From high technology to low technology

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Vitamin c

Re: From high technology to low technology

Post by Vitamin c »

Their was a good thread about pottage on here not so long ago it's where I got the idea from , I use caned beans frozen peas and yes oats but you can use pearl barley or mix of each i like oats as theirs no pre soak unlike barly , split peas are good but require soaking.
I eat it as it comes just warmed in micro often I'll split it into 8 portions this will last me 2 days yes it's a bit samey but it's good nutrition and cheap.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:58 pm Their was a good thread about pottage on here not so long ago it's where I got the idea from , I use caned beans frozen peas and yes oats but you can use pearl barley or mix of each i like oats as theirs no pre soak unlike barly , split peas are good but require soaking.
I eat it as it comes just warmed in micro often I'll split it into 8 portions this will last me 2 days yes it's a bit samey but it's good nutrition and cheap.
AH! I went at it a bit like a bull at a fence. :oops: :lol:
Nothing got pre-soaked. The broth mix said to do so for 12 hours. I think the swedes and parsnips will struggle, too.

Here's a sneak peek of the ingredients:-
All equal measure of one small yoghurt pot full.
Dehydrated parsnip strips.
Dehydrated swede cubes, originally 15mm.
Dehydrated red onions, loosely packed. *
Dehydrated leek slices, loosely packed. *
Dehydrated carrot cubes, originally 10mm. *
Dehydrated beetroot cubes, originally 15mm (Half a measure only)
Dehydrated sliced tomatoes, loosely packed.
Soup and broth mix (Home Bargain)
2 teaspoon dried garlic slices
1 Oxo
Boiled water to generously cover. I already had to add some.

* Really old stockpile ingredients, maybe a bit oxidised.

I WILL add some herbs.
I MAY add some oil or wine.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I don't think you can get the recipe wrong..... There isn't one :lol:

Pottage is just beans and/or grains*, stock (or just water if things are 'tight') and whatever veg you have (fresh but stored veg, dried veg, tinned, frozen or WHY) and maybe some raw or cooked meat ( anything you have. The end of a roast, sausage, corned beef, chicken and biltong all work) chucked in a pot and simmered for a long time.
Pot au fur, Cassoulet, Scouse (uses potatos) are all types of pottage.

I've seen Medieval recipes that use dried fruit and loads of sugar.... But those are more posh banquet then labourer's dinner.

*Often pottage was bean based and served with bread..... They didn't know what Protein was but they did know that you needed both pulses and grains if you had a meat light diet
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:40 pm I don't think you can get the recipe wrong..... There isn't one :lol:
Don't underestimate me. :)
This one is to be for my From ration lists to meal plan thread. where I try to make imaginative meals from stockpiled foods.

So far.... and it's early days, this soup looks like having quite an earthy root veg flavour, which is likely to need seasoning and mellowing with something. It's also looking tight to get it edible by suppertime, so maybe lunch tomorrow.
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:40 pm Pottage is just beans and/or grains*, stock (or just water if things are 'tight') and whatever veg you have...maybe some raw or cooked meat...Cassoulet, Scouse... are all types of pottage....
*Often pottage was bean based and served with bread...
Locally we have 'lobby' usually based on a parsnip, a carrot, an onion, a spud and leftovers from the sunday joint.

But this concoction won't be like those. For a start, it will probably get blitzed and with the beetroot, it's rather purple :shock: .

Here's my previous attempt at a broth/pottage
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

STEW.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:45 pmSTEW.
In Crewe, it's stew. In Stoke, it's lobby. Very similar to each-other. Mum's lobby only ever used left-over beef (cheapest brisket). MIL's stew used fresh steak and kidneys. (They had more money.

jansman

Post by jansman »

Whatever the local name is, it’s a proper dinner.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Speaking of technology ..I was in the supermarket and the man in front of me paid for his couple of goods in cash ..cashier laughed and said oh I've forgotten how to give change out ..nobody uses it any more
I piped up I was paying in cash too so I hope she remembered fast
She said to the man have you a email address I can take today ( prob to bombard him with offers )
No thanks he said
Postcode ? ..she said .. again no thanks
He looked at me and said i don't have a email address I dont have a mobile phone and I pay with cash
He was maybe late 40s into early 50s
I paid also then last night was thinking
Could I get through life without the email address or phone number
I'm posting on here via my phone
I receive emails for MR GG to go to have blood tests or go collect medication..and texts to say the prescriptions are ready
I only have two direct debits in the bank but had to as there was no other way to pay
And I pay the other bills via the apps that they're all shoving at us whilst looking at the online banking to see how broke I am
Unless he was some kind of special forces in hiding or lived in a cave on the moors I applaud him because as much as I would love to do that ..I dont think I could
Could anyone else ?
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

GeeGee wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:53 am Speaking of technology ..I was in the supermarket and the man in front of me paid for his couple of goods in cash ..cashier laughed and said oh I've forgotten how to give change out ..nobody uses it any more
She said to the man have you a email address I can take today ( prob to bombard him with offers )
No thanks he said
Postcode ? ..she said .. again no thanks
He looked at me and said i don't have a email address I dont have a mobile phone and I pay with cash
He was maybe late 40s into early 50s
I paid also then last night was thinking
Could I get through life without the email address or phone number
I'm posting on here via my phone
I receive emails for MR GG to go to have blood tests or go collect medication..and texts to say the prescriptions are ready
I only have two direct debits in the bank but had to as there was no other way to pay
And I pay the other bills via the apps that they're all shoving at us whilst looking at the online banking to see how broke I am
Unless he was some kind of special forces in hiding or lived in a cave on the moors I applaud him because as much as I would love to do that ..I dont think I could
Could anyone else ?
I believe you would enjoy the YouTube channel by a guy called woodlander he lives off grid and has no bank account , makes his own power and no bank account.
Fill er up jacko...
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

GeeGee wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:53 am Speaking of technology ..I was in the supermarket and the man in front of me paid for his couple of goods in cash ..cashier laughed and said oh I've forgotten how to give change out ..nobody uses it any more

I almost always use cash, I like to know how much I'm spending, all I have to do is open my purse and see how much is left. I do however have to use technology to get it, usually ATM at Tescos. I have to pay some bills by direct debit too and use automated services by phoning in to pay others - using debit card. It is impossible to exist without coming in contact with technology. I wish it wasn't so. I have a mobile phone, not that it's much use as I have to go 6miles down the road to get a signal. Rely on my landline to keep in contact and given the state of things don't expect to see a mobile phone mast here anytime soon .Don't give out my email address often and keep my security up to date ( thanks to son as I'm a tech idiot).

Short of that cave you mentioned, don't see any way to exist without tech. all I can do is try to minimise it.