Surviving a nuclear attack.

Medical and Healthcare
jennyjj01

Re: Surviving a nuclear attack.

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:38 pm Thing is nukes now are a much more precision bomb.

There's also the different types of blasts. Emp, airburst or ground burst.

Emp is no fallout and no blast radius but fries electronica

Airburst is maximum fireball, blast radius and destruction but no fallout

Groundburst is fallout and big fireball. Mainly used if there would be government bunkers underneath to destroy.

This is probably common knowledge to most people on here but I like to share lol
Agreed there are many technical variants. But short of having experienced it. Thakn gord, there is so much we don't have a clue about. Lots of untested designs that someone would love to deploy
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've never paid attention to nuclear issues on a prepping level, Jerseyspud and Jenny - the only exception for me would be if a nuclear reactor in northern France had a meltdown and sent Chernobyl-type clouds our way. So, believe it or not, yes, those distinctions are valuable to have written down, thanks!
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Yes my main issue is if the power station over the water goes poof

Otherwise we will have anarchy without the fireworks
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

Not sure if this has been posted before, or if I'm allowed to post a link to a .pdf (mods feel free to shout at me ) and I've only read as far as expected damage within certain distances but looks fairly easy to understand and useful info.

https://remm.hhs.gov/PlanningGuidanceNu ... nation.pdf

DD
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Interesting read but I must admit I stopped before I depressed myself too much.
It got me thinking though, I grew up in the 70's & 80's about ~40 miles west of London, 15 miles from greenham common (when the Americans & nukes were still based there), 10 miles from AWRE (Atomic Weapons Research Establishment) and 20 miles from Aldershot.
We must have been a prime target and as a teenager I remember lots of dark jokes about the four minute warning but my parents must've been cakking it. Still, the end would've been quick.
I'm now in a relatively remote part of north Scotland (with three kids) where we'd have some sort of chance of surviving but I'm actually wondering which scenario is worse. Still, nothing I can actually do to change things apart keeping the stocks of food & water etc up so I won't stress too much :D
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Interesting read but I must admit I stopped before I depressed myself too much.
It got me thinking though, I grew up in the 70's & 80's about ~40 miles west of London, 15 miles from greenham common (when the Americans & nukes were still based there), 10 miles from AWRE (Atomic Weapons Research Establishment) and 20 miles from Aldershot.
We must have been a prime target and as a teenager I remember lots of dark jokes about the four minute warning but my parents must've been cakking it. Still, the end would've been quick.
I'm now in a relatively remote part of north Scotland (with three kids) where we'd have some sort of chance of surviving but I'm actually wondering which scenario is worse. Still, nothing I can actually do to change things apart keeping the stocks of food & water etc up so I won't stress too much :D
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

The way i look at it is this

If there is a chance of survival then i need to do everything i can to survive.

Where i am there is a realistic chance of survival so i have to pursue that
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

Jerseyspud wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:44 pm The way i look at it is this

If there is a chance of survival then i need to do everything i can to survive.

Where i am there is a realistic chance of survival so i have to pursue that
That's my view too....I don't 'think' I'm too close to a ground zero so I have to be aware of the few small things that might help.

DD
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I'm nowhere near any ground zero so it won't be a run into the light for me.

So i have to be prepared to survive the total anarchy that will be here.

So i have a plan

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I have a big Channel port about 15 miles away, and a big airport 10 miles in the other direction. If the targetting computers of an adversary are having good days, then I might be okay. If they're off, I'm toast :shock: :lol: