What are the best meat cans to buy in uk?

How are you preparing
British Red

Re: What are the best meat cans to buy in uk?

Post by British Red »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:16 pm
hewking102 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:41 am hi All
Could you please help me and suggest what are the best meat cans to buy in uk?
I am so glad i found this forum!
Regards
Hi and welcome.
It all depends on your priorities for said meat? With my objective of stashing some value for money protein for major food disruption, I went for low price per kilo as my main criterium. But it was with mixed success.

Generalising: Explore Lidl and Aldi. Consider ideal can sizes for your situation. Biggest is often NOT best value for money.

Calculate the cost per Kg and compare like for like. Pay attention to potential BBE date issues.

Luncheon Meats: There's so much rubbish. Don't ask what goes into it.
Princes is one of the most common brands of medium to modest quality with matching price.
Chicken in White sauce: Always look at the percentage meat on the label. Typically 34% to 45%. Sainsbury's is good but expensive. Some uses Brazillian chicken which is reared inhumanely. Do you care?
Stewing steak pie fillings etc: Check the ingredients.
Corned Beef: Always LONG shelf life, but there are surprising differences in quality. E.g. You can tell Asda home brand corned beef from Princes, just by looking at the layer of fat. So buy one tin of each candidate and sample them.
Meatballs in sauce: Tesco's Everyday Value meatballs are bloody awful and strongly laxative. Beware anything made from Mechanically recovered meat (MRM)
Various Bacon Grills: Again, there's much diversity in quality. Lidl's is pretty good, but they don't always stock it. Tulip brand from Tesco is a bit pants.
Pek Pork: This is often one of the cheapest meat products. Totally disgusting pigs' Ar5es.
Morrison's canned chicken. Very good, but somewhat expensive. Tiny tins.
If you want absolute cheapest meat protein: Buy hot dog sausages in jars. Tins usually have too much water. They're MRM Chicken or pork or 'other'

Give some thought to meat substitutes or padders. Holland and Barratt savoury soya mince is good and you can pad fresh meat out discretely. Plus it lasts forever.

Also give thought to Fish. Come good fish deals in Home Bargain or Iceland.

Now. back to you? Why the focus on meat?
Outstanding post ma'am
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

My tinned meat selection is

Mince and onions
fray bentos pies (yep i can cook them in the tin on a camping stove :lol: )
tuna
sardines
salmon
chicken curry

Also getting some spam and tinned pork when i get paid as well.

I also have a few bags of dried TVP as well as they work for making bolognese, chilli etc
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

oh and i have rather alot of meatballs in tins as well :lol:
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:51 am oh and i have rather alot of meatballs in tins as well :lol:
What sort? I do hope they are not Tesco's Everyday value. If they are, then pair them up with some imodium.
But seriously. Have you tried them and do you like them?

I have a few tins of Westlers Burgers In Gravy.. They're an odd choice in that they are cheap and fundamentally very rubbish. But crumble in an OXO and assemble into a chip butty and they are great. Another one where you have to tune out what they are made of.
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:36 am
Jerseyspud wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:51 am oh and i have rather alot of meatballs in tins as well :lol:
What sort? I do hope they are not Tesco's Everyday value. If they are, then pair them up with some imodium.
But seriously. Have you tried them and do you like them?

I have a few tins of [url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Westlers-Burge ... 277&sr=8-1[/url]. They're an odd choice in that they are cheap and fundamentally very rubbish. But crumble in an OXO and assemble into a chip butty and they are great. Another one where you have to tune out what they are made of.
fray bentos lol

we dont get tesco value here :(

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:37 am
fray bentos lol

we dont get tesco value here :(
OMG. I recognise that orange gloop sauce anywhere. Identical in looks to Tescos and the ingredients reads the same. I can still recall the sickly sweet sauce.
Seriously. Have you sampled them and found them ok?
I note they call them 'Chicken meat'...
Fray Bentos meatballs
amazon reviewer wrote:Just imagine that you are the worst cook on Earth and your goal is to create the most unappetizing, unpalatable, and uninspired food ever. In this case, you will probably be just a humble apprentice of the cook that invented this watered-down bland concoction of lumpy chemical elements. I wonder if they've ever tasted this supposedly man-made organic compound. Was it some kind of scientific experiment of creating food exclusively out of crude oil? If so, colonizing Mars would have only one problem - surviving with this kind of molecular mixture.
Tesco Meatballs manage a 1.2* rating and the comments for that are scathing.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /306661169
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

yeah weve tried them before. just made our own sauce for them the one time, other time mashed them down and made burgers and added own seasoning etc

Is a meal if needed lol

Smudge

Post by Smudge »

hewking102 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:41 am hi All
Could you please help me and suggest what are the best meat cans to buy in uk?
I am so glad i found this forum!
Regards
Speaking for my own stores, corned beef, lidls hotdogs sausages, tuna, salmon, a few tins of Stagg chilli and a few tins of Princes minced beef and stewed steak... mostly its tuna and cornedbeef though.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

we mostly have fish in stock - salmon, tuna steaks and pilchards and some tinned ham. (Tuna flake is usualy just mush while the tuna steak is more like I remember the flakes being)
Tinned ham takes me back to my childhood when it was served frequently. We are no longer able to eat beef or chicken but my mum used to make a mean stew for 6 people out of lots of veg and one 400g can of stewed beef. I think that is the key with tinned meats - they are best used in small quantities along with a lot of better tasting ingredients to pad them out.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Sardines in sunflower oil , drain out oil in frying pan add spuds and veg cook then add fish .

Oil is 120 cal per table spoon so a good sauce of extra calories.
If you don't eat the oil their are loads of great things to do with it.
Fill er up jacko...