TooGoodToGo

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: TooGoodToGo

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:20 pm Kefir is a probiotic drink usually made from milk. Think thin fizzy yoghurt. There is also a water kefir which we make at home. Kefir grains + water +sugar + 2 hours and maybe a bit of dried fruit or lemon makes a DIY fizzy drink.
Thanks. I glugged it at Breakfast. As you described. Not bad, but not something I'd usually buy.
I rather object to these probiotic drinks and little yoghurt pots because of all the plastic waste. Indeed this tgtg bag had loads of evil plastic. Oh hum. Cheap food is cheap food.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

A slight TGTG 'speriment today: My local Carvery pub/restaurant does TGTG of two sorts: Carvery meat trimmings or Vegetarian carvery. The meat trimmings one is rare as hens teeth, but tonight I opted for the veggie option.
What I got was no surprise. Queued with the regular carvery queue, I was handed a quite large plastic microwave take-out box and told to help myself to veg. Mashed spuds, boiled new spuds, roasted spuds, carrots, swede, parsnips,green beans, brocolli, stuffing, onion gravy. Sadly, no yorkshire pudding.

I didn't ram jam the box, but easily fitted 1.5kg of veg and gravy in there. I could probably have got it up to over two kg.

OK. there was no meat, but this box would easily make two or three large dinners. I could add a few sausages or a bit of chicken for the full carvery experience.

Currently in the fridge to be nuked tomorrow. I wonder how much meat in the meat trimmings box?

Total price: £3.29 Collection time was a very tight 15 minute window

That's a 20p piece for scale.
IMG_20230625_194350.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

Nice! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's a useful amount of food, to save breaking in to your own stores. Nice one, Jenny.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:51 pm That's a useful amount of food, to save breaking in to your own stores. Nice one, Jenny.
Indeed. TGTG stretches the budget a treat.
I'm hoping to grab a meat trimmings 'magic bag' one day, soon. See how much meat I can get for £3.29.

I had to pick up this one at 19:15 and noticed that the 'carvery' was out of meat apart from Turkey. I'd have been well annoyed if I'd gone there to dine in.

Those places shamelessly waste food. When the turkey gets chucked because all the lean meat is gone, there must be several kilo of good meat left. Some days their collection window is just after 9pm.

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:02 pm A slight TGTG 'speriment today:

Currently in the fridge to be nuked tomorrow. I wonder how much meat in the meat trimmings box?

Total price: £3.29 Collection time was a very tight 15 minute window

IMG_20230625_194350.jpg
The TGTG carvery veg just got devoured! Served with a few slices of cooked chicken.

Verdict:-
The 1.5kg tub ( which would have easily held 2.5kg ) made three stupidly generous servings. So we could have got 5 sensible servings for our £3.29
The roasted spuds were not nice nuked. The Parsnips were delish and other veg were fine. So less Roast spuds next time.
Next time I'll take a small pot to isolate the gravy. ( Discretely and within the serving tray )
We missed the Yorkshire Pud :( But I think that's down to the server being moody.
Probably best eaten ASAP. If one is inclined to dine late, this could have been a same day takeaway feast.

Washed down with beer this was a peasant's way to dine like a king. :lol:

Also, a handy, re-usable microwave tray/seed propagator.

I did wonder if there is potential for turning this box of veg into a half gallon of 'carvery soup' by suitable ingredient selection. Nobody says you can't fill your boots with, say, just brocolli,

Will do this again, maybe monthly. I still want to try the meat only box for size.

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:02 pm A slight TGTG 'speriment today: My local Carvery pub/restaurant does TGTG of two sorts: Carvery meat trimmings or Vegetarian carvery. The meat trimmings one is rare as hens teeth, but tonight I opted for the veggie option....
I didn't ram jam the box, but easily fitted 1.5kg of veg and gravy in there. I could probably have got it up to over two kg.
IMG_20230625_194350.jpg
Tonights TGTG was a slight disappointment.

Veg from the Carvery of my local restaurant, again.

Last time, they gave me a plastic tray to self serve and I easily got 1.5kg in. Tonight, I hoped to get 3kg in with careful loading. It was not to be :(
BUT.... tonight, the server put the veg in for me, just taking on board my preferences. :(
It was still a belly busting portion of 1.04kg of well cooked veg for £3.29

Maybe they've wised up to greedy pigs like myself, or maybe it was an anomaly that I was allowed to self serve the first time or an anomaly that it was not self serve today.

This calls for some research. I will pop in at various TGTG collection times to observe which times and which server shifts are self serve. If any.

Prepping significance, if you think it's a stretch.... I can see that.:-
It's Simple good housekeeping and about managing food reserves and budget.
£3.29 for a kilo of well cooked veg is the kind of Value For Money that lets me afford to add to my food reserves rather than drawing down from them. If I can get the self serve option occasionally, then I hope to segregate the ingredients and freeze some.
Tonights belly buster got augmented by three sausages from a previous regular TGTG bag. :) They go a long way.
IMG_20230714_201411.jpg