Vitamin c

Re: Investments

Post by Vitamin c »

LAND .
Fill er up jacko...
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

To your first point on top quality stuff. I will admit there is an element of truth about it. After all a chippendale is worth more than an ikea. Saying that , I mentioned I collect ostalgia , items from the former East Germany , and on a collectors forum there was a comment that the cheap tattiness of the stuff is one of the attractive features of collecting.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

And yes land is probably a good suggestion. After all they're not making any more of it. I'm just not sure about the land we own with an ex council house built on it...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:53 pm take a look at a modern bike and most of the tools I've amassed are blooming obsolete. Not a square taper bottom bracket in sight, press fit bearings , the once standard 26" wheel is almost defunct 9 speed rear blocks gone. 3x Front chain rings :roll: gone that's before you get onto the suspension forks and hydraulic disc brakes
The husband of a schoolfriend of mine who recently got back in touch with me accidentally started a business in his barn of making electric bikes 8-) of course, you have to have a smallholding to do that ...
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I have a friend who has recently been made redundant . In the past he has made a number of wooden toys , trains , cars , lorries , baby walkers and so on and that has suited the limited space he has. However , when he started to look into actually making them to sell to make a few quid he found it's a legal minefield and not just a case of making sure to use lead free paint...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell, was that because it's toys and children, or just general bye laws and red tape? Such a shame!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

From what he has been telling me the rules are there to protect children but it's scope is quite wide. He was saying that it covers all sorts of things such as models , and decorative or collectable items anything that can be said to have "play value" which I suppose if one took it to the extreme could include everything as kids will play with anything. For example has told me that if he made a wooden lorry it would fall under the rules but if fixed to a base it loses it's play value. Evidentally there is a good deal of testing needed from structural strength , finishes and glues to get the all important CE mark. I will say I've not looked into this myself and feel there must be some way around that but my friend is pretty adamant.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:42 am grenfell, was that because it's toys and children, or just general bye laws and red tape? Such a shame!
Rules. The cycle repair carries legal responsibility- quite rightly- as if a customer ( for instance) has a brake repair,and they fail because of poor work,guess who ( might) be blamed? The fact that as a dyed -in- the - wool- cyclist ,I KNOW what safe work is, red -tape is an issue. It does annoy me that if you buy a bike from Argos - in a box- they only have to supply instructions.A cycle shop is liable for injuries, because they actually put it together!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:58 pm It does annoy me that if you buy a bike from Argos - in a box- they only have to supply instructions.A cycle shop is liable for injuries, because they actually put it together!
One that always used to get me surrounded chainsaws. It may have changed now I don't know but at one time anyone could go and buy one , no training or anything but to hire one we had to show our chainsaw tickets to prove we were trained and understood the hazards.
Forge I don't know what you posted but I don't seem to be able to open it :(