Cardinal Sin of Some Unrotated Stocks!

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
mushroom

Cardinal Sin of Some Unrotated Stocks!

Post by mushroom »

Just going through a few shelves that haven't been checked on in - ahem - quite a while!

While I'm very used to using tins which are out of date by up to a few years depending on what they are etc... what is the received wisdom on glass jars and bottles? These are factory sealed jars - such as hot dogs and apricots in syrup, which have dates around 2019 on them. The lids haven't 'popped' in the centre... they look fine, but haven't always been in the dark. Anyone any advice? (other than to write on them in Sharpie and ROTATE!) :lol:
jansman

Re: Cardinal Sin of Some Unrotated Stocks!

Post by jansman »

mushroom wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:36 pm Just going through a few shelves that haven't been checked on in - ahem - quite a while!

While I'm very used to using tins which are out of date by up to a few years depending on what they are etc... what is the received wisdom on glass jars and bottles? These are factory sealed jars - such as hot dogs and apricots in syrup, which have dates around 2019 on them. The lids haven't 'popped' in the centre... they look fine, but haven't always been in the dark. Anyone any advice? (other than to write on them in Sharpie and ROTATE!) :lol:
I assume they are ‘best before’? If so,and the seals are not compromised, then they will be fine.Jars ,bottles and cans ,basically undergo the same packing process.Best before is just that. Texture,colour,flavour and nutrition may not be what it was before the said date.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Yes, all best before. Thank you! Now more than ever I don't want to waste food!!

I've really upped the veg growing for this year. Grow every year but trying to do it on a much bigger scale this year. Also buying some different pastas / pulses and rice in bulk, so hopefully between the two will have the basis for lots of meals!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

mushroom wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:36 pm Just going through a few shelves that haven't been checked on in - ahem - quite a while!

I've had jars of cooking sauces (Uncle Ben Sweet & sour) that were stupidly old. They sort of separated and looked crystalised. One good shake and they were good as new. Jarred Hot Dog sausages still ok 3 years past BBE.

Now TETRAPAKS. and Tubes : Different kettle of fish. I've dumped Passata and fruit juices and tomato puree even before BBE date. Tubes often have a lot of air in the sealed ends.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I have quite a few 2019 tins, because I started storing things in unlikely places - I really shouldn't do that, I'm not quite organised enough. "Know your own limitations" is therefore my advice to you, as requested :lol: , but I could also wag my finger at you, knowingly, if you wanted :lol: :lol: :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

We go through phases here of what we like to eat, it’s easy for items to pile up.I always check in with Mrs J each week,regarding her online shop.Since we couldn’t get a delivery slot two years ago because of Covid 19 - that was two ago! - she is in the habit of putting stuff in the ‘basket’ two weeks in advance now. If we aren’t careful,we end up cornering the global market in tinned tomatoes or mandarins :lol: :lol:

Joking aside though,we have had unnoticed,unrotated tinned fruit eat through the tin because of the acid,and leak out.

That’s one reason to rotate,another would be so that you know what you have,and don’t run out of items. That’s a worse sin. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

i work on the basis as long as the tins are not dented or rusted and the jars are still sealed and not blown....its good.
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:52 am i work on the basis as long as the tins are not dented or rusted and the jars are still sealed and not blown....its good.
Hmmmmm. I do too, mostly! Many tins are lined with a white plastic layer (who some say leaches chemicals) But some, like Branston Beans seem to just have bare metal. Some of my older, 2018, Branston beans look fine outside the tin, but on opening, there has been some erosion. The Tin inside gets to look grey and rough like cast iron. They still get eaten though. I don't think I've ever totally rejected a tin of food from my stash, even a couple that fizzed a tiny bit on opening.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

im an olio volunteer so when we do wholesalers some of it is several months out of date

Yep we still eat it :lol:
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Thanks all... well tonight is a large tin of Cassoulet (bought in a French supermarket when on holiday!) with a BBD of 2018. If I don't come back tomorrow, you'll know the botulism got me :lol: :lol:

In all fairness though Cassoulet is a great prep... tin of beans, lentils, sausage and chicken all in one complete meal and it's expensive if you buy it over here, but was cheap as chips in France!! (Might have gone a bit overboard on that holiday!!)