Rising energy prices mitigation

Homes and Retreats
Quill

Re: Rising energy prices mitigation

Post by Quill »

shocker wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:44 pm What about those amazing Rolls Royce self contained mini reactors for local generation?
Apparently (https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... rs-venture) going well, first reactors could be online by 2031.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Thanks Quill, good find and post. Answers my questions, plus it's good news on that front ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:56 pm
grenfell wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:13 am Stuff
Spot on. We need to use less.Fact. If governments around the world said ,” we have to ration EVERYTHING,and it will never end “ the Population of the developed,privileged world would be livid. The fact that our world is resource limited,but the politicos and economists think we can grow,grow,grow,in a world that is finite,shows where we are.

Without constant ‘growth’ more shiny shite,bread and circuses,the electorate will turn against the PTB. That is why the myth of growth is perpetuated.It gets votes,and keeps the people calm. Can’t have a holiday in a Dubai,no new I phone,no Netflix…No Tesco or Sainsbury,or Lidl…or where is my grub coming from?

The moment it is clear that the power is gone ,or nearly gone,a bit like a garden party in a lockdown,the population will rebel. But unlike a party in lockdown,when the power goes,then so does the Economy; which is society itself.
on the positive side we had week long blackouts to part of the country quite recently and there wasn't widespread rioting or dissent , in fact there did seem a fair bit of "pulling together" at least to help the vulnerable. Ok so it was in the depths of winter and largely rural but positive either way . Could be different of course if it were to happen in a city in summer but generally our power system is under less demand in the summer. I do think there would be an irony if the power went down and rioting did happen in that looking at other times of civil unrest it's shops selling tech that seem to be targeted by looters first.
I've long been a "believer" in the concept of a long slow crash but at the same time I sometimes feel that in itself is a mismomer. It's more that we have wandered off course and the crash is more of a resetting . For most of human history we have existed with what is now relatively low consumption of resources , it's only in the past couple of hundred years that things have changed.
Long term the long slow crash might just be the thing that saves us as people gradually learn to accept change.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I've just snagged two lovely cream Witney blankets. Both bedrooms are in neutral tones so they will look great on the beds. They are the lovely cellular ones with the silk edging and are a wool and acrylic mix. I got both for £22.00 on Fleabay - they arrived this morning and are in the washer at the moment. I also have two of the peach pure wool blankets, the ones with the stitched edge, which are very warm but rather rough to the touch. They are 'emergency' stock, in case we are suddenly plunged into some kind of arctic vortex! :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 am I've just snagged two lovely cream Witney blankets. Both bedrooms are in neutral tones so they will look great on the beds. They are the lovely cellular ones with the silk edging and are a wool and acrylic mix. I got both for £22.00 on Fleabay - they arrived this morning and are in the washer at the moment. I also have two of the peach pure wool blankets, the ones with the stitched edge, which are very warm but rather rough to the touch. They are 'emergency' stock, in case we are suddenly plunged into some kind of arctic vortex! :lol:

Couple of pins and a scratchy one makes good emergency thermal curtain be it over a window or door ...

Our local drinking den has a bar area and a snooker hall with a large flat roof.. the roof is insulated but not to modern standards ..

The warm air from the bar area vanishes into the snooker hall someone donated some old Drayton curtains to seal off the archway but allow access what a difference!
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And still the energy issues slowly rumble on a new grid connect to France got kicked back

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.c ... d-12521051

Yes it's got political links in the story but after the Kent interconnect caught fire it would have bolstered resilience

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Whilst sorting through the in-laws house looking for items they need in their care home I came across a pile of wool blankets and grabbed them them to store in the airing cupboard in case of need. I have been searching in charity shops and Ebay for a few only to find them being sold at ridiculous prices. Army blankets look ok and seem cheaper but also look itchy and scratchy. We are mostly electric and oil here with a couple of wood burners. Heat really is not an issue as we get donated wood, foraged wood, free wood and some we buy. Oil is a different matter and we try to be frugal and have used the oil heating little this year as we had a plentiful supply of wood. Electric is a different matter normally costing £85 + per month. I am often to be found shouting about turning lights off, dry some clothes in front of the wood burner and sit by candle light in the evening. Husband is now rationed to the lamp in the lounge rather than the big light when I will happily wander around in the dark, rather than turning lights on. Sadly husband and youngest daughter are not quite as frugal and I am often to be heard shouting the immortal words "turn the lights off, its like Blackpool illuminations in here"
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 pm Whilst sorting through the in-laws house looking for items they need in their care home I came across a pile of wool blankets and grabbed them them to store in the airing cupboard in case of need. I have been searching in charity shops and Ebay for a few only to find them being sold at ridiculous prices. Army blankets look ok and seem cheaper but also look itchy and scratchy. We are mostly electric and oil here with a couple of wood burners. Heat really is not an issue as we get donated wood, foraged wood, free wood and some we buy. Oil is a different matter and we try to be frugal and have used the oil heating little this year as we had a plentiful supply of wood. Electric is a different matter normally costing £85 + per month. I am often to be found shouting about turning lights off, dry some clothes in front of the wood burner and sit by candle light in the evening. Husband is now rationed to the lamp in the lounge rather than the big light when I will happily wander around in the dark, rather than turning lights on. Sadly husband and youngest daughter are not quite as frugal and I am often to be heard shouting the immortal words "turn the lights off, its like Blackpool illuminations in here"

phq444h.jpg
I'm glad of the brighter weather my solar stuff is back doing something 8-) had an issue the other week where I thought my leisure battery for my shed heater was goosed got a new battery and it appears to be weak but working on a decent charge :evil:

Think the kids and those upcoming will have to understand that the house is no longer A sauna

I was brought up as mum and dad had gas central heating installed there was a mini balanced flu fire in each bedroom as a kid which my dad would light a few times a year just in case most houses had them but most have been removed and the vents cemented up

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:35 pm And still the energy issues slowly rumble on a new grid connect to France got kicked back

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.c ... d-12521051

Yes it's got political links in the story but after the Kent interconnect caught fire it would have bolstered resilience
Mixed feelings about this one to be honest. It would be a good idea to have it AND an increased capacity for generation , most likely wind , so we could export as much as we import but I fear that those in charge would use it to increase our imports and make us more reliant on the continent and as such do the complete opposite to bolstering our resilience.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:10 am Think the kids and those upcoming will have to understand that the house is no longer A sauna
Think the kids will realise that long before the leaders of our economies realise that we need to start looking at degrowth.