What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:03 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:46 pm Do you mean like Smash? Or dehydrated potato slices?

I have the Idahoan mash - it's bloody gorgeous.
Smash .We like the Idahoan too.
I just found the Tesco 90p one - is it actually any good? What do you use it for? I haven't found anything nearly as good as the Idahoan. Actually, I've just sent them a glowing email about their potato products, which may yield some free samples or some vouchers. :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:05 pm
jansman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:03 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:46 pm Do you mean like Smash? Or dehydrated potato slices?

I have the Idahoan mash - it's bloody gorgeous.
Smash .We like the Idahoan too.
I just found the Tesco 90p one - is it actually any good? What do you use it for? I haven't found anything nearly as good as the Idahoan. Actually, I've just sent them a glowing email about their potato products, which may yield some free samples or some vouchers. :mrgreen:
Nothing fancy,it’s mashed spuds.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I'll pick a few up to add to the stash - 90p is cheap(er) than chips!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:10 pm I'll pick a few up to add to the stash - 90p is cheap(er) than chips!
Most of these mashed spud products are perfect for everyday diet. Hardly worth making your own mash. The more extras they have in, like milk or cheese flavouring, the slightly shorter the shelf life. And of course the nicer the taste and the higher the price.

Morrisons own brand is good at 55p. (sometimes 50p) two portion sachet.
For pure naked spud and VFM, Asda Smart price is (*) great value at 29p Currently delisted :( Maybe I bought them out. :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
British Red

Post by British Red »

jansman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:30 pm F%or hunting,more .22 air gun ammunition. An air gun is superb for putting a dinner on the table. I have shotguns,but the .22 is more stealthy.
It is a great tool and ammunition is cheap and unrestricted (except in Scotland of course!l.

I enjoy shooting so we've got all manner of firearms but a decent air rifle is a good pot filler. I am toying with some night vision on the PCP - adds another dimension
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

This week...
To have a little play with hydroponics and compressed compost, I sowed some Kale, Lettuce and Cauli and moved some asparagus seedlings out of soil. They survive or they don't.

Found some self chitted spuds. They're set aside for planting tomorrow in a big trugg . Too late? Probably.
Speaking of too late... Wilkinsons have BIG bags of onion sets for 60p.White and red, Quite small onions a bit less than firm. Bought a couple of bags.

This brings my variety of potential foods to 22 varieties. Sowed some marigolds too. :)

My Swiss chard has some young leaves that look ready for harvest for a salad, this week. Yayyyy.

Acquired the wood and screws for the last of the raised beds. More damned compost to buy :|

Ate the last of last year's leeks. Nom Nom Nom
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Kick-starting getting more precious metals.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Bought more basics for my stockpile.
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Bought a heap of silverskin onions in vinegar yesterday from lidl, cheaper than growing and pickling myself and a bit short of growing space so will use it for something else. Also got a heap of nappies, toiletries and wipes for 2 new babies due in a couple of months. I would normally give clothes as a present but as both already have children I thought they'd have more use for nappies etc and just in case they'd be harder to get then. No sacks of dog food again asked and was told they keep trying but they don't know why they don't get any. Got some in Tesco.
Planning to spend my energy in the garden and greenhouse today. Weeding, planting and sowing. Food production has to take priority these days. The housework can wait.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Courgettes and beans are through and seem to be flourishing so I've launched a pre-emptive strike with a few slug pellets I found in the garage. Prepared a couple more trugs for planting. Pricing up some shelving units for the under stairs cupboard to use the space more effectively.