Nervous newbie, hello brave new world?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jennyjj01

Re: Nervous newbie, hello brave new world?

Post by jennyjj01 »

Opti wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:36 pm I did look into dehydrators but after a glut of tomatoes thought bottling was the way to go (until I wimped out and froze the harvest!). Definitely something to look into though.
They are brilliant at two things: Saving storage space: Processing gluts and yellow sticker bargains. You can literally fit a sack of produce, dehydrated, into a litre mason jar. Suck out the air with a 5 quid brake bleed pump and you have a long term stash. Even if you don;t suck out the air, you can keep your food for MANY months without wasting precious freezer space. Can 'canning' save volume like that?
The night vision glasses realistically will be used to see if we have hedgehogs,
Cool! You can detect hedgehogs by sitting quiet and listening. They are usually flea infested and you will hear the poor souls scratching themselves.
How do you plan to be prepared when there seem to be so many things to need to be prepared for? :?
And that is the exact correct first question! Consider a few scenarios, Rank them in likelyhood and solution and try to find ideas that cut across them. E.g. A well stocked pantry might help in case of hurricane, flood, power outage, unemployment, pandemic etc. A tent or crossbow might not be so universally useful. Go for max bang for your buck. And have fun. If you ever wanted to buy some solar powered torches or a backup supply of Merlot, indulge yourself.
So relieved this isn't a site of hard core preppers. My idea of roughing it is a 3* hotel and bugging out could either mean extra mosquito repellent or a delicious Ozzie BBQ. Just aiming for me and mine to be OK until normality is resumed. In case of a SHTF moment look me up, my emergency bag has merlot.
Oh. we are hard core alright. Just much more pragmatic than our US cousins with their multi acre homesteads, deep cellars, and deadly criminals.
We might be stuck in a small council flat with a window box and the odd invading mouse.
Again.... Share your own ideas. Share for example links to cheap night vision specs :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:47 pm Again.... Share your own ideas. Share for example links to cheap night vision specs :)
I have a generation 1 (gen 1) Monocular with infra red capabilities, purchased back in 2001, its still good out to 75 yards but outdated nowadays,
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

And here's the advantage of sharing ... a brake bleed pump? Hello sailor :mrgreen: Jenny, you star 🌟

Hedgehogs ... put some tomatoes out late at night :) I used to get a veg box delivered, and they could only do it on the night when I got home at midnight after working in London. Absent-mindedly brought it in one time and it started rustling and my cats were goggle-eyed :mrgreen: took it outside again a few minutes later, so the hedgehog could climb out and it's friend was already looking for it 🦔🦔
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:42 pm And here's the advantage of sharing ... a brake bleed pump? Hello sailor :mrgreen: Jenny, you star 🌟
OMG. I paid 4 quid for mine delivered with Prime. The same kit is 18 - 23 quid now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

£12 on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391718817400

Used with a foodsaver mason jar adapter from ebay US. ( which was a bit dear )

A great combo which saves getting the vacuum sealer out of the cupboard.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks for this. Sorry for the hijack, Opti - but that's real world interwebulators :mrgreen:
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi :D

Yes we are totally normal here :tinfoil

Actually we are

We also seem to have a thing about torches here...well some of us do!
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island