PTT. Simples...

Alf_resco.

PTT. Simples...

Post by Alf_resco. »

Any suggestions on multi handset PTT walkies?
I'm after something that doesn't need massive distance or anything fancy, just a simple PTT comms kit.

Any links or suggestions to something you guys may already use?
DO NOT READ THE SENTENCE BELOW.

Oooh you rebel...
korolev

Re: PTT. Simples...

Post by korolev »

Baofeng UV-5R programmed with PMR frequencies ?

Can get them for about £30 each.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

korolev wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:19 pm Baofeng UV-5R programmed with PMR frequencies ?

Can get them for about £30 each.
Hi, I have a baofeng (not that model) but I thought one needed a ham licence to transmit with it? I don't yet, though tempted.

What do you mean programmed with PMR frequencies? Would that mean it could be operated with the rubbishy licence free PTT radios that I got off amazon?
Would that be legal unlicensed?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
korolev

Post by korolev »

Yes, you can use them on PMR without a license if you set that frequency to a maximum transmit power of 0.5W.
Of course if you were to transmit at higher power (1/2/5W) you are VERY unlikely to be noticed.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Apologies. The UV-5R is either 1 or 4 watts so technically illegal to use as PMR (although as I previously said you're never going to be discovered/caught)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

korolev wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:48 pm Apologies. The UV-5R is either 1 or 4 watts so technically illegal to use as PMR (although as I previously said you're never going to be discovered/caught)
Thanks. So, it should be well capable, but overpowered to be legal. Well, how will I sleep nights :D
I've found a PTT frequency list, and the UV82 doesn't seem to allow the decimal accuracy. Will it do so with Chirp, or do I just round to nearest possible frequency?

https://icomuk.co.uk/Changes-to-digital ... /3996/135/

Tomorrow, I'll be trying to pair up the Baofeng with my 10 quid toy walkie talkies.

I'm guessing, but are those PTT channels the ones frequently used by event stewards and maybe shopping mall security etc? If shops or events ever open, I can see that being interesting listening.

I get more in awe of these Baofengs every day. Feature rich and long life battery. Seriously considering getting myself ham licensed. I've run through some EssexHam training and mock exams and I think it's possible, and it looks super cheap to do.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

korolev

Post by korolev »

I've not used the UV-82 but I would try putting the frequency into chirp in full and see if the radio will take it.

Stores/events probably use an Ofcom Business Simple UK Licence, that allows up to 5W. The Baofengs are ideal for that.

I did the Essex Ham course back in Lockdown 1, found it pretty easy (but I've been doing electronics all my life so it was only really the license stuff that I needed to get to grips with).
Give it a go.
Alf_resco.

Post by Alf_resco. »

Cheers gang.
Don't really want to go down th route of licenses and certifications and all that, just simple PTT walkies. Multi channels and with HZ powers and extra long aerials all go over my head a bit.

However I'll go stalk the Baefongs and see what comes up.
DO NOT READ THE SENTENCE BELOW.

Oooh you rebel...
korolev

Post by korolev »

Alf_resco. wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:01 am Cheers gang.
Don't really want to go down th route of licenses and certifications and all that, just simple PTT walkies. Multi channels and with HZ powers and extra long aerials all go over my head a bit.

If you pick up a baofeng and need a code plug (a list of channels you upload rather than pumping them all in manually), I can upload the PMR frequencies for you.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Alf_resco. wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:01 am Cheers gang.

Hi Alf,

As a non-techie, I picked up a pair of walkie talkies from amazon a few years ago, with the intent of simple building to adjacent building comms and a view to using them car to car on holiday trips etc. They all seemed much of a muchness offering upto 3km range and 8 Push To Talk Channels.

Search amazon walkie talkie and you'll see lots of them for a few tens of pounds.

They were totally rubbish. Never again. They would burn through a set of DURACELLS in a few hours while TURNED OFF. They could not work building to building and burned through a set of duracells in 30 mins turned on. Wouldn't even work that well with rechargeables. Seriously, don't entertain cheap PTT walkie talkies.

Last year, I got a Baofeng UV82 for about £30 with half a mind to get ham licensed to make it legit. Now. I'm not saying I ever press transmit on it, but it's a thousand times better in every way. Really does have MILES of range, and massive tuning range. and battery lasts months with light use.

Of course, I should train up and get a Ham radio license, which you can do online. Though it's technical and electronics related, even I can understand it enough to scrape through the mock exams. Read up on Essexham.com for foundation level training. https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/

Dammit. I'm going to go for it :)