Toilets when SHTF

Homes and Retreats
GillyBee

Re: Toilets when SHTF

Post by GillyBee »

The venerable John Seymour of the self sufficency books reported a friend's mother using fat from a lion to make soap. I think it is a matter of whatever fat you have to hand that is not needed for calories as food.
British Red

Post by British Red »

The important thing with soap making is that all the available fat and all the available alkali must be transformed (saponified) by the process. Different fats require a different ratio of the relevant alkali. There are lookup charts called saponification tables to calculate the correct amounts,( it's not complex, a simple X of say olive oil to y of caustic soda).

As for curing soap, cold process soap takes up to 4 weeks to complete the chemical reaction. Hot process soap is safe as soon as heating is completed.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well if it all goes pear shape i have a 1500 litre ex orange juice tank right by the back door and i have 4 220 litre food grade water butts behind the greenhouse , the large tank has a sub pump in it and just a case of swicth on and fill whatever you want , we lost water the other year they rationed it due to the weather and turned it off at night so i use to just bring in 2 large watering cans full , if it is a number 1 it was 3 and flush if a number 2 it was flkush each time .

It is funny people do not think ahead these days most are like the donkey and the carrot as long as they can plod on that is all they want , me i like to know we have bases covered as best we can in the event of SHTF and by the budget today i think we are well stocked , i am running out in a few to doctors and will drop in the gas place grab another 4.5kg butane for the stove and 3 gallown of petrol for the gennie thne we should be good if it goes bad .

To all you preppers on here thank you for the great help and advice i have had while here and it is great to read some of the old posts well worth it

Stay safe , keep calm and carry on

Down side my only treat i can really have and get away with no pain maltessers lol have double yes 100% price increase lol i guess i will have ot wear that as they are my winter time treat .

Ps i know i have asked about a meet up before but most preppers like to well, like the yeti lol but i do hope in the future may be we could all meet
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

steptoe wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:18 pm Well if it all goes pear shape i have a 1500 litre ex orange juice tank right by the back door and i have 4 220 litre food grade water butts behind the greenhouse , the large tank has a sub pump in it and just a case of swicth on and fill whatever you want , we lost water the other year they rationed it due to the weather and turned it off at night so i use to just bring in 2 large watering cans full , if it is a number 1 it was 3 and flush if a number 2 it was flkush each time .

It is funny people do not think ahead these days most are like the donkey and the carrot as long as they can plod on that is all they want , me i like to know we have bases covered as best we can in the event of SHTF and by the budget today i think we are well stocked , i am running out in a few to doctors and will drop in the gas place grab another 4.5kg butane for the stove and 3 gallown of petrol for the gennie thne we should be good if it goes bad .

To all you preppers on here thank you for the great help and advice i have had while here and it is great to read some of the old posts well worth it

Down side my only treat i can really have and get away with no pain maltessers lol have double yes 100% price increase lol i guess i will have ot wear that as they are my winter time treat .

Ps i know i have asked about a meet up before but most preppers like to well, like the yeti lol but i do hope in the future may be we could all meet
You have loads of water to flush, but presumably in a shtf, the sewers would stop flowing after a few days and you'd not be able to flush even if you had water. I think then you need to bury it in bin bags, well away from water sources. Long term you'd probably want to compost it, if possible.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Frnc wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:01 pm
steptoe wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:18 pm Well if it all goes pear shape i have a 1500 litre ex orange juice tank right by the back door and i have 4 220 litre food grade water butts behind the greenhouse , the large tank has a sub pump in it and just a case of swicth on and fill whatever you want , we lost water the other year they rationed it due to the weather and turned it off at night so i use to just bring in 2 large watering cans full , if it is a number 1 it was 3 and flush if a number 2 it was flkush each time .

You have loads of water to flush, but presumably in a shtf, the sewers would stop flowing after a few days and you'd not be able to flush even if you had water. I think then you need to bury it in bin bags, well away from water sources. Long term you'd probably want to compost it, if possible.
Oh yes your right if it went long term but if it was a few days at a time i woulod hope if it all went then yes it would be compost because long term you can put that back in the land .
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I suspect that those at the top of the hill will lose fresh water but keep sewage flowing for a while if the grid goes down. Those at the bottom of the hill will keep fresh water a bit longer but suffer sewage woes sooner. This is assuming the pumps stop running and everything reverts to gravity.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Why bury it in bin bags? Surely better to dig a hole and bury it au naturale to allow it to break down quicker?
With regards to using human faeces for compost (humanure) the permaculture peeps suggest only using it for fruit trees and the like so when eating the crop you're pretty well removed from any medications/diseases the source may have.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Nurseandy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:58 pm Why bury it in bin bags? Surely better to dig a hole and bury it au naturale to allow it to break down quicker?
With regards to using human faeces for compost (humanure) the permaculture peeps suggest only using it for fruit trees and the like so when eating the crop you're pretty well removed from any medications/diseases the source may have.
If you dig a hole, go in it, then fill it, fair enough. That's what you'd do if you were bugged out. But bugged in, if you've not got composting going, you need to cover your toilet in plastic or use a camping toilet or similar. You basically do your number twos onto plastic and cover with sawdust or similar. After a few people have gone, or a couple days, you carry it to a remote spot, dig and bury. You aren't gonna get the plastic back to re-use. That's how I see it anyway.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Ah yes, OK. I was coming at it from a different angle. Five of us in the household but in a very rural location so plenty of space to spread it about so to speak. In an urban area very different story.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Frnc wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:08 pm
Nurseandy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:58 pm Why bury it in bin bags? Surely better to dig a hole and bury it au naturale to allow it to break down quicker?
If you dig a hole, go in it, then fill it, fair enough. That's what you'd do if you were bugged out. But bugged in, if you've not got composting going, you need to cover your toilet in plastic or use a camping toilet or similar. You basically do your number twos onto plastic and cover with sawdust or similar. After a few people have gone, or a couple days, you carry it to a remote spot, dig and bury. You aren't gonna get the plastic back to re-use. That's how I see it anyway.
I would say it would be like the old days , you go you throw as they said you went in the loo poop and then threw the shavings down , i think my nans house before my days had the old go and throw because i remember day telling me once about it , but i think he got her a flushing loo i might be wrong as time clouds the mind but i have also watched many a documentry where they use to go and throw loo , if everthing went down then i have a plan that i can put a loo in the garage or the poly tunnel screen round it lol , then it could go in to the big compost bin which is a 4 year turn round ie it is 8ft sq so cut it in to 4 and start at 12 o clock and work our way round filling as we go by the time we get back to the beginning it should be ready to g o on the land , plus we could then throw in to the tumbler for the last 6 months and mix in other goodies .

I just hope everyone can get through this winter ok , we have been saving hard to make sure we could afford it after reading stuff on here wink wink you know who you are with the heads up that kick started us on it , we are well ahead of the bills now as we upped our payments to get well ahead and now with the government help well as i told the mrs last night with our health issues we have to have it warm mainly for her unless i am bed ridden , but again people if you can not afford it if you have to run up huge bills SPEAK TO THE PROVIDER get in early and tell them you are struggling and you will make the effort to pay it back faster if you can but could they work with you on a payment scheme , i think they would rather have some coming in from you than you bury your head and hope it goes away , sorry to stray from the loo point but just another thing we have to think of