Surviving a nuclear attack.

Medical and Healthcare
ForgeCorvus

Re: Surviving a nuclear attack.

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Jerseyspud wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:03 pm I'm nowhere near any ground zero so it won't be a run into the light for me.

So i have to be prepared to survive the total anarchy that will be here.

So i have a plan
So you're here :)

I'm in Norfolk, we're either going to get nuked into a radioactive swamp or we'll get invaded and used to punish naughty Siberians :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

So, what I'm hearing is:

Tape up anything where dust could get in - air vents and chimneys, catflaps and any cracks/gaps in window frames. But would tape be enough or does it need to be a piece of thick plastic?
Buy FFP3 masks and wear them - inside?
Don't go out for at least two weeks? Longer? Then you do, make sure you strip and wash yourself/clothes in a decontamination room before moving round the rest of the house.
Buy a f**kton of water and keep it inside so that it can't be contaminated.

So you'll need also a wind up radio (will batteries work or does that depend on the type of blast?), wind up lighting, head torches, things to cook on (inside and safely) or just eat whatever's cold in tins (appetising :? ), bin bags, wet wipes, stuff to deal with toilet situations (assuming the water is off or can't be used due to contamination - and you don't want to use your precious waters stocks to flush the loo if you don't need to and you can't get rid of waste outside if it's not actually safe to go outside).

Is it safe to move around the house assuming that you've made it dust-proof? Or should you stay in one room?

This conversation passed ridiculous in the rear view mirror about 10 posts ago, but here we are, having a serious discussion about protecting ourselves from a mad Russian who may try to vaporise us. :lol: :shock:

Just gonna get a large glass of wine...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:14 pm So, what I'm hearing is:

Tape up anything where dust could get in - air vents and chimneys, catflaps and any cracks/gaps in window frames. But would tape be enough or does it need to be a piece of thick plastic?

Well that's the million dollar question IF your outside any form of blast zone and the glass stays in the frames and the food stays on your lucky :lol: any form of tape will do to keep out ze dust if your windows go in thick polythene will keep out the weather and the dust...

Don't go out for at least two weeks? Longer? Then you do, make sure you strip and wash yourself/clothes in a decontamination room before moving round the rest of the house. it won't harm and cover any exposed skin if you can gloves / hat/ goggles any part of your body with broken skin bandaged or covered depending on the type of bang / boom / flash 2 weeks was a good time for the older bombs modern stuff goodness knows

Buy a f**kton of water and keep it inside so that it can't be contaminated. yep

So you'll need also a wind up radio (will batteries work or does that depend on the type of blast?), wind up lighting, head torches, things to cook on (inside and safely) or just eat whatever's cold in tins (appetising :? ), bin bags, wet wipes, stuff to deal with toilet situations (assuming the water is off or can't be used due to contamination - and you don't want to use your precious waters stocks to flush the loo if you don't need to and you can't get rid of waste outside if it's not actually safe to go outside). times have changed most stuff is stuffed full of electronics most stuff will probably be dead / fried

Is it safe to move around the house assuming that you've made it dust-proof? Or should you stay in one room? inner most bit of the house the whole doors against the wall piled with crap was designed to be an additional level of radiation / blast protection

This conversation passed ridiculous in the rear view mirror about 10 posts ago, but here we are, having a serious discussion about protecting ourselves from a mad Russian who may try to vaporise us. :lol: :shock:

Just gonna get a large glass of wine... DONT FORGET THE CORKSCREW IN YOUR SAFE ROOM

Additional information here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gcXM6tfe9YM

:twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Don't go out for at least two weeks? Longer? Then you do, make sure you strip and wash yourself/clothes in a decontamination room before moving round the rest of the house.

So you'll need also a wind up radio (will batteries work or does that depend on the type of blast?), wind up lighting, head torches, things to cook on (inside and safely) or just eat whatever's cold in tins (appetising :? ), bin bags, wet wipes, stuff to deal with toilet situations (assuming the water is off or can't be used due to contamination - and you don't want to use your precious waters stocks to flush the loo if you don't need to and you can't get rid of waste outside if it's not actually safe to go outside).

Is it safe to move around the house assuming that you've made it dust-proof? Or should you stay in one room?

Just gonna get a large glass of wine...
That's pretty much it. You need to let some air in or you'll suffocate or die of fart poisoning :) Even a cloth filter over the vents should help let air in but keep dust down.

Keep the FFP3 on except while swigging the wine. Or say to hell with it and sit out on the patio and have a barbie.

Until there has been a blast, no fallout to worry about. Maybe dive into your inner sanctum after the first fallout warning, because you are going to have to survive there for at least a fortnight. Maybe sleep in your inner shelter? If there has been a fallout event, the dust outside your home will be radiating a bit, so stay deep and buried behind your 500mm of tins and bottles.
After a fallout event, pretty much confine yourself as deep into your hidey hole as you can as much as you can. Bin bags and wet wipes will BE the stuff to deal with toilet situations ! Toilet flushing..... Nooooo.

We might get the choice. Suffer the MOST outrageous living conditions for the slim chance to MAYBE survive the first wave, or say 'f It' and LIVE for a few minutes or hours.... Or anywhere in between. There won't be any rules.

Yesterday, there was an air raid siren test in my village. We were not told about it before or after, but it gave out a short burst of "WAAAAAAAOOOOOWWW". !!!!
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I can't make the quotes work the way I want them to (I think I should go to bed!) so I'm italicising my inserts.
Keyholes. Even modern keyholes let in a sizeable draft.
For some spaces, like a fireplace, I think you'd need a piece of thick plastic to be used, and tape it onto the wall around it. That's the mental image I have of what I need to do with mine.
For going out - I reckon I'd be wearing protective plastic glasses for a long time. I might even learn to use a long strip of plastic to tie around my head to protect my ears - stuff falls into your ears when you're outside, lets face it, and ears are connected to the nose and throat system.

Ug. My double glazing is being replaced a week this Friday, hopefully - I have nightmare visions of something happening during the day and them just walking off the job, desperate to get home to their families :shock: leaving my window spaces open to the elements.
I suppose if the whole house is dustproof, then there's nothing wrong with moving around inside. I'd be very reluctant to let any of my neighbours see what I'm doing, though, there are at least a couple of families I really don't trust.
It's deeply insane, isn't it, but currently seems to be necessary. I have no intention of dying from an attack whose worst consequences could be avoided with some care.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I do have an understairs cupboard that I can lie down in, but there's no chance of there being enough room in there for me and all the supplies I'll need for an enforced spell of isolation. I'd have to 'live' in there and emerge into the dining area for provisions. I could actually put a tarpaulin up and section the dining nook off from the rest of the kitchen and that would give me a bit of additional room outside of my cubby, to store everything.

*cannot believe we're having this conversation :lol: *
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:59 pm

Yesterday, there was an air raid siren test in my village. We were not told about it before or after, but it gave out a short burst of "WAAAAAAAOOOOOWWW". !!!!

Been a few things in the media about air raid sirens.. unlike France and many other eu countries we shut out warning system down in the early 1990's with the winding down of the civil defence

Only ones still in use are the COMHA industry accident alarms eg chemical plants and flood sirens in areas probe to flooding

itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I have an emergency alert on my phone which can make a noise even if my phone is on silent. Assuming of course it works as it should!

https://www.gov.uk/alerts

It doesn't mention impending nuclear annihilation, they may need to update the website. :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:37 pm I have an emergency alert on my phone which can make a noise even if my phone is on silent. Assuming of course it works as it should!

https://www.gov.uk/alerts

It doesn't mention impending nuclear Annihilation, they may need to update the website. :mrgreen:
It's not fully implemented yet guessing someone will be getting a kick up the bum to get it fully sorted asap :lol:

Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

and never forget your tin opener!
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island