Apocalypse Wine from Ribena or Tinned Fruit.

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jennyjj01

Apocalypse Wine from Ribena or Tinned Fruit.

Post by jennyjj01 »

Inspired by another thread, I thought I'd revisit my wine making days from the 70s. Before I had money :)

Wine kits are a big part of my apocalpse food stockpile, but at £35+ for a kit, they are expensive and bulky. So i present you with a couple of super cheap, super simple recipes for post apocalypse wine. Using 'everyday value' tinned fruit, this can cost less than £2.00 per gallon.

Purist winemakers, please forgive me.

I present two recipes. One for Ribena wine and one for Tinned Peaches wine. Actually, so similar that I give it as a generic recipe.

You will need:
5L demijohn OR 5L plastic water bottle. I just buy 5L bottles of water and use the water as an ingredient. Demijohns are expensive.
Airlock (and bung for demijohns) With plastic bottles just fit the airlock in a melted hole.
Sterilising tablets or solution. I use Tesco home brand tablets from the baby care isle. At a pinch use UNSCENTED dilute bleach.
Ample sterile drinking water. Post apocalypse you might boil and filter it, not chlorinate it.
Sterile Wine bottles, or post apocalypse, anything goes :)
Saucepan and heat source.

Nice to have.
Clear plastic syphon tube from home brew shop, amazon or B&Q
Funnel
Stick Blender
Hydrometer from home brew shop or amazon.

Ingredients Ribena wine:
1L Regular Ribena. Not diet stuff
500g White sugar
1 Tea bag (ordinary breakfast tea)
1 Sachet Wine Yeast. Only in the most desperate apocalypse situation would you use bread yeast or beer yeast.
1 tsp citric acid powder ir 1tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp Pectolytic enzyme if you have it. Not essential.
Yeast nutrient if you have it. Not essential.

Variation for the Peach wine
3 x 16 oz tins of sliced peaches in light syrup instead of the ribena.
Skip the tea bag.

Method.
Bring the Ribena (or peaches in syrup) along with the sugar, to the boil and simmer 15 mins. For the Ribena, this drives off the preservatives and for the peaches, it helps them break up.
If using peaches, blitz with a stick blender, or otherwise smash up.
Add at least 1 Litre cold water, to stop damage to your 5L bottle.
Pour into your 5L bottle. For the Ribena variant, make a cup of tea, no milk or sugar, and add that.
Add the citric acid or lemon juice.
Top up to within 2 inches of the top of the bottle.
Sprinkle on the yeast, and fit the airlock.
Set aside in a warm room for one or two weeks. Keep on a deep dish or tray in case it bubbles over.
After 2 weeks, bubbling should stop. if you have a hydrometer, it should measure less that 1.000
Ideally syphon off from the sediment into another 5L bottle and let it settle for another week, to clear.
Syphon into your clean bottles. Let it mature maybe a month, then drink it, while you make another batch.

This generic recipe could use equivalent amounts of other tinned fruits or fruit juices. go for ones with syrup or light syrup and avoid those with artificial sweeteners or e numbers or preservatives. You could use 1kg of dried fruit instead. Though you COULD add more sugar to make a stronger wine, it may not ferment so easily, may not be so tasty and will probably give you a worse headache.

Initial hydrometer readings for me were 1050 for the Ribena wine and 1042 for the Tinned Peaches wine. That will not be overly strong as a wine. MAYBE add up to another 500g of sugar. But really. Stronger may not be better.

If you try this, please report back, even if you didn't enjoy it.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Kiwififer

Re: Apocalypse Wine from Ribena or Tinned Fruit.

Post by Kiwififer »

I have empty demijohn syndrome just now and Vimto diluting juice in the house.

I may give this a go.

However as I have a lot of wine either stored or bottled in the attic, I have to be careful as the wife can get a bit annoyed if I use the kitchen table which she also uses for working from home.

All my wines have been made from fruit, either frozen or picked round the back of where I live. Sugar, yeast, water, fruit. Sounds simple but difficult to get right.

I made pear a while back, it was okay but my mate who’s lived in France was trying to get me to buy a still to make pear brandy….
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Haven’t a clue if this has attached but that’s my cherry and fruit salad wine.

