How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
jansman

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by jansman »

Kiwififer wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:21 pm I’m changing jobs.

I’ve been verbally offered it but I have to jump through hoops on Wednesday for it.

Slightly more money and a possible four day week. If I choose to bus it, I get 2/3 of it reimbursed so I think I will be taking it
Good luck!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Thanks.

I’ve worked for the organisation before, it wasn’t a good time for various reasons and it’s the only job I’ve left after a year so I thought I would never go back to the chaos, but my old boss phoned me up and offered me the post in a new service with all the above. I’m good at what I do and he said he needs someone experienced to help the younger newbies which was nice of him.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's great, Kiwififer, good feedback and a good package too.

I'm finding I have a lot of food only just in date - mega jars of beetroot and olives, mainly :lol: so my meals are a bit strange at the moment :lol: but I'm rationalising the space as I go.

And this is the first ever year that I've harvested all my rhubarb - I usually pick a few sticks in late August and call it quits. This year, I've filled the dehydrator 4 times over, and had lots of fresh stewed as well - some I've eaten, some has gone in the freezer. I can't recommend rhubarb as a crop highly enough - the odd weed wants to take root nearby, and I hoick it out, and that's it, it delivers *so* much. I never bought it from the shops, but I'm very glad to have this.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Well, this arrived in my works email Friday so looks like I'll be dealing with increasing prices with increasing overtime :roll:

(This is a joke! - I'm not expecting a monkey pox epidemic although we do have a few cases up here)

Screenshot_20220619-095239_Drive.jpg
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Kiwi: I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Thanks very much. I’m not taking anything for granted as verbal contracts are not worth the paper they are written on….
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:05 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:02 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:11 pm

Folks ‘seem’ to be a bit snotty about tinned food, but it’s good stuff. I had not got bacon from the freezer last night. When I go fishing, I always have a fry up. This morning it was tinned bacon, two of my hens eggs and some tinned tomatoes. And bread and butter. Banging! That kept me going from 5 am until noon. :lol:
I'm a fan of tins - they are relatively cheap, keep for ages and these days you can get a great variety - something for every budget. I also think of tetra packs/jars etc when I think of 'tinned food', and I have got cupboards full. :mrgreen:

I think a lot of folk are going to have to get on board with the idea of tinned food as we move through this 'situation' whatever the hell it is and however long it takes to do so. like anything some tins are good and some tins are bad - but that's more about the quality of the contents and you have to try a few sometimes until you find a brand you're happy with.

I've got some tip top tinned petit pois and carrots from France (for some reason they taste so much better) and also tinned cassoulet - also very good - and cant get it in the UK - and relatively inexpensive.
I consider jars and tetra packs in the same way too. My dear wife is not a big fan of rice. However, she doesn’t mind the microwave rice. 35p a pack and 2 minutes in the microwave. Win win. There is good and bad , and as you say, you need to find the foods that suit you.
I have the microwave rice and it's great - obviously doesn't keep as long as 'normal' rice but it's great for the day to day - all the other stuff is in the longer term prep bracket or when finances dictate that I can't afford the microwave stuff - I don't know where you're getting it for 35p, I pay £1.00 for a packet of Uncle Bens.
British Red

Post by British Red »

hobo

Post by hobo »

jansman

Post by jansman »

Tesco or Aldi.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.