Advice for a hopeless gardener

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Advice for a hopeless gardener

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:34 am
jansman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:27 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:47 pm Reporting in on the egyptian tree onions..... With some questions...

Of the 10 or so that survived initial growing. there's now about 8 big chunky and well established multi bulblet plants. I gave the treetop bulbs extremely little help and it looks like 3 or so set themselves down and prospered. Some must have died ? I'm sorry to say that I think they were a bit suppressed by weeds.

Not harvested any yet and no intention to. I intend to keep the weeds down this year and encourage them to completely colonise the 1.2 m sq raised bed.

Should I split the established bulbs, or just nurture the new treetop bulbs a bit better? Each surviving bulblet seems to have grown into a cluster like a garlic bulb. Am I OK to pull and split and replant those?

If/when I harvest these for food, do I take the treetop bulblets or the ones in the ground?
Whatever you see fit. The seeds right on the end though , grow like billy o !
Sorry, what do you mean by "The seeds right on the end"? Do you mean the ones to the outside edge of the cluster with new ground available to them?
I guess I should harvest from the middle of the patch because those bulblets have less potential?
The ones right on the end of each stalk on the top is a seed. They sprout! Use those the plant survives. Dig the bulb in the ground, the plant ends.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:27 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:34 am
jansman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:27 am
Whatever you see fit. The seeds right on the end though , grow like billy o !
Sorry, what do you mean by "The seeds right on the end"? Do you mean the ones to the outside edge of the cluster with new ground available to them?
I guess I should harvest from the middle of the patch because those bulblets have less potential?
The ones right on the end of each stalk on the top is a seed. They sprout! Use those the plant survives. Dig the bulb in the ground, the plant ends.
Cheers.
These triffids are odd :)
So, I don't lift and split the established bulbs ( Like I have with garlic) , I propagate from the ones at the treetop. I suppose that's what I got when I bought them. Is there any benefit in separating them off and planting them spaced out, rather than letting them walk naturally and stay attached to the mother plant till they establish.

I must say that the little bag of sad looking bulblets that I bought and which would have fit together in a matchbox, has , as you say, grown like billy-o. There's probably over a kilo of thriving bulbs there now.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:37 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:27 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:34 am Sorry, what do you mean by "The seeds right on the end"? Do you mean the ones to the outside edge of the cluster with new ground available to them?
Cheers.
These triffids are odd :)
So, I don't lift and split the established bulbs ( Like I have with garlic) , I propagate from the ones at the treetop. I suppose that's what I got when I bought them. Is there any benefit in separating them off and planting them spaced out, rather than letting them walk naturally and stay attached to the mother plant till they establish.

I must say that the little bag of sad looking bulblets that I bought and which would have fit together in a matchbox, has , as you say, grown like billy-o. There's probably over a kilo of thriving bulbs there now.
Simply dig, move, re plant, eat as suits you and your soil. It’s a good tough plant that can be used and moved accordingly

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Prepper fail: Admonish me for my stupidity !!!

I kept loads of packets of seeds in a bucket in the garage. It was almost full. Mostly in their original packets, some of which were opened.

Door left open, it got thoroughly rained on over several weeks: Paper packets got soaked and are now mildewed. Some few seeds mouldy, some sprouting. most got wet.

Might I as well chuck them away as ruined? For the moment I've put them on top of the kitchen cupboards to dry out.

Most annoyingly I harvested about 100g of parsnip seeds and they got wet, too.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

A few questions about Spud seeds.

It's going to be a mixture this year.....

Some 'volunteer' spuds that i dug out when i prepared the ground. They're going back in.
Some non-controversial bought seed spuds, well chitted.
Some BIG spuds that self chitted in the veg rack. Those are getting sliced up.
Some newly bought shop spuds not chitted at all.
But one I'm concerned about are some saved from last year's crop. Kept in a sack in the garage, they have chitted, but they have gone soft and wrinkly. The sprouty bits are broad and short and they look pretty sad. Texture like old person's skin and the body of the spud almost feels baked.

questions... Or we can make forecasts and take bets.

Will the volunteers survive being transplanted?
Will the cut bits just rot?
Will the unchitted spuds catch up?
Are the old wrinklies dead spuds walking?

Will the whole blooming lot get blight? :(

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:29 pm A few questions about Spud seeds.

It's going to be a mixture this year.....

Some 'volunteer' spuds that i dug out when i prepared the ground. They're going back in.
Some non-controversial bought seed spuds, well chitted.
Some BIG spuds that self chitted in the veg rack. Those are getting sliced up.
Some newly bought shop spuds not chitted at all.
But one I'm concerned about are some saved from last year's crop. Kept in a sack in the garage, they have chitted, but they have gone soft and wrinkly. The sprouty bits are broad and short and they look pretty sad. Texture like old person's skin and the body of the spud almost feels baked.

questions... Or we can make forecasts and take bets.

Will the volunteers survive being transplanted?
Will the cut bits just rot?
Will the unchitted spuds catch up?
Are the old wrinklies dead spuds walking?

Will the whole blooming lot get blight? :(
Might,might not. We had clear ground for years. Then a wave of blight moved in and ruined spuds and toms in that same band for years. Its chance. But go for it! :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I thought blight was airborne and not dormant in soil?

Here's the wrinklies, by the way. I'm surprised they stored nearly a year and I do hope they flourish.
IMG_20240407_110840 (1).jpg

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Worst case: You plant them and nothing happens.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:32 pm Worst case: You plant them and nothing happens.
True.
Out they all go as soon as it stops pi55ing down :(

Slightly off topic, visited Mum in Law's grave today ( anniversary ). Grave is swathed with bl00dy mare's tail. I won't be digging out the roots! :shock: I think WD40 on those!. So I expect to see lots of that blasted weed at the lottie when I do get around to planting. Funny really that before I knew what it was, I thought I was blessed with asparagus.

Got me thinking silly and irreverent, even macabre thoughts. If a keen allotmenteer is buried, should their family grow veggies on the grave in homage? I wonder what the council would do. :) Sorry.

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:50 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:32 pm Worst case: You plant them and nothing happens.
True.
Out they all go as soon as it stops pi55ing down :(

Slightly off topic, visited Mum in Law's grave today ( anniversary ). Grave is swathed with bl00dy mare's tail. I won't be digging out the roots! :shock: I think WD40 on those!. So I expect to see lots of that blasted weed at the lottie when I do get around to planting. Funny really that before I knew what it was, I thought I was blessed with asparagus.

Got me thinking silly and irreverent, even macabre thoughts. If a keen allotmenteer is buried, should their family grow veggies on the grave in homage? I wonder what the council would do. :) Sorry.
Veg grown ? Without doubt :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.