What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

British Red wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:12 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:41 am
jansman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:13 am
I have found a couple of online home brew shops for yeast/ chemicals. I have always bought from Wilko,but increasingly I am finding them unavailable.

Guessing you will have a boyes somewhere close by they also stock a fair amount of homebrew kit

https://www.boyes.co.uk/storelocator/
Never thought of going to them for homebrew - but there's one in a local town that I often visit so I'll take a look.

Thanks 👍
Was funny when bojo shut the pubs during the start of lockdown there must have been 10-15 blokes all scratching their heads reading various kits /cans labels.. me being me excuse me grab kit I like a bag of spray malt and out I went got some funny looks :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Just bought some dehydrator sheets so that I can dehydrate my herbs without it all dropping through the shelves. I planted new herbs this year and they have really taken off (taken over). My Comfrey, Echinacea and Chamomile are all doing well too so will also dehydrate some of those. I've also just harvested my garlic and they have also done well. I did like the idea of making flavoured oil and then read about the risk of Botulism so will probably put them in vinegar. bought my husband a smoker for Father's Day so looking forward to having a dabble with that, possibly smoke some meat and then pop it in the hydrater to make some jerky.
Growing old disgracefully!
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

Medusa wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:56 pm Just bought some dehydrator sheets so that I can dehydrate my herbs without it all dropping through the shelves. I planted new herbs this year and they have really taken off (taken over). My Comfrey, Echinacea and Chamomile are all doing well too so will also dehydrate some of those. I've also just harvested my garlic and they have also done well. I did like the idea of making flavoured oil and then read about the risk of Botulism so will probably put them in vinegar. bought my husband a smoker for Father's Day so looking forward to having a dabble with that, possibly smoke some meat and then pop it in the hydrater to make some jerky.
I preserve herbs by freezing. Choosing either butter, water or olive oil, I chop and freeze in ice cube trays. Chamomile or any herb you'd like for teas can be frozen with water too.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

wombled two clear perspex sheets out of a skip today 6ftx3ft,so plan on building a cold frame this week with the eldest lad,once iv found some timber for the frame work,cause i sure anit buying it lol
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Onwards and upwards with the solar project.
Today saw the installing of a 100W panel on the garage roof. A sturdy shelf adopted for battery and inverter. Solar charger screwed to the wall.

Even with my rubbish battery, it seems I can run ONE fridge freezer for a a few hours during darkness and even more during daylight. Currently doing some power usage measuring and estimating.

Have ordered some more gadgets ( Thanks a bunch Yorkshire Andy): A Bluetooth battery monitor £20 and a mains fail siren on a slow boat from China

As today's experiment, I've got one fridge freezer being powered from the inverter, via my mains Monitor.
Fridge is labelled as needing an average of 35W, peaking at about 150W, so I'm seeing how many hours before the inverter cuts out.
THEORETICALLY, the solar panel should be meeting the freezer's running needs while the sun is shining brightly, so my rubbish battery is just there to help when the freezer starts up.

Other preps today: Inventory stock take of the four freezers. Sadly chucked out some 15 month old meat that had gone grey.
12 month old samosas, kebabs and curry for lunch. Note to self. "Eat what you cooked, before cooking more."
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Bought my first Covid tests. £9.40 for 5 plus postage. Tested positive. I did wear a mask on the train, but not at the gig last Friday. Symptoms started Sat am so not sure where I caught it. Took a couple of days to sink in that I might have Covid. Only initial symptom was my voice was deeper, but I thought it might be due to shouting/singing at the gig, and the heat. Also it was windy, blowing dust about. Worst I felt was Tues so ordered the test and paid £4 extra for next day delivery. You can buy one, but I thought it would be a good idea to have a few spares. Symptoms this time are different. Taste and smell seem unaffected, or not noticeably. Last time, coffee tasted horrible. Only have an occasional mild cough, touch wood. Got a runny nose and occasional sneezing.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:00 am Bought my first Covid tests. £9.40 for 5 plus postage. Tested positive. I did wear a mask on the train, but not at the gig last Friday. Symptoms started Sat am so not sure where I caught it. Took a couple of days to sink in that I might have Covid. Only initial symptom was my voice was deeper, but I thought it might be due to shouting/singing at the gig, and the heat. Also it was windy, blowing dust about. Worst I felt was Tues so ordered the test and paid £4 extra for next day delivery. You can buy one, but I thought it would be a good idea to have a few spares. Symptoms this time are different. Taste and smell seem unaffected, or not noticeably. Last time, coffee tasted horrible. Only have an occasional mild cough, touch wood. Got a runny nose and occasional sneezing.
Sorry to hear you have covid again. That nasty pandemic really hasn't gone away! It just became stale news. Even at the doctors yesterday, There was hardly anyone wearing a mask, not even the nurses or receptionists. We are so screwed if the next variant is more aggressive.
Actually.... No..... We ARE so screwed WHEN the aggressive variant comes along. Winter, huddling back indoors?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:43 am Sorry to hear you have covid again. That nasty pandemic really hasn't gone away! It just became stale news. Even at the doctors yesterday, There was hardly anyone wearing a mask, not even the nurses or receptionists. We are so screwed if the next variant is more aggressive.
Actually.... No..... We ARE so screwed WHEN the aggressive variant comes along. Winter, huddling back indoors?
First time I hadn't even left the house. This time I had, but I may have caught it at the supermarket a few days earlier, as symptoms normally take a few days to appear. I did wear a mask, but they don't really stop you catching it. Deaths are back on the rise, so be careful everybody. I'd only started going to the shops about a week or two before last weekend. And that was my first night out.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:31 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:43 am Sorry to hear you have covid again. That nasty pandemic really hasn't gone away! It just became stale news. Even at the doctors yesterday, There was hardly anyone wearing a mask, not even the nurses or receptionists. We are so screwed if the next variant is more aggressive.
First time I hadn't even left the house. This time I had, but I may have caught it at the supermarket a few days earlier, as symptoms normally take a few days to appear. I did wear a mask, but they don't really stop you catching it. Deaths are back on the rise, so be careful everybody. I'd only started going to the shops about a week or two before last weekend. And that was my first night out.
Speaking of buying covid tests. A Heads up in the News today. Scam messages telling you you've had a covid contact and need to buy a kit .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61882239

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:58 am
Frnc wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:31 am
Speaking of buying covid tests. A Heads up in the News today. Scam messages telling you you've had a covid contact and need to buy a kit .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61882239

I had a scam text a few days ago. Had one a while back too.
Got windows open, trying to not give lodgers Covid. Wearing a mask when I leave my room. Open back door if I go in kitchen. Trying to only spend a couple of minutes in there. So looks like my cauliflower is gonna get ditched.