What are the best meat cans to buy in uk?

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What are the best meat cans to buy in uk?

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:37 am Nah. I grew up near the sea but never really took to eating shellfish (except lobster and crab) Now there's a thought. Maybe I should lay in a couple of tins of crab?
My wife keeps tinned crab in ,as she loves it. We like an old fashioned tinned salmon and cucumber sandwich too! So salmon is always on the shelf. Another favourite is tinned tuna ‘n’ sweetcorn (tinned) sandwich,mixed with Mrs J’s vegan mayonnaise ( sadly she cannot eat eggs).In fact,tinned fish in whatever form is rather good IMHO. I enjoy sardines and mackerel ,so they are always in the pantry.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I always have tinned tuna, mackerel in tomato sauce, and anchovies in. Anchovies have been a lifesaver this week - they are a key ingredient in puttanesca pasta sauce, a wonderful 'made from the store cupboard' staple in my house.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I may have mentioned this before but some time ago on site in the depths of winter a hot lunch was always welcome. We had a baby burco boiler for making tea but for some reason no microwave so we improvised and put a shallow pan of water on top of the boiler and placed cans of stew , beans or whatever into it. They probably "cooked" for around three hours and warmed up just right.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Stagg Chilli - surprisingly good. And if you get the Dynamite version then you only need half a tin with rice and something dashed over the top (tzatziki/greek yoghurt) to cool it off. It's good stuff though, and even though I don't have a lot of tinned meat, I'll be getting more of this. I got a good deal on Amazon - six tins for about £10.00 I think I paid.

The tinned meat I have is M&S tinned steak/minced beef and chicken in a white sauce or chicken curry.

I have a lot of tuna - NOT flakes because it's vile. Tuna steak in either spring water or oil - never brine (this is where we need a nauseated emoji)
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

The only two canned meats are like are bacon grill and corned beef. They are also the most versatile. Corned beef hash and corned beef stovies with lashings of Lee and Perrins ,,, yummy
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I always have corned beef, tuna, mackerel, stewed steak in gravy, tinned curry and chicken in white sauce. None of them are particularly cheap but the steak and chicken make decent pies with some additions. We often take tinned meat camping, much easier to keep if we cant keep the coolbox as cold as it needs to be in hot weather. Both the mackerel and tuna have to be in sunflower oil though as Im not a fan of anything in brine.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Got to be luncheon meat,as it is a superb fishing bait… which means we can eat fish too. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Thinking back though my Mum and Granny used to buy cheap cuts of meat, the ones which need cooking slower for a long period of time. Shoulder of lamb, cheaper cuts of beef, chuck steak, blade, liver etc and used to make some great meals although the thought of pigs trotters still makes me heave. I do think that the meat eaters who aren't willing to go veggie and those with the knowledge may start to consider cooking these again although they obviously are not as cheap as back in the day. We both take packed lunches to work and the price of cooked meats has increased stupidly. It now works out cheaper to buy and cook the small frozen meat joints from the supermarket.
Growing old disgracefully!
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Think it was called scrag neck round here back in the day self explanatory I suppose ..the neck end of whatever joint .... I remember my gran boiling it for what seemed like days smelt ace but I dont remember eating it 😂 I must have though ...
The liquid was then turned into a stew with whatever veg she had managed to get
The packed meats now have massively jumped in price
Spam had gone up too but pretty versatile chopped in pasta and fried etc but Medusa you brought back a memory there !
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Medusa wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:52 pm Thinking back though my Mum and Granny used to buy cheap cuts of meat, the ones which need cooking slower for a long period of time. Shoulder of lamb, cheaper cuts of beef, chuck steak, blade, liver etc and used to make some great meals although the thought of pigs trotters still makes me heave. I do think that the meat eaters who aren't willing to go veggie and those with the knowledge may start to consider cooking these again although they obviously are not as cheap as back in the day. We both take packed lunches to work and the price of cooked meats has increased stupidly. It now works out cheaper to buy and cook the small frozen meat joints from the supermarket.
Down memory lane :)
I recall mum sending me to the butchers in the meat market with 50p to get a piece of brisket 'about 50p' I was embarrassed when he weighed it and asked for 55p. She used to have belly pork with tinned tomatoes and dipping bread for her saturday lunch. Dad used to have tripe in vinegar or 'hodge'* ot chitterlings or braun. Disgusting! I had an aunt and uncle who loved kidneys 'with all the fat on'. Both lived to be 90, Dad made it to 93.
We've recently gone back to brisket in preference to topside or silverside. Easier on the elder's dentures and so much tastier. Six hours in the slow cooker it becomes fantastically tender and juicy. Nothing like the fatty hard roll that Mum used to cook in the oven, There's a lot to be said for cheap cuts of meat, where cheap is most definitely a relative term.
At the two nearest towns, ALL the butchers stands in the back of the indoor market have gone. They used to be thriving areas. Indeed, I only know of two traditional butchers shop within 15 miles! And one looks ready to retire and opens short hours. Another twenty years and folk will be looking back at the olden days where mum and dad used to eat pigs and cow meat.

*Hodge doesn't even feature in online dictionaries.... It's stomach muscle. I suspect it's a local dialect name https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2people ... 4787.shtml

Anyway... Back to topic, briefly....... The best meat to buy.... Fish still gets my vote. You can get tinned Ox tongue for just £40 per kilo
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /268180866
or Pigs tongue for just £16 per kilo
https://groceries.asda.com/product/cold ... 0000422744

Get'em while stocks last :mrgreen:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong