just starting out

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jansman

Re: just starting out

Post by jansman »

Dead easy. Mine are linked,one into the next,fed from my workshop roof. I draw water daily for the greenhouse and livestock. When the rain falls ,the first in-line fills and it all moves along - in between me drawing from the other barrels ad hoc to draw that water which sits.In a dry spell when the garden needs water,and the barrels are empty,I just fill with the hose from the tap that is conveniently situated next to the first barrel. I NEVER leave them empty,’cos you don’t know when the water might fail. Simples. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Bijela wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:34 pm
Surely it depends on how many waterbutts you have and if you only use for food production. Also, a few 100 litres of free water still is doing something to help tie you over and save you money.

Maybe someone else knows ? If you joined the tanks so 1 filters its bottom water to the top of the next one. Then use a drill pump on either a windmill or could a solar panel wired to a old battery drill without the battery if it it's slow keep the water moving ? Having the water drop down to the feeding tank would help it be oxygenated and help prevent stagnation issuse ?

I'm only guessing and throwing it out there for words of wisdom.. :tinfoil
Absolutely water butts are useful! A self filling water supply is nothing to look down on. My point was simply that we shouldn't underestimate the amount of water needed for washing, cooking, cleaning, toilet use, gardening and more. We absolutely ripped through 10,000 litres one Summer just keeping the garden going - ended up using more than 20,000 litres in a 7 week period

We connect bottom to bottom on tanks as shown. That way, connecting a pump to one tank draws water from them all and rain fills all tanks equally. The downside of this method is if any tank leaks, you can lose the lot. Some connect top to top. That way, tank one fills, then tank 2, then tank 3 etc. This can mean that one tank sits full for a long time., But if one leaks , the rest don't.

You pay, your money and take your choice 😉
British Red

Post by British Red »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:09 pm . Carrying >10L for hundreds of meters is beyond me. I'm newly tilted towards buying something like this Image to fill a hole in my plans
This transports 25L very easily and is simpler to put into use, or filter, when you get it home

ImageWater bowser by English Countrylife, on Flickr
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

An Aquaroll or Water Hog only do one thing, store and transport water (OK, thats two things)

A decent sack barrow can be used to transport water jerries, fuel jerries, fuel sacks, boxes or totes full of preps, bags of compost/soil/fertiliser, large pots and planters, bricks & other building materials and small furniture...... Amongst other things.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to replace my folding one with a fixed frame
When buying sack barrows look for big wheels, tall frame/handles and either a large or double toe-plate (the bit you put the sack on)....... Perhaps a thread in Equipment is in the offing, going there now.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
British Red

Post by British Red »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:42 pm A decent sack barrow can be used to transport water jerries, fuel jerries, fuel sacks, boxes or totes full of preps, bags of compost/soil/fertiliser, large pots and planters, bricks & other building materials and small furniture...... Amongst other things.

When buying sack barrows look for big wheels, tall frame/handles and either a large or double toe-plate
My thoughts exactly - a very flexible tool. I need to replace the wheels and tyres on this one - might get a really heavy duty one as well - I could put solids on this one and keep it for wood yard work
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:42 pm An Aquaroll or Water Hog only do one thing, store and transport water (OK, thats two things)

A decent sack barrow can be used to transport water jerries, fuel jerries, fuel sacks, boxes or totes full of preps, bags of compost/soil/fertiliser, large pots and planters, bricks & other building materials and small furniture...... Amongst other things.

When buying sack barrows look for big wheels, tall frame/handles and either a large or double toe-plate (the bit you put the sack on)....... Perhaps a thread in Equipment is in the offing, going there now.
I have that very sack barrow. :)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I had to replace the wheels on a single axel trolley for a friend, Ebay had a range of sizes and working loads available
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
British Red

Post by British Red »

Yep I believe they are pretty standard - just secured with a split pin. I changed the wheels on my Bull Barrow a while ago. The tyres on the sack truck have perished and it's almost as cheap to buy new wheels with tyres fitted
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We got tired of flat tyres on our sack trolley and now have it fitted with foam filled "solid" tyres. Worth a thought considering the life this sort of thing leads
British Red

Post by British Red »

I've fitted solid wheels to the Bull Barrow. I prefer pneumatics but with lots of thorn hedges I was forever patching