What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Le Mouse wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:11 pm I have next week off so I'm making lists of Stuff to Do to get done either side of Christmas - bits of garden before it gets REALLY cold, clearing some stuff out, and the car goes in for MOT on Monday which will likely lead to me needing new tyres.

Don't leave it to the MOT man to decide tyres get a decent garage to check them if you don't know what your looking at (MOT man 1.6mm across centre 3/4 and no bulges splits exposing cords and looks correctly inflated .) Realistically in winter especially 3mm or less get them swapped....... I know my insurer look at MOT fails on your car and your premium reflects the condition of your car (it's public Access information)

Way I do it and it's a bit of leg work so to speak is pick the phone up and ring round local garages and do the

Eh up mate I'm ringing round what's the best price you can do on a 175/65r15 84T tyre (other sizes are available :lol: ) 8-). And add any brand name or type that takes your fancy :lol:

Then check the shops website and often it's cheaper to book and pay on line

With my public service head on go for some proper all season tyres :ugeek: I've just had 2 new Bridgestone all weather tyres fitted (weather control Evo a005)

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-g ... -test-2021 I'm impressed so far much stiffer than the nexens and the car doesn't twitch when you hit standing water

I've also Nexen all seasons and Maxxis ap3 all worked well on most conditions .... Unless you like the sporty drive afforded by sporty summer tyres.

Bit more info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N6PGrQ5imw
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Mouse: Are you saving anything due to not having the commute ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:06 pm Mouse: Are you saving anything due to not having the commute ?
It's complicated. I had to move house (got asked to leave) at the end of April from living with family to moving into my own place. My rent was really quite good and included all bills. Plus I lived walking distance from work.

I moved to the best place I could afford, but that meant moving much further out from the city and now if I go in its over a 10 mile drive. Plus I obviously now also pay all bills. I'm probably paying nearly twice what I was paying before. I need to do the maths because I don't actually know if I would save money going in and therefore not paying heating, or staying home and not paying petrol. But judging by comments from colleagues at work, their outgoings have gone up A LOT since working from home despite having no commute. I've seen quite a few people in online Teams meetings wrapped in blankets or wearing many layers plus a coat so they don't have to have the heating on. And I'm not alone in being asked to move - there's quite a few of us who were lodgers / lived with family, etc., who have been asked to find somewhere else because working from home has put the bills up. And even if we get to go back to the office yet again, it will be on a part time basis as work is taking the advantage of us all being home to do redevelopment work (part of the site is listed and there are legal obligations).

Sorry for the rant. I think it's been a long time coming and unfortunately it's you lot who get it thrown at you :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Le Mouse wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:37 pm Sorry for the rant. I think it's been a long time coming and unfortunately it's you lot who get it thrown at you :lol:
Carry on throwing by all means - it's a bad situation :( and I'm sorry that that's what you're coping with. Horrible to hear of people wrapping up in blankets etc to go on a Teams meeting :(
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:28 pm
Le Mouse wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:37 pm Sorry for the rant. I think it's been a long time coming and unfortunately it's you lot who get it thrown at you :lol:
Carry on throwing by all means - it's a bad situation :( and I'm sorry that that's what you're coping with. Horrible to hear of people wrapping up in blankets etc to go on a Teams meeting :(
Thank you Arzosah x

In happier news, I found some fabulous yarn that belonged to my Nan and picked up some cheap knitting needles and I plan on making some fingerless gloves / arm warmers / Dickensian workhouse mitts :mrgreen: I have a very short pair that just cover my palm and just a bit of my wrist and they are a lifesaver for cold hands, but I could do with a pair that's slightly longer in the hand and much longer in the wrist / arm. Plus I haven't knitted for yonks. It's a nice chance to relearn a skill.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Mouse I'm on my 9th pair of fingerless gloves. I like knitting them, it's a change from damn bloody socks. People like them for shopping and driving.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm wearing wrist warmers too, when it's really cold :mrgreen:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Mouse: Don't worry about the rant, sometimes you* just need to blow off steam if only for your mental health (crying is the same )

Knitting is on my list of 'stuff I want to learn'..... But I'm a bit time poor ATM

*Thats 'you' as in people generally, not you personally
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Spent the afternoon on a fire warden course lots changed since last time you don't get to play with real fires anymore just some form of gas burner that the man turns off if it you ,"do the right thing" :cry:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Great thinking Andy - so when they get a real live fire they'll panic like hell and run around screaming cos its a real live fire... :mrgreen: