From high technology to low technology

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: From high technology to low technology

Post by jansman »

I couldn’t have processed the amount of firewood today without a chainsaw. Mind you, they need oil, two stroke oil, petrol, spare chains. I am just going onto the Screwfix website to order more!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:09 pm I couldn’t have processed the amount of firewood today without a chainsaw. Mind you, they need oil, two stroke oil, petrol, spare chains. I am just going onto the Screwfix website to order more!
Reminds me to get some spare Bowsaw blades
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:32 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:09 pm I couldn’t have processed the amount of firewood today without a chainsaw. Mind you, they need oil, two stroke oil, petrol, spare chains. I am just going onto the Screwfix website to order more!
Reminds me to get some spare Bowsaw blades
That reminds me to finish restoring my single buck saw
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:28 am Don’t know if it’s classed as modern; my chainsaws.
i'll second that as well,id be lost without them these days
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Rusty74 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:13 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:28 am Don’t know if it’s classed as modern; my chainsaws.
i'll second that as well,id be lost without them these days
I’ve just been out and locked the hens in and covered the rabbits. I looked at the log piles on the way down and wondered if my vision of self sufficiency when I was 24 years old was so well thought through.Now I approach my 60th year,with a bad back,knackered knees,and a day of work tomorrow that involves processing two lambs, a pig and a body of beef,I start to see the attraction of flicking a switch to provide heat. On the other hand,maybe I’d be bored without it? :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Glorious sunny day down here in SE London/N Kent. So I thought I'd make some coleslaw to have with a quiche for supper. I could shred the cabbage with a knife but that doesn't look so nice and even or at the other end of the gadget spectrum I have a fancy food processor which is a pain in the whatnot to clean and leaves big chunks unsliced. The answer for me is a nice solid sharp mandolin and - the key- a pair of knife guard gloves. Quicker than either of the other ways, gives a better result and cleans with a rinse under the tap. The same knife guard glove will be used with a cheese grater for the carrot later. Bon appetit!
jansman

Post by jansman »

mbbaltic wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:29 pm Glorious sunny day down here in SE London/N Kent. So I thought I'd make some coleslaw to have with a quiche for supper. I could shred the cabbage with a knife but that doesn't look so nice and even or at the other end of the gadget spectrum I have a fancy food processor which is a pain in the whatnot to clean and leaves big chunks unsliced. The answer for me is a nice solid sharp mandolin and - the key- a pair of knife guard gloves. Quicker than either of the other ways, gives a better result and cleans with a rinse under the tap. The same knife guard glove will be used with a cheese grater for the carrot later. Bon appetit!
The knife guard gloves are excellent. I wear a full- on chain mail glove for work. I have a mature apprentice working with me,and he doesn’t get on with chain mail,so I got him the soft guard gloves. I am impressed. So much so,I have one for unhooking pike ( they have teeth!) and it does the job.

Robert Frost.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Jansman: Any brand you'd recommend or are they all much of a muchness ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:27 pm Jansman: Any brand you'd recommend or are they all much of a muchness ?
Very much a muchness Forge. They have to come up to the CE standard. I still prefer proper chain mail personally,but they do work. The only downside imo is stab resistance.Slicing,yes,but stab,I wouldn’t trust it. My boning knife ,I tend to Scandi- grind and I grind to a real point for joint dislocation,and I wouldn’t trust a soft glove for a REAL stab.Hope that helps.

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

One company I worked for brought in a mandatory glove use policy. This was in the building industry and we were provided with several different types of gloves all made by dupont. The "anti cut" type were the most commonly used and were really quite good in that role. They were less effective against sharp pointy things but we had gloves that did that job better. We even had a quite tight glove for when we were doing fiddly stuff such as using pins or screws although most of us would still take them off for such roles. They weren't waterproof that needed a different type which seems to say there wasn't a glove that did everything and they all seemed to wear through from abrasion at some point.