What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
British Red

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by British Red »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:21 pm
British Red wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:00 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:38 pm Can't take the credit for this one Mrs A secured a second hand gas BBQ with full calor patio gas bottle for £40.. BBQ is like new and bottle is full £40 initial deposit on the bottle alone ... Plus a fill @£30! A fill :shock: when you think a standard 6kg propane is £25 ISH

Screenshot_20220617-212833.png
That's a total bargain - as you say patio gas is a complete ripoff - like the small campingaz cylinders. Easy enough to simply change the regulator for a sensibly priced cylinder. Always worth having a handful of different regulators when cylinders are scarce though
When it's empty I'll slap it on Facebook for £20 :lol: funny you can't get tye smaller 3.8 propane or 4.2kg butane for love nor money yet the gas cage at b&q is full of patio gas :lol: can't think why ££££
19Kg are still around here - and cost per Kg is much better than the smaller cylinders
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Plenty of 18Kg propane bottles around here at the moment.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Problem is my caravan locker will only take the 4 kg bottles you can't even get a 7 kg in unless you lay it down in transit then use a longer pigtail and sit it against the a frame
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Going to pick up another block of rabbit breeding cages later. Got them for nothing from an old boy in the next village who is packing up with his. I don’t need them,but I won’t turn them down,as I can probably flog’em!

Starting to process stuff from the garden now. Plenty of salads,new spuds and lots of broad beans. Won’t be long before the tomatoes are ready. My gherkin plants are bountiful,so I am pickling them steadily. The fruit trees MUST be pruned this week. The apples,plums and pears are going to be excellent this year. Lots of kale ,spinach and bunch onions. The fowls are laying 100% so I am pickling plenty of eggs too.

I have found a couple of online home brew shops for yeast/ chemicals. I have always bought from Wilko,but increasingly I am finding them unavailable. Also keep stocking alkaline batteries and rechargeable too. I’ll make sure I get some more paraffin too ,mainly for anti- frost heating in the outside loo.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:13 am
I have found a couple of online home brew shops for yeast/ chemicals. I have always bought from Wilko,but increasingly I am finding them unavailable.

Guessing you will have a boyes somewhere close by they also stock a fair amount of homebrew kit

https://www.boyes.co.uk/storelocator/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:41 am
I have found a couple of online home brew shops for yeast/ chemicals. I have always bought from Wilko,but increasingly I am finding them unavailable.

Guessing you will have a boyes somewhere close by they also stock a fair amount of homebrew kit

Unfortunately about 12 miles away.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:25 pm Problem is my caravan locker will only take the 4 kg bottles you can't even get a 7 kg in unless you lay it down in transit then use a longer pigtail and sit it against the a frame
Makes sense to keep things compatible.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:41 am

Never thought of going to them for homebrew - but there's one in a local town that I often visit so I'll take a look.

Thanks 👍
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Just did a small rearranging in my larder and spotted tins and jars that are either a bit beyond BBE date or getting towards it. I will try and make dinners with those items over the next few weeks. The next few months are going to be a bit squeaky-bum-time finances wide with water bill (I pay half-yearly), energy bill (quarterly), and the car service all due over the next two months. Bad timing!
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

It's a beautiful day here in the North. After gale force winds and 10 degrees yesterday. I'm sorting dog beds and blankets

I've just finished washing a pile of dog fleece blankets by hand. I fill a big plastic wheelbarrow with water, scrub the blankets, wring them out then dry them on a line. I'm in the middle of renovations so no washing machine in the house.