The fruit salad wine is in an Arran whisky bottle. I’ve told the wife I need more empty bottles for my wine so therefore I need more whisky….
Attachments
2A89EB9C-B599-4AF1-A574-CE85EC246B6B.jpeg
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Kiwififer wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:24 pm
The fruit salad wine is in an Arran whisky bottle. I’ve told the wife I need more empty bottles for my wine so therefore I need more whisky….
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Kiwififer wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:28 pm I think I do about 4 lbs of whatever fruit juice to 1.5 - 2 lbs of sugar, a packet of yeast, yeast nutrition, peptic enzymes if it needs it.

I leave mine for the year, half way through I will put a stopper and finishing agent and rack it and if I want to fortify or back sweeten it, I do it around the 10 month stage. I sometimes cheat and back sweeten with cordial.
Bringing the wine discussion to this thread for forum neatness.

I'm no expert, and you are currently a busier wine maker than me, but that sounds a awful lot of fermentable sugar if it's for one gallon. And for it to take a year seems quite extreme. I'd expect primary fermentation to be mostly complete within about a month. Then it would generally be a case of separating from any pulp and residue and racking it for clearing. I'd certainly expect all fermentation through to a dry wine to be complete in 3 months.

Here's a site discussing a typical country wine... start to finish.

https://homebrewanswers.com/making-country-wines/
Kiwififer wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:28 pm However as I have a lot of wine either stored or bottled in the attic, I have to be careful as the wife can get a bit annoyed if I use the kitchen table which she also uses for working from home.

All my wines have been made from fruit, either frozen or picked round the back of where I live. Sugar, yeast, water, fruit. Sounds simple but difficult to get right.

I made pear a while back, it was okay but my mate who’s lived in France was trying to get me to buy a still to make pear brandy….
RED FLAG!!!!
I made the BIG mistake in putting my bottled wine in the attic. Even had a 20 something wine rack put in up there. I had food stockpiles up there too. I eventually put a temperature logger up there and observed the temperature over the year. The variation was HUGE and that is deadly to wine. Some pushed out the corks and lots was ruined. I had some food spoil too. I now make and keep my wine in the attached garage. Even there, the temperature at roof level gets like an oven in summer.

My local home brew shop sells stills.... 'water purifiers' LOL. They also sell whiskey and brandy flavourings.
I accidentally discovered that you can distill wine and beer in a freezer. If you are careful to not use glass bottles and to leave them with air space, then ALMOST freeze, you get the alcohol liquid still pourable and all that remains in the bottle is ice.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

It’s up there as I have nowhere else to put it. I’ve only been doing it for two years now, some successes, others were not.

I enjoy the process and the bubbler is better watching than Eastenders imo.

I should have also said, I’m probably way out in what I said in terms of sugar etc, I was trying to remember what I have done, it’s also 5l in a gallon not 4 but Worzel didn’t have his thinking head on when posting. The guys at my local home brew store keep me right….
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

PreppingPingu wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:31 pm
Kiwififer wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:24 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My mate drinks Woods navy rum, he uses the same excuse except he doesn’t make wine….
korolev

Post by korolev »

I picked up a dozen demijohns last year off facebook for a fiver, plan was to use apples from our trees but we got a codling moth infestation and they all went west.
Might give this one a go
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We don't drink enough wine for it to be worth me making it these days. In my younger days I made both peach wine from value tinned peaches, mead from budget honey and tried to make an apple wine from the produce of the back garden tree. There were some painful lessons learnt which I will share for the benefit or amusement of the better winemakers here.
Peach wine worked really well. I made it happily for several years until I learned that lodgers with an undisclosed alcohol addiction will quietly drink half the contents of the demijohn and top it up with tap water to hide the evidence....
The apple might have been better if it wasn't a cooking apple tree It was unbearably sour. If I tried again I would stick to sweet apples.
Mead: The first batch was lovely but did not last long. The second batch must have had Australian honey in it I should have used it as a cold cure, the eucalyptus flavour was so strong.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Check your local charity shops for Demis and other wine making kit, sometimes its worth asking as they get given the stuff but don't put it out as it just takes up space.

Also local selling sites and community sites are a great resource for both gear and cheap or even free fruit.

I made mead a few years back and it had quite a lot of honey in it (I'm remembering 5lbs to the gallon), that took well over a year to ferment and 6 months more to finish...... Perhaps high sugar mixes take longer ?

I think there might be a spare bottle of Ribena in Stores :D
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar