Buy or build a Home First Aid Kit

Medical and Healthcare
Jeffjones297

Re: Buy or build a Home First Aid Kit

Post by Jeffjones297 »

Construct compile your own, most first aid kits are worthless and don't contain what you need, besides plasters and have stuff you'll never use/need.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jeffjones297 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:11 pm Construct compile your own, most first aid kits are worthless and don't contain what you need, besides plasters and have stuff you'll never use/need.
Agreed. ;) However,I would say that first aid training is MORE important! With the knowledge of treatment,one can adapt with equipment available. As an example,I was a career butcher of 42 years. I sure saw some injuries over that time! I can remember a lad catching two fingers into a slicer . A first aid kit was a waste of time.I literally tightened a clean cloth around his fingers,wrapped a clean towel,arm up and put a bandage on his arm quickly.on that bandage ( on and above elbow) I tightened a length of beef butchering rope as a tourniquet. The ambulance arrived quickly and took over.
That’s training.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

It depends on the training, a one day course is quickly forgotten, all you'll remember is about burns and choking and elevating wounds and what to do in a case of shock, if you're lucky.
Yearly refreshers are the way to go, to keep the knowledge fresh and implanted.
I am lucky, I was a nurse for 34 yrs and worked in many varied dept's, including a & e.
But then again, I knew nurses who didn't have a clue and we're useless in an emergency. A cool head is often what's required and the confidence to use it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jeffjones297 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:22 am It depends on the training, a one day course is quickly forgotten, all you'll remember is about burns and choking and elevating wounds and what to do in a case of shock, if you're lucky.
Yearly refreshers are the way to go, to keep the knowledge fresh and implanted.
I am lucky, I was a nurse for 34 yrs and worked in many varied dept's, including a & e.
But then again, I knew nurses who didn't have a clue and we're useless in an emergency. A cool head is often what's required and the confidence to use it.
The training was appropriate- after all,first aid is to ( hopefully) keep someone alive until the expert professional (s) arrive. I was a butcher,not a doctor! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.