Heating one room ?

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Heating one room ?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:56 pm Oh there's an idea ta xx It's a VIEMANN vitodens 050 and there's a huge thick handbook up on the shelf above it..

Cheeky edit you put 500 :lol:

There's three sub models depending on boiler size
Screenshot_20220308-180347.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Sorry yes, I read it wrong. 050.
Does this mean anything to you -
Rated heat output
50/30 °C kW 3,2 – 19,0 3,2 – 25,0
80/60 °C kW 2,9 – 17,1 2,9 – 22,4
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Given that the US and the UK havejust announced a ban on Russian oil/gas imports, one room is probably what most of us will be able to afford to heat going forward.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:13 pm Sorry yes, I read it wrong. 050.
Does this mean anything to you -
Rated heat output
50/30 °C kW 3,2 – 19,0 3,2 – 25,0
80/60 °C kW 2,9 – 17,1 2,9 – 22,4
Have you got a picture of the ratings plate?

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:40 am Meanwhile a modern type of heavily insulated house just warms the air so it heats up quickly and cheaply but it cools down as soon as someone opens the door or window
Heavy door and window curtains will help in a modern house. For stone walls and modern heating you could try insulating the walls with wall hangings and using thick carpet/rugs on a concrete floor
Internal doors are the key to just having one warm room. Open the lounge door and the warm air dissipates to make that room cold, but not enough to let the rest of the house feel warm.
Depending on how you heat the house, if you have central heating, with individual radiator stats, keeping internal doors closed is essential for any kind of efficiency. Draughts can make a nominally warm room feel cold. Leaving internal doors open makes a mockery of any attempt to use individual radiator thermostats.
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:37 pm Obv the gas is cheaper but I think gas heating uses a lot of elect too in the pump etc? So should I add the gas & elect cost together per hour the heating is on then?
I'm sorry to be dense here - for 40 years we've had coal open fires and am just not used to this :cry:
No.
Though electricity is needed to make the gas boiler and pump work, it uses a negligible amount of electricity.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Another "bad idea" in my eyes is the trend for open plan houses. Nice to have some space but a bugger to heat and it lets cooking smells everywhere. The extension I've been working on is a prime example extended kitchen and two living rooms all in one . Our local pub has gone down the same route and it's now much noisier too.
I grew up in a house with limited heating , certainly nothing upstairs. We had central heating put in ( not long before or not long after I moved out I can't really remember) but my parents seemed reluctant to use it. They frequently just heated the one room with a combination of an open fire and a butane heater. That room also doubled as my mother's bedroom when she began to have trouble with the stairs. The kitchen was generally unheated save for what came off the cooker. To be honest they could have afforded to heat more of the house but chose not to.
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:25 pm Given that the US and the UK havejust announced a ban on Russian oil/gas imports, one room is probably what most of us will be able to afford to heat going forward.
I too,suspect the same.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:57 pm
diamond lil wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:37 pm Obv the gas is cheaper but I think gas heating uses a lot of elect too in the pump etc? So should I add the gas & elect cost together per hour the heating is on then?
I'm sorry to be dense here - for 40 years we've had coal open fires and am just not used to this :cry:
No.
Though electricity is needed to make the gas boiler and pump work, it uses a negligible amount of electricity.
In the region of 100-150watts older systems with bigger pumps will obviously use more... Our newer boiler is "smart / energy saving".

Unlike the old boiler that grafted it's backside off until the thermostat hit the preset then clicked off

It heats the water shoves it round until the returning water is hot...

Then it cuts out it then listens to what the thermostat in the hall is doing..

if it's rising it holds back until it begins to drop them fires up again once it gets a detectable rise it cuts out again once it hits the set target it stays off till it drops .. it's got several "presets" built in so not only can you have it on / off at set times you can set Temperatures depending on time of day..

Night / away from home / at home

Night time it's set to 15°c. Away from home 18°c. At home 20..... So between 8 at night it goes to night mode . 6am comes on to 20°c till half 7 ... I've programmed it Monday to Friday to go back to night mode between 7:30 and 4:30 when we are at work at 4:30 pm it goes onto away from home so raised temperature for when we get home but not mad hot as we come home and cook dinner so the cooker tops up the heat ....... The 6pm it boosts up to 20 before bed for kids bath time....

It cut our bill by about half. There's more sophisticated kit on the market but it works

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Like Grenfell I grew up in a home with limited heating and my grandparents place was much the same.

We had storage heaters in the living room, dining room and hallways. nothing in the bedrooms. a "Dimplex" pull cord electric heater in the bathroom and a gas fire in the lounge. And this was a new build single glazed 1960s house with big windows. We were professional class, not broke. That was just how things rocked back then. I didn't live in a house with central heating until my teens. My parents hated using it and blamed it for the previous owners kids having bad asthma...

Meanwhile my grandparents aged late 70s had a single glazed bungalow with a solid fuel hot water boiler, electric fire in the lounge, electric Dimplex in the bathroom and that was it. And they thought they were fine too.

We've all gone soft. I think we may be about to toughen up again. Forcibly.