Rodenticide

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Trappa

Rodenticide

Post by Trappa »

Thoughts on a supply of rodenticide to be in your arsenal post war ?
I personally imagine rats will be the biggest competitor for our food sources in an Armageddon type scenario. Unless of course it’s that bad they become the food source. Just thinking from a different perspective.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Rodenticide

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Up until about 3 years ago you could wander into any farm shop and buy a bucket of what ever takes your fancy.. the rules changed you now have to have a license to buy all but the hideously overpriced small park size low strength stuff...

https://bpca.org.uk/news/anticoagulant- ... 018/194871

Traps and peanut butter / cheap chocolate spread are often a better option or a terrier :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Keeping fowls,rabbits and birds,as I do,rats and mice are a constant issue. As Yorkshire Andy says,you can’t just go to the local farm supplies and buy poison anymore. Thankfully,our pest controller at work is as bent as a nine bob note :lol: and for a score I get a bucket of whatever is flavour of the month in pest- world. She services a recycling centre,and tells me they can easily get through 50kg of bait per week there! Rats are an issue.

Like Yorkshire Andy,I like traps too - peanut butter as well- and keep a trap line around the edges of our yard and garden. ( under cover of course).We have a storage outbuilding where the freezers are,along with ‘overflow’ from the pantry,and I keep a couple of bait points in there too. Thankfully,we have never even had signs of infestation in there,but we do get mice in the house…because the bl**dy cats bring them in live!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

If you do use rodenticide a lot (or anticipate doing so) a professional course and qualification can be done online and is very helpful in using the right rodenticides in the right places and concentrations to be effective. This gives access to concentrations and formulations not available to the public. The course costs less than a single call out for a professional pest controller :shock:

It's worth noting that some of the most modern and effective rodenticides ( e.g. cholecalciferol) need their own qualifications, but these are often free through the manufacturer and well worth doing. I particularly like cholecalciferol as it's not bioaccumulative so much safer around pets etc.

https://www.progreen.co.uk/training/e-l ... UUQAvD_BwE
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Traps & peanut butter inside a box (to protect the cats) for outbuildings here too. Bait stations for inside the house (allegedly the traps wake my wife when they go off). We're in a 200 year old house in a rural location so the mice try to come indoors when its cold.
Trappa

Post by Trappa »

British Red wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:00 pm

It's worth noting that some of the most modern and effective rodenticides ( e.g. cholecalciferol) need their own qualifications, but these are often free through the manufacturer and well worth doing. I particularly like cholecalciferol as it's not bioaccumulative so much safer around pets etc.

https://www.progreen.co.uk/training/e-l ... UUQAvD_BwE
Mate just be careful, cholecalciferol isn’t safe for dogs, or even close 👍
British Red

Post by British Red »

Not safe to ingest you are absolutely right (hence the course) but, given the way it works, rodent bodies cause much less secondary poisoning. So long as it's administered through secure bait stations (and the regs on those have just been updated) and in correct dosage, it's in many ways safer for both pets and wildlife due to its rapid action and significant reduction of adverse effects non target ingestion though secondary poisoning. You are right to consider the risks, all rodenticides work differently and using the right formulations and other approaches to harbourage etc. is so important

This paper might interest you :)

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... calciferol
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I can't use poisons, we have too many cats, dogs, chickens, ducks, pigs and visiting raptors. So, I shoot the rats at every opportunity, gas them with the exhaust from my little tractor, and recently have been dropping bangers from crow scarer ropes down their holes. I don't think the bangers are effective, but it makes me feel better.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Rats are attracted to warm shelter and food. Keep your camp/home clean and secure from rat entry and the rats often move on. An air weapon is practical.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

rik_uk3 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:13 pm Rats are attracted to warm shelter and food. Keep your camp/home clean and secure from rat entry and the rats often move on. An air weapon is practical.
An air rifle is, a UK legal air pistol is too gutless to guarantee a clean kill
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar