Bug out locations

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Parko11

Bug out locations

Post by Parko11 »

after looking at the area i live in i don't think bugging in would be a option due to living in a medium sized town and not far from a large town plus having a large industrial works near by, so with me being new to prepping and recently making a bug out bag i am struggling to find a bug out location in the northeast uk any ideas guys ?
Arzosah

Re: Bug out locations

Post by Arzosah »

My answer is a series of questions, all based around the single question, why would you bug out?
Parko11 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:01 pm after looking at the area i live in i don't think bugging in would be a option due to living in a medium sized town and not far from a large town plus having a large industrial works near by
So your first emergency might be an incident at the industrial works. What chemicals are used/produced there? Any of them flammable or toxic? Eye protection, masks, gloves all spring to mind.
so with me being new to prepping and recently making a bug out bag
Er, if you've made a bug out bag before you know *why* you're bugging out, it probably doesn't have in it what you need , sorry (see above re. toxicity). I'm not going to make assumptions about your thinking, but for a start, how heavy is it? If you had to walk, how far could you walk safely?
i am struggling to find a bug out location in the northeast uk any ideas guys ?
It depends on why you're getting out. If its a problem at the industrial works, staying with a friend on the opposite side of town might be fine. Do you have friends/relations you can stay with? If not, B&Bs, even youth hostels, might be a viable alternative. If there's flooding, not only the location you're bugging to but also your route to get there, are going to be issues, at the very least you need to check a topographical map of your area online.

How would you be travelling? On foot, on a pushbike (and how fit are you, if you plan to do that)? Motorbike? Car or van? Method of transport makes a big difference.

Would you be completely alone? Or just alone while heading towards a meetup with family/ friends?

The UK is a small, densely populated island, compared to the USA, which is the origin of modern prepping ideas. Bugging out as bloggers and novels describe it over there - I don't think it can work over here. Maybe in the far north of Scotland, which might be equivalent to conditions in the northern states like Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota etc, but that's about it. It's why the focus is on bugging in over here, unless it's impossible. In any case, layers of plans are probably the answer, if you're looking at bugging out.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

I guess a lot depends on what you're planning for, Arzosah is pretty spot on.

Assess local threats and priorities first, it'll put you in a better position than going straight to teotwawki fantasy and save you money at the same time.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Have a think about how likely it is that you will need to bug out, as opposed to staying put (your home is easier to "fortify" and far more comfortable than any cave/tent/bunker) and put that much effort into prepping for it.
What I mean by that is, I consider there's about a 1% chance that, in an emergency, I'd need to leave home for a significant time so I put 1% of my preps into that; more likely, say 20% , that I'd have to go somewhere for a few nights so I have a hotel bag and enough cash to pay for a week stay somewhere.
You also need to consider that if you know of a good bug-out location, so do others and one of them might have a bigger stick than you.
Parko11

Post by Parko11 »

thanks for the info some great points taken on board will do more research on the area thank you :D :D :D
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

As already said. it is a question of WHY you are bugging out and a multi layered approach might be needed.

Layer 1) Emergency evacuation of your home due to fire, flood, local incident. Risk - high. We all have had to do this or know someone who has done so Bug out requirements: Hotel or spare room with friend or family local enough to be able to check on your property while you find out if/when you will be able to go back or will need to rent/buy a new home. Bug out bag will have no need to tents and firestarting but may want copies of your insurance and other documents.

Layer 2) Widespread incident affecting a large number of people. There may not be any hotels to be had and your friend may also be in the same boat. Travel may be difficult. I would only bug out if you have enough advanced notice to be ahead of the crowds or are able to travel safely to a pre agreed safe stop.

Layer 3) TEOTWAKI If you expect to survice the return tothe Dark Ages by moving somewhere rural and going self sufficient, you will have similar problems to in Layer 2 unless you already live rurally or have very strong contacts in a suitable community. At the beginning of the pandemic the rural communities were less than impressed by the city bods trying to come and stay with them and it will be 100 times worse if TEOTWAKI. You will be met by shotguns. Living completely in the woods in the UK is simply impossible ubless the UK population drops to near zero. The resources are not there , even for skillled bushcrafters.

Re your concerns about civil unrest. We were close to the London riots but not directly impacted. If they had become very much worse, we intended to assist our neighbours in setting up road blocks to keep our road secure. I suspect this sort of thing is the mroe likely response for many including the villages and is how things play out in war zones.
Have a look at the real life bug out story of this chap during Katrina. It may be useful
thttps://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have just got back from a five hour fishing session.Plenty of hot drinks and food,and top of the range clothing ,but it was still damned cold! I had a warm car to climb into,and a warm house and a stew going in the slow cooker. Feet now up the chimney and a roaring fire. :lol: I am sure you can see where I am going with this.

Apart from an evacuation; gas leak ,flood etc. there is no way we are running to destination unknown. In fact,we have a list of dog friendly hotels in our Hotel Bag ( not a bug out bag) just in case of such an emergency.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Top two bug out items are credit card and cash, anything else may be a bonus.

In reality the reason for suddenly needing to get out of Dodge is something like fire/flood may toxic spill/emission so a small pack with clean clothes and waterproof jacket and trousers, torch with spare batteries, couple of bottles of water and a handful of choc bars. On your way out add the power bank you keep fully charged at all times plus phone charger and lead and off you go with cash and card in pocket to friends/b&B/hotel et al.

Real bugging out to a new location is a whole new ball game and a major operation in fact.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Parko11 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:01 pm after looking at the area i live in i don't think bugging in would be a option due to living in a medium sized town and not far from a large town plus having a large industrial works near by, so with me being new to prepping and recently making a bug out bag i am struggling to find a bug out location in the northeast uk any ideas guys ?
By all means, have a plan for when your home is not viable, but have that embrace hotels, and bugging in elsewhere.. Running for the hills is not a popular option here.
Consider...
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17555

Don't aspire to be a refugee.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Do you have a car if you do you could get by living in that for a wile cold if it's winter but that's what sleeping bags are for .
Buy a van and insulate it or a people carrier and take out the back seats it can be done cheap with a driveable bug out home you can park sleep in it still go to work and lock it.
Fill er up jacko...