to the eye.
Best not to invite you to my ugly garden then :oops: . I have a couple on stands made of bricks capped with a slab and one made of 4" round timber offcuts along with a couple more that don't have a tap and are just sat on the ground.
We share the same design of stand! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'll raise you the pile of scrap metal down the side of the house in the ugly garden game... :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:40 pm I'll raise you the pile of scrap metal down the side of the house in the ugly garden game... :D
3 tonnes of logs, pile of pallets and and the stack of cinder blocks my wife keeps telling me to move! :lol: your deal….

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Funnily enough my daughter was having a go at me about the pile of shite in the garden. This pile contained amongst other things two large sacks of leaf mould , bags of topsoil , timber , building materials and so on but not wanting to derail itsy's thread I'm happy to call it a draw...
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:26 pm Funnily enough my daughter was having a go at me about the pile of shite in the garden. This pile contained amongst other things two large sacks of leaf mould , bags of topsoil , timber , building materials and so on but not wanting to derail itsy's thread I'm happy to call it a draw...
You are right, we must not stray off topic. However, all that shite is not… it’s a pile of resources!

Robert Frost.

Me.