How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
itsybitsy

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by itsybitsy »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:44 am No, I didn't fix prices last year - by the time a new fix was on my timetable, Martin was advising the same as he does now, to stay on the standard rate for almost everyone. I like him, I trust his openness about his decision making, so I just sat here and did nowt :mrgreen:
Same.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I was fixed and then that company hit the skids and now I'm on the standard rate of the company I was switched to.

They are the third company in less then a year!

As Mr Lewis suggests I'm going to stick for a bit and see what happens next.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
hobo

Post by hobo »

Fixed here with a community switch last May. January’s direct debit was £45 dual fuel. Though it was offset by a free builders bag of wood from a warm homes scheme :)
Unfortunately, the landlord is selling up and the only rental properties here seem to be prepayment flats. Bah. Was time to downsize anyway with my lads flying away.
We plan to use the ‘big’ carpeted bedroom as a living room in the cold months and camp out in the huge linoed living room in summer. Not a fan of storage heaters, so I’ll be actively looking for a bungalow with wood burner!
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

I fixed and they went bust in October so now I'm with Shell. And tearing my hair out because they are so incompetent. As soon as I can get their errors sorted I will switch even though it will be from one standard rate to another, just to get away from them
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Had a look at that Tesco 7.99 monthly clubcard + but ditched idea. Would mean have to do all shopping at Tesco and they aren't usually cheapest
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Looking at our incomings and outgoing carefully.

Sat down with a print out of the last couple of months bank statements, highlighted most of it into different colours for different categories - ie yellow for my weekly main food shopping, purple for bills such as gas and phone, green for petrol and car parking, pink for any takeaways and food on the go etc etc. Helps you see where your money disappears as though you may know that you're spending too much on random sundries, when you see it highlighted on paper, it stands out so you know where you can cut costs. It make it more visual. We have something we want to spend out on but with rising costs, this helped us see our biggest areas of expenditure so we can now budget for it better. For example, hubby knows that him buying a bit of food at lunch most days is not good but when he saw how much it was adding up a month and how much we'd save a month, it focussed him a bit more. "I really must bring my own food to work..." I was pleasantly pleased to see I barely spend any money on clothes when you average it our a month unlike some of my friends and unlike my 21 year old daughter ( Well ... she used to spend before she moved out and had to budget herself :lol: )
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have started to put together a table for houshold appliances and their costs per day to run. Unsurprisingy the tuble drier is expensive at about £1.50 a time. The electric cooker also costs about £1.50 a day Yhe adult sons cook separately so it always seems to be on. The surprise was the laptop power supplies - If running (which they usually are) and using the rated 65 watts or so the 5 laptops in the house add up to the same as the tumble drier. Washing machine was less than I expected unless I do a boil wash and lighting is not a big worry.
Now to start to get everyone into better habits before our costs all go up dramatically and then repeat the exercise with the groceries.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We are finding ourselves pleased we have a good stock of food,cleaning and hygiene products.Animal feed too. It means we can budget our weekly shopping a lot better. As everything creeps up ( except income) there is going to be less money to spare.
Cutting waste is a big one too. Anything thrown in the bin is money in the bin.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Unless it's peelings in the compost bin. Why pay the council for composted green waste (which will probably import Japanese knotweed)?
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

We’d be ok but with 3 kids in the house the weekly shopping bill is rocketing up at quite a rate at the moment.