Distilled water

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Setfree

Re: Distilled water

Post by Setfree »

Yeah this is great to know Hazmat thanks
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Be careful drinking too much distilled water as it can flush out vital nutrients from your body.

Be lucky
worried mother

Post by worried mother »

I remember from another site a good few years ago someone had an electric distiller, just a cheap one and was going to run it if needed on either a 12v car battery or an inverter as i am not a car ownwer i am not sure of the exact term, but it could have been an inverter battery.
Setfree

Post by Setfree »

Be careful drinking too much distilled water as it can flush out vital nutrients from your body.

yeap this is true, you can add oph drops to raise the ph back up again to make it alkaline..or put it through an ALKAPOD...
worried mother

Post by worried mother »

I would not normally drink it, it is just incase of a dirty bomb attack
hazmat

Distilled water Myths

Post by hazmat »

Umm, you probably all know the term 'urban myth'?

Take a look at these articles on distilled water.
http://www.jdharris.co.uk/expert-advice ... ater-myths and
http://ezinearticles.com/?Dispelling-My ... id=4927900

Apart from that, sailors have been drinking distilled water for years without ill effects.

The Alternatives:
Reverse osmosis type of water filters also remove minerals and they are the filters of choice for sea and expedition survival. After all what is sea salt but a mineral.
They remain the preferred method of producing bulk drinking water in the field by the US Army.

Carbon filters are most effective at removing chlorine, sediment, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from water. They are not effective at removing minerals, salts, and dissolved inorganic compounds. So they won't generally stop dissolved radioactive iodine's or isotopes.

Conclusions:
In a rad-hazard environment you therefore have only two choices if you are going to process and drink water and that is distillation and reverse osmosis.