What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Medusa

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Medusa »

Having a bit of a splurge on non-exciting but essential house stuff. Ordered a new oil tank as the current one is 20 years old and I do not want to cause an environmental issue if it springs a leak (or loose very expensive heating oil!!) Booked the chimney sweep in, ordered some new windows for the other half of the house which we did not do last time to replace old aluminium and wooden frames and having the house re-pointed as it is 1930's and still the original pointing which is dropping out now. What I really wanted was a new kitchen but the actual bricks and mortar are much more important.
Growing old disgracefully!
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I was going to post a ‘good news’ bit of prepping but I can’t seem to load up the picture.

Anyhow, I work in social care with a gentleman who has Spina Bifida and he’s in a wheelchair. Anyhow, in an effort to get him to take an interest in healthy foods, we have started growing tomatoes in his kitchen. Nothing too elaborate and I’ve planted a couple of peas alongside them, but the tomatoes have taken off like a rocket. Okay it’s not end of the world stuff, but it’s a way to connect someone to growing his own food.

Just something different….
Attachments
8DE3A1A4-B519-4AE8-9639-612C71236E69.jpeg
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Bloody technology 🤬 🤣
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Kiwififer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 pm Bloody technology 🤬 🤣
¡ǝɯ oʇ ǝuıɟ sʞool
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Tonight I've tidied my shed only took me 3 hours and there's the bench to finish tomorrow :oops:

But I now have a floor and can now get the push bike out again and put the be generator to the back till winter rolls round again I stripped the carb and gave it a bit of a clean. On rebuilding it stated second pull it's NEVER started so easy :|

Also checked and restocked the cars med kit needed the boo boo bits topping up after a friend's wedding the other week little man skinned his knees / palms and nose plus the other kid he collided with needed some patching up (friends son) it's amazing the effect of magic cream (germoline)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:51 pm
Kiwififer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 pm Bloody technology 🤬 🤣
¡ǝɯ oʇ ǝuıɟ sʞool
Y/Andy! You star!

Also Kiwififer! Little steps to prepping, it's so true.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Arzosah wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:57 pm Purchases/ deliveries today:
- white velcro to use on an insect screen so I can have the window open overnight (its like Piccadilly Central for bugs).
Great idea! Whenever I open a window, a wasp or other insect flies in!
hobo

Post by hobo »

Le Mouse wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:17 pm ….planning a run round Aldi / Wilko / Savers etc, for cleaning and household stuff while the prices are still just about manageable.
Wilko is my go-to place for household stuff. Their wipes are cheap, plastic free (except for packaging!) and vegan 😀
hobo

Post by hobo »

Sunny up here, so finally playing with my Big Blue 100w (actually 60w) solar panel. Supposed to be able to dual charge my power bank by USB and USB C at the same time. Knowing me I’ll probably blow something up :lol: :lol:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

hobo wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:26 am Sunny up here, so finally playing with my Big Blue 100w (actually 60w) solar panel. Supposed to be able to dual charge my power bank by USB and USB C at the same time. Knowing me I’ll probably blow something up :lol: :lol:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BigBlue-Foldab ... 1XJ1D?th=1?

Why do you say 'actually 60W'? Is that something you've measured in full bright UK sun. Implying that 100W is what they might get at mid-day in the Sahara desert on midsummer's day

I hate how these companies exaggerate. I knew it was bad, but not that bad.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong