Power cut last night

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Ara

Re: Power cut last night

Post by Ara »

We also had a power cut the other night at 10.30. I was just getting ready for bed so when the lights went out so took the torch out of my dressing gown pocket to see what was happening. Mr A was outside letting the dog have his final outdoor trip of the day so had a torch in his hand as it is very dark here. I need a torch at night to find my way out of the bedroom on nocturnal visits without walking into something or tripping over the cat so realised at some point it was a longer than usual cut. 7 am next morning, still no power so poured the water out of the kettle into the kelly kettle for hot drinks. So far so good. The problem with a longer outage would be water supply as, although we have a bore hole, it depends on electricity to pump water to the house. Power restored at 8.30. Discovered that a pole for the electricity cables had caught fire (it was in the middle of a forest) so the area's electricity had been cut until all was safe again. Quite pleased we managed but I think more stored potable water would be a good idea even though we have IBCs for the animals. Saves having to purify that for us to drink.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Quick fix a few packs of bottled water from the supermarket of your choice
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:59 pm No problem my favourite recent lantern purchase was this one... By energiser 500lm will take AA or D cells with no adaptor the plastic quality kicks the China stuff to one side it's also got a candle mode where it gives a gentle night light

Screenshot_20220224-215404.png

https://www.diy.com/departments/energiz ... 948_BQ.prd
are these similar to the ones iv seen in b&ms by any chance
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

jansman wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:02 am It had just got dark yesterday ,and Bosh! Everything went black. :( Powercut!

Not to worry,the ever- intrepid Jansman reached just inside the pantry door for an LED work
light to illuminate the problem and sort out more extensive lighting. Well,I have to admit,embarrassingly,that the light failed!,,, :oops: Batteries had gone. No problem ,plenty of other kit,and job done. The power was back on inside 15 minutes anyway.

Hanging in our storage shed was a COB worklight that I picked up from B and M for £8.Ever Ready brand complete with its 4x AA batteries. When I could finally get it out of its packet:lol: I was impressed,to say the least. This thing lit the whole room to a very acceptable level.I am going to get another if they still have them ,or go online.DA402F46-5AD8-435B-B7C7-843414C3D49B.jpeg
picked myself one of these up as well today and stuck it to the front of the fridge freezer in back kitchen,must say im impressed with them good bit of kit
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Rusty74 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:10 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:59 pm No problem my favourite recent lantern purchase was this one... By energiser 500lm will take AA or D cells with no adaptor the plastic quality kicks the China stuff to one side it's also got a candle mode where it gives a gentle night light

I've not seen them in our local but it's a very small store compared to some I try and avoid going i usually come out skint :lol:

Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:44 pm

I've not seen them in our local but it's a very small store compared to some I try and avoid going i usually come out skint :lol:
im exactly the same,just needed to get out the house today so popped to the new bigger one thats opened in the town,only went in to pick up some more hot water bottles,£60 later :roll: :roll: :roll: but in all fairness i had the youngest teenager with me and he collects hot wheels car so i treated him to £20 worth for helping me today
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Rusty74 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:53 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:44 pm

im exactly the same,just needed to get out the house today so popped to the new bigger one thats opened in the town,only went in to pick up some more hot water bottles,£60 later :roll: :roll: :roll: but in all fairness i had the youngest teenager with me and he collects hot wheels car so i treated him to £20 worth for helping me today
Oh don't I've spent the evening remaking and reshaping a hot wheels track all night tonight :lol:

I might have accidentally treated myself to a trustfire mc3 torch I've not had a torch like it :shock: it's like a pocket sized sun but it's tiny I've had a few trustfire torches over the years even a big 5 led trustfire tr1200 I got via China about 8 years ago which I thought was bright ...it eclipses that and it's the size of a chunky marker pen .. how technology moves on
IMG_20220225_211647_499.jpg

It dazzles you even with your eyes shut