Looking for garden ideas

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Arzosah

Re: Looking for garden ideas

Post by Arzosah »

Peat is going to be banned from 2024, I think, because using it for gardening is *really* bad for the planet - releases huge amounts of CO2 when there are perfectly fine alternatives than *prevent* CO2 build up, not add to it.

frnc, about your cat problem - you might try sprinkling ground pepper, bought in bulk from somewhere like healthy supplies https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/black ... -500g.html
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:48 pm Peat is going to be banned from 2024, I think, because using it for gardening is *really* bad for the planet - releases huge amounts of CO2 when there are perfectly fine alternatives than *prevent* CO2 build up, not add to it.

frnc, about your cat problem - you might try sprinkling ground pepper, bought in bulk from somewhere like healthy supplies https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/black ... -500g.html
I’ll go back to making my own John Innes when that happens. I only need it for seed sowing.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:57 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:15 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:10 pm
Tell us about your sq Metre kit? .
I'll race you from seed to plate!
Ok, my raised bed kit is a [am I allowed to say the make?] RAISED GROW BED, £34.80 free delivery. Recycled black plastic. I don't know if it's food grade but the same one is sold by the compost shop so I'll assume it's ok.
Compost I ordered: 2 x coco Peat Free Organic Coir Compost - 5kg Block, Expands 70 Litres of Premium Compost, £14.99 each free delivery.
Plus this [am I allowed to say where from?]: Soil conditioner organic and vegan friendly 50L compost mulch £13.99 free delivery.
I also ordered some seed potatoes £5.99 free delivery from a Scottish seed potatoes company. Ordered some categorised as first early I think, you get them quicker, lower yield but less prone to disease. You can grow them in a raised bed, you just have to pile a bit of compost on top of any potatoes near the surface.
Not gonna fork the lawn, Dowding reckons no need.
So, I just need to do some research and order some seeds. I don't like beetroot. I fancy some beans, carrots, onions, lettuce, cauliflower, and, can you grow peas? I love peas. You could live off that mix, just about. Swiss chard sounds OK though, I'll probably give that a try.
Should I be adding soil as well?
Race is on!!
I'll have a look for that magazine, thanks.
I don't know if you are allowed to say. I expect so, but I know some outlinks are frowned on.
You went long life, expensive * kit, which compares to my blagged pallet home build lash up. I've given instructions to cut corners on construction quality 😀 last planter used a hundred quid of decking. These will only have nice decking on the most visible side. Last night I downloaded and read a pretty good book on no dig. Cover to cover by 1àm 😀 will ping you a link.. Actually your plastic kit sounds great value. Send me a link?
Just been to b&m, Wickes and local garden centres and checked various compost prices. Will probably go for a mix something like 2 topsoil to 2 general purpose compost to 1 farmyard manure. A bit of a cheapskate I'll try to pick out compromise value for money stuff based on cost per litre. I will avoid peat and coir after reading they are nutrient poor.

Spuds... I read they need full sunlight.
Peas and beans are supposedly dead easy and as a vertical crop will use little space. I'm not big on eating greens but Swiss chard sauted with garlic and butter is to die for. Also a spinach substitute if you like spinach. Grows like crazy. Photos to follow. I'll show you mine if you show me yours 😀
The only outlinks frowned upon are the ones made by members who use UK Preppers as a platform to make money.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:53 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:57 pm
I don't know if you are allowed to say. I expect so, but I know some outlinks are frowned on.otos to follow. I'll show you mine if you show me yours 😀
The only outlinks frowned upon are the ones made by members who use UK Preppers as a platform to make money.
Thanks for clarifying, Jansman. That sounds right.
I always thought I knew the spam boundary.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:48 pm Peat is going to be banned from 2024, I think, because using it for gardening is *really* bad for the planet - releases huge amounts of CO2 when there are perfectly fine alternatives than *prevent* CO2 build up, not add to it.

Will look into that, cheers. I've ordered a mesh tent with a frame made of aluminium poles which is a bit bigger than my bed, so should fit nicely and I can peg it down. Bit of a mither, but it will keep the cats out. I might put some pepper elsewhere though. I put some vinnegar down tonight, where they'd left their you know what.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:49 pm

I’ll go back to making my own John Innes when that happens. I only need it for seed sowing.
I just bought a composter, gonna do that. You probably know all this, but for anyone interested, can put weeds in, grass clippings, prunings, cardboard (brown), teabags, uncooked veg, fruit peel, eggshells and the worms crawl up into it and break it all down.