Knives - in trouble with the police!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: Knives - in trouble with the police!

Post by jansman »

korolev wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:13 pm In a situation like this I always advise people to take legal advice from a solicitor; many of us on here will have very good intentions and varying levels of experience (I was a magistrate for 9 years) but we are not legally qualified.
Sound advice indeed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:43 pm
korolev wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:13 pm In a situation like this I always advise people to take legal advice from a solicitor; many of us on here will have very good intentions and varying levels of experience (I was a magistrate for 9 years) but we are not legally qualified.
Sound advice indeed.

If you have decent home insurance you'll often find they have a legal expenses cover many offer free no no obligation advice for the cost of a phone call
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

This should give a snapshot of the knife i ordered. Can't use my scanner at the moment due to more PC problems :(

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.h ... 3018072566

Which unless i'm missing something is completely UK legal to possess and indeed carry in a public place with a valid reason which "its a work tool" (i'm a carpenter they get abused daily!) certainly is. Can't see how border control deem it a flick knife.

We never got to see anything till the interview - I assumed that something completely different to what had been ordered had been posted, even then it was just a photo like the one above, no detail of how they were classing it as a flick knife.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

preparedsurrey wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:26 pm This should give a snapshot of the knife i ordered. Can't use my scanner at the moment due to more PC problems :(

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.h ... 3018072566

Which unless i'm missing something is completely UK legal to possess and indeed carry in a public place with a valid reason which "its a work tool" (i'm a carpenter they get abused daily!) certainly is. Can't see how border control deem it a flick knife.

We never got to see anything till the interview - I assumed that something completely different to what had been ordered had been posted, even then it was just a photo like the one above, no detail of how they were classing it as a flick knife.
Hi, that page requires a log in.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
shocker

Post by shocker »

I had same problem. Even though I have an account with that site, the OPs details were wanted. ...I think.

So, rather than post your log in or the like (as if!), how about a screenshot or Google images? Most of those designs are knock offs of name brands, or close enough to get the point across.

This all has got me worried. I am waiting on a lockblade from the far East. Not a flick, switch, auto or anything like. But still...

I have hand dexterity problems and small folders are tricky for me to open, plus the blades can close on my fingers if not locked. Cos I is clumsy, innit :( :oops:

I don't know if my reason for having would wash nowadays as I am semi retired due to disabilities I still do bits around the farm, laying hedges and fruit tree grafting for example, where a sturdy sharp knife of a decent size is truly necessary.

But having dealt with HMRC (and more recently BF) quite a few times over the years, logic and even facts carry little weight.

Sadly, legal advice sounds like the way. I'm not looking forward to it.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
shocker

Post by shocker »

preparedsurrey wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:26 pm no detail of how they were classing it as a flick knife.
Would this happen to be a spyderco type with a thumbhole or with another type of one hand opening helper on the blade?
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

shocker wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:13 am
preparedsurrey wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:26 pm no detail of how they were classing it as a flick knife.
Would this happen to be a spyderco type with a thumbhole or with another type of one hand opening helper on the blade?
Thumb stud on the blade
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
korolev

Post by korolev »

shocker wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:05 am I have hand dexterity problems and small folders are tricky for me to open, plus the blades can close on my fingers if not locked. Cos I is clumsy, innit :( :oops:

I don't know if my reason for having would wash nowadays as I am semi retired due to disabilities I still do bits around the farm, laying hedges and fruit tree grafting for example, where a sturdy sharp knife of a decent size is truly necessary.
If you are stopped in the street going to/from work and have the knife, then I would say you have a good reason to have it. If it's found on you when you are five pints to the better in a queue for a nightclub or football ground you'd have a much harder time ("I forgot it was in my pocket" doesn't carry a lot of weight).
If it's in a bag with other tools that would add to your case.
You also need to consider whether you're likely to get stopped by OB; if you're a black teenager in inner London then you're much more likely than a middle aged white feller in a provincial town. In rural areas it's almost unheard of for people to be stopped and searched.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

There have been recent changes to the knife laws in Britain which have recently come into force any of them relate to the importation of said knife and also home ownership some knives which were ok to have at home are now banned
I'm not a tekke so have no idea how to add a link but all the changes are on the you gov site and were put on the law books in july2021
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

A good few yr back now we were at Leeds Bradford Airport
Hubby when well worked full time builder and plasterer
You know those little cards like a credit card they have a rough edge a smooth one and bits cut out to open bottles
Fit in wallet
Went through the security next thing I knew hes being hauled off by two very big policemen
I'm following dragging bags etc 🤣
They put us in a corner while the rest of our flight and everyone else is watching
More police come ...Big conflab going on ..
Surrender weapon for assisting police in their training ... sign this form both of you
What weapon im yelling thinking what the hell has he got here in his wallet ?????
Yep it was the credit card sized thingy whatever he used for doing the edges round light switches
After I decided to throw myself on the ground scream cry and say we neeed this holiday soooo much they handed us paper work and allowed us to continue providing we surrendered his .. knife.. yep knife they classed it as
Was interesting on the flight.. we had loads of leg room people let us in the loo first 😂 the looks on their faces was priceless
But seriously I didnt know weather to throttle him or not and I certainly didn't think that it would be classed as a weapon
I was texting friends waiting for us in the sun telling them we were being carted off by the airport police and may never see them again ...
We did land ok ...and straight to the bar for a big big drink !