Choices

Logistics and Transport
British Red

Re: Choices

Post by British Red »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:58 pm

That’s my point. You cannot just plonk your tent/ camper van or whatever upon any piece of land you choose( in England at least).
Around here it's mostly horticulture with a huge amount of brassica work. Brassicas are all still planted by hand by groups of temporary workers organised by "gang masters". Those workers are tough. 12 hour days of hard physical work. Farmers can get most things sorted with a crate of something and an envelope of overtime.
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

Personally for most reasons we would stay put. But if the local nuclear power station was going in to meltdown or something. Then we would have to leave. The main road we are next to soon gets backed up when a car breaks down in a village up the road tho. We would have to gamble on the country lanes to put some distance between us.

Farmers have spent years placing cement barriers and other objects on field entry points to stop travellers and those who want to dump waste. You could enter a field and end up getting blocked in and end up losing your BOV.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bijela wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:31 pm Personally for most reasons we would stay put. But if the local nuclear power station was going in to meltdown or something. Then we would have to leave. The main road we are next to soon gets backed up when a car breaks down in a village up the road tho. We would have to gamble on the country lanes to put some distance between us.

Farmers have spent years placing cement barriers and other objects on field entry points to stop travellers and those who want to dump waste. You could enter a field and end up getting blocked in and end up losing your BOV.
I think if the nuclear power station next door was melting down, we would move! BUT it wouldn’t be with a bag full of machetes, camping stoves and tents.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I can't help thinking that if the nuclear plant was going into meltdown the fastest sports car possible would be the ideal bug out vehicle...
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Likewise with planning to set up camp in " remote " areas of Scotland - quite right there is right to roam & landowners/game keepers are generally OK with people wild camping for a single night but start wanting you to move on after a couple of nights. Don't think they'd tolerate lots (or maybe any) people bugging out and to start hunting rabbits/hares/pheasant/grouse etc and particularly not in any sort of shtf situation - they're likely to protect their own & their family's interests.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

My sympathies would be with the farmers , it's their land after all. That said it's a grey area that might be dependent on the event . If there is a nuclear meltdown or invasion type of thing , something really serious , and huge numbers of people are fleeing then standing trying to defend with a shotgun is ultimately go wrong.
I do find that most of the bug out fantasies tend to rely on just a very few people escaping a city while everyone else conveniently dies off , gets killed or abducted by aliens or the bad guys. It's rarely thousands of people in a family car with wife , kids ad elderly parents ( except in reality of course).
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:09 pm My sympathies would be with the farmers , it's their land after all. That said it's a grey area that might be dependent on the event . If there is a nuclear meltdown or invasion type of thing , something really serious , and huge numbers of people are fleeing then standing trying to defend with a shotgun is ultimately go wrong.
I do find that most of the bug out fantasies tend to rely on just a very few people escaping a city while everyone else conveniently dies off , gets killed or abducted by aliens or the bad guys. It's rarely thousands of people in a family car with wife , kids ad elderly parents ( except in reality of course).
Spot on grenfell.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:22 pm I can't help thinking that if the nuclear plant was going into meltdown the fastest sports car possible would be the ideal bug out vehicle...
We do have a CBR 600 RR, but as there's 3 of us. It does mean I can scout roads for the wife to follow.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

My choice is bicycle. Cheap, reliable, don't need petrol or electricity, silent. I have two racks, so I can carry 4 panniers plus a bit on top and a rucksack. Bikes are technical these days, so for instance if the shifter went, I'd probably have to ditch it. I could still carry all my gear, just about. Most would have to be crammed in the rucksack. This depends on whether it was a 3 day bug-out or an INCH scenario. The INCH stuff I have is in one pannier and might not fit in, so I'd have to carry that using a shoulder strap.

Even for bug-in, it's a great means of transport, for the same reasons.
Also I ride it regularly to keep fit. If I was bugging out with others of course it would depend on how they wanted to travel.

Panniers are as follows: front left, camping and cooking gear, food, Leatherman. Front right, various stuff I might need en route, things like first aid kit, hand wipes and so on. Rear left is bike gear I carry on every ride, so that would get ditched if I had to ditch the bike. Rear right is INCH stuff, so I wouldn't have that in a 3 day scenario. Rucksack is only half full, mostly light stuff like clothes, sleeping bag, a quilt, also water, water filters etc. Tied to the top of my rear rack would be be foam sleeping mat.

The water is really for if I'm not taking the bike, as the bike has three water bottle cages. One mount is factory, on the down tube. A strap-on for a short bottle on the seat tube, bolt-on on the handlebar. Also I have a folding lock strapped to the underside of the down tube. Panniers are cheapest Ortlieb on rear, some ultra-light Altura on the front.

Part of the reason I got all this was I wanted to go touring/camping, but I'm not sure if I'll ever do than now due to physical limitations. Maybe one day. Finding campsites nearby is difficult, and I don't fancy trying to get a laden bike onto a train.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:11 pm My choice is bicycle. Cheap, reliable, don't need petrol or electricity, silent. I have two racks, so I can carry 4 panniers plus a bit on top and a rucksack. Bikes are technical these days, so for instance if the shifter went, I'd probably have to ditch it.
Shifter / cable failure remove cable use the h and l screws to put it into a gear you can plod along on ..

Rear mech / derailure failure remove dump tie up cable.. remove chain links to single speed tye bike middle back sprocket .. middle ring and plod on
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine