Surviving a nuclear attack.

Medical and Healthcare
Nurseandy

Re: Surviving a nuclear attack.

Post by Nurseandy »

Don't like to be a grumpy git but let's cast our minds back to the first covid lockdown and how hard that was for people and we were "allowed" out for an hour a day with that one. If these nuclear (or any NBC) scenarios play out then it will be an exceptionally hard and not to mention terrifying time. Particularly as comms with outside world are going to be severely compromised and sitting in a barricaded dark room for an unknown duration with tape around the doors & windows ain't gonna be nice to say the least.

Having said all that, I did order some potassium iodide solution this morning in a vain attempt at preventing my children developing thyroid cancer in the event of a nuclear attack. If nothing else I'll be able to use it as a wound sanitizer or even water disinfectant if push came to shove. But let's hope its a wasted tenner.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

No one is saying its going to be a party at all.

I suppose we have a bit of gallows humour here
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Like this? :lol:
signal-2022-03-02-13-09-46-127.jpg
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Exactly like that :shock: :lol:
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Not a prep I am doing much specifically about or losing sleep over yet for the following reasons.

1) We are rather too close to a likely ground zero for comfort at 15 miles from Central London.
2) We are 4 up in a 2 bed first floor maisonette. We could maybe block the hallway off against blast damage but there would barely be enough room for the 4 of us to sit down let alone store anything or wait out a couple of weeks. No basements at all around here either.
3) I have no faith in TPTB to give us the courtesy of a 2 min warning. I think the first sign would be the actual explosion.
4) We are still a nuclear power and I am hoping Putin is not mad enough to attack someone who can bite back.

If I am wrong, I am probably not going to be around to hear "I told you so" from the rest of you.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Totally agree with your assessment. Putin can put most of Europe ( including the UK) into fuel poverty by turning a tap. He doesn't need to shoot at people who can shoot back.
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:46 pm Totally agree with your assessment. Putin can put most of Europe ( including the UK) into fuel poverty by turning a tap. He doesn't need to shoot at people who can shoot back.
That’s my take on it too. We reject Russian oil,he turns off the gas. Then Europe scrambles for fuel replacement on the global market.Then we pay…big time.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nurseandy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:28 pm Having said all that, I did order some potassium iodide solution this morning in a vain attempt at preventing my children developing thyroid cancer in the event of a nuclear attack. If nothing else I'll be able to use it as a wound sanitizer or even water disinfectant if push came to shove. But let's hope its a wasted tenner.
Thank you for the prompter to get some of this.
A quick bit of searching revealed that the tablet form Thyrosafe 65mg seems as rare as rocking horse poo. There are equivalent tablets and capsules from US amazon and US ebay and it doesn't seem to be a restricted 'prescription only' drug. But equally, you won't be picking this up in your local Boots. (I expect)
There are sources on ebay uk for it in saturated solution, but there seems to be some variation on what constitutes saturated or super saturated solution. Some in solutions so weak that you would need to glug the bottle. Note micrograms per drop is not milligrams per drop.
I did find a source that is supposedly of the correct concentration on ebay at £9.95 : Which might be what NurseAndy found. I also found 50g and 100g of pure KI in dry crystal form, again on ebay. I ordered a sachet of that.
There's a source of 30ml solution on amazon UK which I also felt confident to order at £25

Self medicating with this stuff only in the truest of SHTF scenarios.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Jerseyspud wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:36 am and never forget your tin opener!
I have many. And many bottle openers. :lol:
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I’m prepared.

If we have time, I’m going to visit the naughty neighbour of our street, buy lots of things Mr PC Plod would not approve of and sink as much of this as I can.

I’m only a few miles from Edinburgh Castle which is the obvious aiming point. I stand a fair chance of surviving if I can get over the bridge but after a few posts on here, I don’t think that would be happening so it would be cheerio and see you on the other side from me.

Russia just admitted that it has used thermobaric weapons, they are pretty close to a battlefield nuke from what I read. Maybe I’m being paranoid but the Ukraine is getting worse and I’m not liking the direction it is going in.
Attachments
34925E4E-3D9C-4E83-A961-39A17E5252AC.jpeg