Hi, first post

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Frnc

Hi, first post

Post by Frnc »

Hi, been prepping for a while. Started off slow, I think Covid got me more into it. Over the last 2 years I've built up a pretty good bugout kit, and a bit of INCH gear. My plan is to try to use my mountain bike if possible. I have pannier bags and a rucksack. Of course bugging in is preferable.

Recently I've started to buy books on edible plants and mushrooms, trying to learn some. I have a couple of smaller books that would be light enough to bug out with. This is a huge learning curve. Of course I use the 'net as well, eg youtube vids.

I think my next thing might be to convert the garden to some sort of edibles.

I hope you are all doing OK at this uncertain time, with Covid mostly done we now have rising inflation and a crazy war going on in Ukraine.
bobble

Re: Hi, first post

Post by bobble »

Welcome to the forum! 😃
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Welcome to the forum.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, frnc. That sounds like you're assuming you'll need to bug out no matter what? Do you have a location in mind? Has the pandemic changed your mind about the importance of living in a safe space?
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Hullo and welcome - you'll find loads of good info on the forum that may help with that learning curve. Us lot on here are always learning from each other no matter how many years we have been trying to be a bit more prepared than the average Joe.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

PreppingPingu wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:54 pm Us lot on here are always learning from each other no matter how many years we have been trying to be a bit more prepared than the average Joe.
Oh that's so true, not only do we learn all the time, things change and I find the advice and opinions here help make sense of things that crop up in our lives. So welcome to the forum, I hope you find us useful. Growing your own food is always a good idea, so good luck with that project
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:16 pm Hi, been prepping for a while. Started off slow, I think Covid got me more into it. Over the last 2 years I've built up a pretty good bugout kit, and a bit of INCH gear. My plan is to try to use my mountain bike if possible. I have pannier bags and a rucksack. Of course bugging in is preferable.

Recently I've started to buy books on edible plants and mushrooms, trying to learn some. I have a couple of smaller books that would be light enough to bug out with. This is a huge learning curve. Of course I use the 'net as well, eg youtube vids.

I think my next thing might be to convert the garden to some sort of edibles.

I hope you are all doing OK at this uncertain time, with Covid mostly done we now have rising inflation and a crazy war going on in Ukraine.
Hi and welcome.
Before you disappear too far down the bug out rabbit-hole, maybe watch the video in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17555

Not that there is any such thing as wrong way to be prepared, it's just that we TEND to explore solutions that are flexible. E.g. a full pantry and a few thousand in the home safe can help in oh so many scenarios where a tent and a camping stove might not.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:43 pm Welcome to the forum, frnc. That sounds like you're assuming you'll need to bug out no matter what? Do you have a location in mind? Has the pandemic changed your mind about the importance of living in a safe space?
I probably do concentrate a bit too much on bugging out. But of course wild edibles could be foraged if bugging in. My bugout location plan is basically to head to the nearest bit of green belt, then out into the agricultural areas of Cheshire, and then maybe either east towards the Peak District or west towards Chester. The pandemic hasn't really affected things other than to remind me how things can change. I always knew pandemic was one of the most likely scenarios. I guess I find bugout prep a bit more interesting than bug-in, but realistically bugging in makes most sense if possible. Of course a lot depends on who you are with, and what the situation is like in the area in general.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

bobble wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:01 pm Welcome to the forum! 😃
Thank you, and to the others who've replied, appreciated.