From high technology to low technology

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: From high technology to low technology

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:16 am One company I worked for brought in a mandatory glove use policy. This was in the building industry and we were provided with several different types of gloves all made by dupont. The "anti cut" type were the most commonly used and were really quite good in that role. They were less effective against sharp pointy things but we had gloves that did that job better. We even had a quite tight glove for when we were doing fiddly stuff such as using pins or screws although most of us would still take them off for such roles. They weren't waterproof that needed a different type which seems to say there wasn't a glove that did everything and they all seemed to wear through from abrasion at some point.
The last sentence makes a good point, if you’ll forgive the pun :roll: When I work on a beef pace line, we had thin insulative gloves to go under the chain mail, as it got so cold it hurt. There’s a proper tool for every job isn’t there?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I toyed with the idea of using the phrase " there's not a one size fits all" but thought it was a pun too far :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:45 pm I toyed with the idea of using the phrase " there's not a one size fits all" but thought it was a pun too far :D
Ha ha! It did cross my mind too! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

So a slash proof glove....

on the other hand a stab proo...... I'll get my coat :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

:lol:
pseudonym wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:51 pm So a slash proof glove....

on the other hand a stab proo...... I'll get my coat :mrgreen:
:lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:44 pm
I’ve just been out and locked the hens in and covered the rabbits. I looked at the log piles on the way down and wondered if my vision of self sufficiency when I was 24 years old was so well thought through.Now I approach my 60th year,with a bad back,knackered knees,and a day of work tomorrow that involves processing two lambs, a pig and a body of beef,I start to see the attraction of flicking a switch to provide heat. On the other hand,maybe I’d be bored without it? :lol: :lol:
Sounds like you need young serfs...I mean to run a skill training camp.
Find yourself some eager ones that want to exchange a week's labour for tutoring in basic butchering and homesteading.
Like Tom & Barbara did
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bf_IWFs2lV8
jansman

Post by jansman »

Cocotte wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:18 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:44 pm
I’ve just been out and locked the hens in and covered the rabbits. I looked at the log piles on the way down and wondered if my vision of self sufficiency when I was 24 years old was so well thought through.Now I approach my 60th year,with a bad back,knackered knees,and a day of work tomorrow that involves processing two lambs, a pig and a body of beef,I start to see the attraction of flicking a switch to provide heat. On the other hand,maybe I’d be bored without it? :lol: :lol:
Sounds like you need young serfs...I mean to run a skill training camp.
Find yourself some eager ones that want to exchange a week's labour for tutoring in basic butchering and homesteading.
Like Tom & Barbara did
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bf_IWFs2lV8
Ha ha, you’ll be lucky. We have two daughters who detest gardening. The young couple next door are the same.

Robert Frost.

Me.