What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Mad Scientist

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Mad Scientist »

Next door’s damsons are nearly ready. One of their trees hangs into our garden and they always let us pick plenty. Jam and crumble hear I come! I’ll give them a plate of my lavender biscuits in return. Happy days. Blackberries and Hawthorns are ripe so off picking soon.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Le Mouse wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:57 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:21 am Going by my last pair of genuine ones yours will probably last longer . They are not what they were 20 years ago....

I used to sell them the quality has gone down the pan
Exactly. I'll be less upset about a £25 pair of shoes disintegrating than a pair of £100+. And they do actually look more sturdy. Wider in the toes too which is important for me as I have developed flat feet in recent years and can no longer wear anything with even a remotely narrow toe without pain. My last pair of genuine docs lasted about a year which is rubbish. I hope I get more wear out of these.
Frnc wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:04 am
Polarized lenses minimize glare in bright, sunny, outdoor settings
Anti-reflective lenses minimize glare in dim lighting indoors and at night
Regarding glare, just be aware that if they are polarising, they do a great job of reducing glare, but that means you can't see water or ice as easily, as you see that best when sunlight is reflecting off it. So they are not recommended for cyclists or motorcyclists.
That's quite interesting about the water thing. Good to know! Thank you :)
I use polarised glasses for fishing. Basically you can see the fish under water.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:40 am
Le Mouse wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:57 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:21 am Going by my last pair of genuine ones yours will probably last longer . They are not what they were 20 years ago....

I used to sell them the quality has gone down the pan
Exactly. I'll be less upset about a £25 pair of shoes disintegrating than a pair of £100+. And they do actually look more sturdy. Wider in the toes too which is important for me as I have developed flat feet in recent years and can no longer wear anything with even a remotely narrow toe without pain. My last pair of genuine docs lasted about a year which is rubbish. I hope I get more wear out of these.
Frnc wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:04 am

Regarding glare, just be aware that if they are polarising, they do a great job of reducing glare, but that means you can't see water or ice as easily, as you see that best when sunlight is reflecting off it. So they are not recommended for cyclists or motorcyclists.
That's quite interesting about the water thing. Good to know! Thank you :)
I use polarised glasses for fishing. Basically you can see the fish under water.
This is why the ones in my bugout bag are polarising.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Added another 12 d cell batteries to the stock pile ....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Just my luck, found this pink salt in the back of the cupboard and its out of date :(
pink salt.jpeg
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jansman

Post by jansman »

rik_uk3 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:59 pm Just my luck, found this pink salt in the back of the cupboard and its out of date :(

pink salt.jpeg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

rik_uk3 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:59 pm Just my luck, found this pink salt in the back of the cupboard and its out of date :(

pink salt.jpeg
Formed 250 million years ago, but now three years out of date. Sod's law it was in date for 250 million years and just ran out!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well thank heavens it’s raining! I’ve just been to make a brew ,and the thermometer in the yard tell me it’s 17 degrees. I can breathe!

I’ve not done a lot this week,as I haven’t been particularly well.However, a bit later on I am going to tidy and restock the pantry ,as I can’t sit on my a*** any longer! I shall also check our battery storage and power packs too. By the time that’s done ,I’ll be ready for another sit- down! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Decidedly chilly. You take it nice and slow JM. The pantry will still be there tomorrow, make sure you are.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:07 am Decidedly chilly. You take it nice and slow JM. The pantry will still be there tomorrow, make sure you are.
Done it! And I feel great ,if I am honest. :D I’ve had a good clear out,stock check and we are ready for Winter. I have checked food,water,batteries,cooking fuel,paraffin, emergency lighting,first aid kit and medicine.All good. There are a few food items I want to add to the shelves,but nothing major.

Us Preppers stock up for SHTF ( insert your catastrophe here) but do you know what? Illness is a bad situation that can happen to anyone at anytime. This time last week ,I never considered that I was going to have a heart attack ! :(

Robert Frost.

Me.