What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Frnc »

I think 10l are a good size water container. Not hard for most people to manage. 20 is getting heavy. 10 will fit on the bottom shelf of many shelving units if they are strong enough (end of a shelf is stronger). They will fit at the end of a bed, but not under it. 5l should go under a bed. Of course with 5s you have twice as many to clean and fill.
Wash with a bit of soap and rinse. Steralise with Milton. Fill and keep dark. Swap water every 6 months. Personally I steralise every time I refill.
You can get 4 x 10l BPA food safe on ebay for around £20.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Been doing a post xmas/end of year financial audit. Things not as bad as I thought they'd be, I do live a very frugal life personally but can be over generous when it comes to my grandchildren. However an audit of my supplies was not so good as of late I've been using more than I was replacing, so a trip to shops to replenish food and cleaning supplies on the cards for today. That will hurt as I look at the prices and compare what I paid for the one I've just used :o Still, at least I'm luckier than many in that I can find the money to replace them.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

a-b: Loads more Water threads Here if you need any more....... Whats your locale like (Town, country or MON)?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Fitted the new curtains in the Prep Room aka the newly liberated spare room. £25 incl deliverey. I probably should have ironed them. Anyway, they should keep the heat in a bit. Plus, people outside with binoculars and drones can't see me stashing my preps, or on my exercise bike.
Did some pullups for the first time in a while. I say did, attempted is more accurate.
Looked at the dates for AAA batteries on my battery spreadsheets. Gonna get 3 of those night lights at the start of Jan, so will use up some batteries from my bugout bags and replace them with newer ones.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Emptied out what I'm calling my pantry - a cupboard by the back door, with the door taken off. I'd stashed it too full - black mould growing on the external wall. And then, on my hands and knees spraying and scrubbing, I saw the underside of the shelves, covered in a different type of mould :( :( :( really, really disgusting, I had to use a hammer to "unlock" one of the shelves. And I didn't wear a mask, I'm a bit concerned about having breathed it in - doing some research on that. I'll do the rest of the work on it today, declutter what's there, and coat where it was with a bleach solution.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:12 am Emptied out what I'm calling my pantry - a cupboard by the back door, with the door taken off. I'd stashed it too full - black mould growing on the external wall. And then, on my hands and knees spraying and scrubbing, I saw the underside of the shelves, covered in a different type of mould :( :( :( really, really disgusting, I had to use a hammer to "unlock" one of the shelves. And I didn't wear a mask, I'm a bit concerned about having breathed it in - doing some research on that. I'll do the rest of the work on it today, declutter what's there, and coat where it was with a bleach solution.
That’s a prep Arzosah! Be careful. :? ;) :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:12 am Emptied out what I'm calling my pantry - a cupboard by the back door, with the door taken off. I'd stashed it too full - black mould growing on the external wall. And then, on my hands and knees spraying and scrubbing, I saw the underside of the shelves, covered in a different type of mould :( :( :( really, really disgusting, I had to use a hammer to "unlock" one of the shelves. And I didn't wear a mask, I'm a bit concerned about having breathed it in - doing some research on that. I'll do the rest of the work on it today, declutter what's there, and coat where it was with a bleach solution.
Best not get too paranoid about mould, but obviously try to avoid getting it in future. I can't stop it growing on my bathroom walls. We leave the extractor fan on for ages. Also some of the windows get a bit in nooks and crannies so it's hard to get it all off.
I have heard it's best to just wipe it off rather than try to kill it. The trick is to avoid dispersing spores into the air.
I'm going to steralise my bathroom walls in the spring though, and paint with eggshell. Then I should be able to just wipe off any new mould with a wet cloth and rinse it down the sink.

Some people say don't use bleach as it contans water, which mould thrives on. There are various mould cleaners, or you can try white vinegar.

Mycologist says don't use bleach https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... leach.html
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:12 am
Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:12 am ...black mould growing on the external wall. And then, on my hands and knees spraying and scrubbing, I saw the underside of the shelves, covered in a different type of mould :( :( :(
Best not get too paranoid about mould, but obviously try to avoid getting it in future. I can't stop it growing on my bathroom walls.
Risky to breath in mould dust, and smack your hand for not wearing an FFP mask. But what's done is done.
I swear by Astonish Mould & Mildew Blaster, usually from Home Bargain. It not only kills and removes the pink and black mould around bathroom grout, it also bleaches it to white/invisible and slows its return.
Bleach is total rubbish by comparison.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I like to finish mould clean up with a layer of bicarbonate of soda solution applied and not wiped off since this does not break down as bleach does so continues to disuourage mould growth unless excess damp dilutes it too far.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:46 pm
Frnc wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:12 am
Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:12 am ...black mould growing on the external wall. And then, on my hands and knees spraying and scrubbing, I saw the underside of the shelves, covered in a different type of mould :( :( :(
Best not get too paranoid about mould, but obviously try to avoid getting it in future. I can't stop it growing on my bathroom walls.
Risky to breath in mould dust, and smack your hand for not wearing an FFP mask. But what's done is done.
I swear by Astonish Mould & Mildew Blaster, usually from Home Bargain. It not only kills and removes the pink and black mould around bathroom grout, it also bleaches it to white/invisible and slows its return.
Bleach is total rubbish by comparison.
Your very right jen , you should never work on black mould without a mask it is as bad as working with asbestos .
As to the black mould issues in places with poor ventilation mould is always going to happen but you can use many things on it , the best is to clean it down fully and i mean every little corner and then paint it out with an anti-mould paint you get these mainly for use in cellars and below ground places , a lot of the london basement place get painted out with it , we use to use one in the 90's i can not remember it's name but if you put in anti-mould paint on any building search pagei am sure the info on the new types are out there ,but the other thing to do as well is in closed in spaces fit a 6inch small fan low down but so that it causes a swirl of air to whizz round in the cupboard or space that way you can put it on now and then to move the air , also the worse place for it is behind kitchen base units , a good idea there is to drill 2 inch holes in the plinth and pop little plastic air vents on that way air can blow in behind and help slow the mould , if you look in the back of base units you can see above the hardboard back in some and that is why i say with the air vents it moves the air but you must put 1 at either end or even a coupel along the front again it lets air in to keep it dry .
They are now finding newer homes suffer with black mould because they are so sealed up like a airless box.

Ps woodstores without air flow are terrbile for mould as well do not stack wood against the side of external walls it will encourage mould , my neighbour just found that out big time