Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
steptoe

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by steptoe »

@Frnc as i have said i have a lock on a bedroom only because it is now a gun room but other than that like you just put good locks on the main doors in , see when i trained with a fire crew we expected the main doors to be well locked and did just smash it on but we did not carry heavy break in kit i think if i remember we had a pry bar and i am not even sure if is was a axe but nothing big enough to smash doors down , also medical wise you have think people may not want ot break in your bedroom to chek on you you might just be sleeping off a hangover or something .

If you do have to have a lock a yale is nothing you can smash a door in with a yale on it fairly easy for a fire officer but motice well as you know they are there to stop people .

If you do still use it yes always leave the key ready and keep a torch by your bed because lets say your in bed go to get up and power is out you can not find the key in the dark , like jen i hate locked bedroom doors even after fitting locks for many indian family i would only even fit yales to there rooms , when they use to split a house up , i do understand the person breaking in for ladies on there own but i can tell you keep a length of 2 x 2 with a notch cut in one end and a splay at the other under your bed it is better than a basebell bat first off if you do feel up to tackling a burgler you have something but again that would be your choice (police advice here do not just block the door and call 999 ) but the idea of the wood is you could use as a defence but if you did hit someone with it the courts could not say you intended to hurt someone you could show that the wood has a notch to fit under the handle and the other end a splay to lock against the floor , you can even buy that type of bar that fits under a handle and keep that under your bed on the days you feel unsafe just use that behind the door and once you know someone else is in again you can take it away , i beleive those bars have been banned in hotels now because of the if a fire happens again it makes it hard to get in ot help a person .

Whatever you choose please please think it through first , stay safe
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

steptoe wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:43 pm @Frnc as i have said i have a lock on a bedroom only because it is now a gun room but other than that like you just put good locks on the main doors in , see when i trained with a fire crew we expected the main doors to be well locked and did just smash it on but we did not carry heavy break in kit i think if i remember we had a pry bar and i am not even sure if is was a axe but nothing big enough to smash doors down , also medical wise you have think people may not want ot break in your bedroom to chek on you you might just be sleeping off a hangover or something .

If you do have to have a lock a yale is nothing you can smash a door in with a yale on it fairly easy for a fire officer but motice well as you know they are there to stop people .

If you do still use it yes always leave the key ready and keep a torch by your bed because lets say your in bed go to get up and power is out you can not find the key in the dark , like jen i hate locked bedroom doors even after fitting locks for many indian family i would only even fit yales to there rooms , when they use to split a house up , i do understand the person breaking in for ladies on there own but i can tell you keep a length of 2 x 2 with a notch cut in one end and a splay at the other under your bed it is better than a basebell bat first off if you do feel up to tackling a burgler you have something but again that would be your choice (police advice here do not just block the door and call 999 ) but the idea of the wood is you could use as a defence but if you did hit someone with it the courts could not say you intended to hurt someone you could show that the wood has a notch to fit under the handle and the other end a splay to lock against the floor , you can even buy that type of bar that fits under a handle and keep that under your bed on the days you feel unsafe just use that behind the door and once you know someone else is in again you can take it away , i beleive those bars have been banned in hotels now because of the if a fire happens again it makes it hard to get in ot help a person .

Whatever you choose please please think it through first , stay safe
If I lock it, key is always in the key hole. In fact that's where I keep my keys. I used to hang them on the door but I find this way is easier to always know where they are. I have a head torch on the bed post and a hand torch next to my phone, next to my bed. I'm only gonna lock it when I'm on my own late at night, from now on.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

OK just try and stay as safe as possible as i say there are many ways to protect yourself , the door bar wedge is great i make my own from 3 x 2 timber that is our side door that leads to the corridor that leads to our storage area but it also leads round the back of the house and ot the garage so i am fortifing that area and the garage doors as well have 4 main drop shoot bolts top and bottom a major central ket loak and 2 larege brass hamdles inside that a 4 x 2 goes through lol , i know over kill but that area will be out bug out area car in backward fill with all the stack and stores and all that then the weapons in last we then get in well wife would start the car i then unlock the doors and then have a rope i pull from the passenger seat to open the doors so that is we were being blocked or people trying to break in we can then drive out , it is funny the ideas that some of the zombie movies give you for home sercurity , i am not a great fan of the films but films like that or disarster movies you know like 2012 and the likes flood and so on some of them throw up good ideas we like the hurricane tornado type in the mid west as they have some great ideas , and tremours gave me the idea for my gun room i wanted a house with a celler i could convert to gun room but well this house never had i guess i could get one but i am happy with my room .

Try an keep a hairspray can in the bedroom also you spray that in a persons face it puts them right off attcking you , i know for ladies on their own this world cane be horrible but not all are bad i guess but i like you fear for ladies living alone because i know some are tough as nails but well i will not go into it to much but i would bring back hanging lol i know .

But look at things to keep in the room as i say hairspray in the face of an attacker puts them right off any old keys keep them on a main large ring you know a split ring you can then hold the split ring in your palm place the keys between your fingers point out yale keys are best and that makes a nasty weapon , again if they are keys to your house you can argue self defence with a house hold item , just try and think or things that you would have round a house i know it is not a place to talk to much about as you are not meant to defend your home these days if someone breaks in they say call the cops .

I guess your a lady living alone other that lodgers , do they do self defence classes in your area for ladies may be go along chat to others , do not be affraid to live in your own home and those places are great for not just the classes you can get ideas of what others do to feel safe in there homes .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Can we try and steer clear of weapons discussion please as it doesn't make us look good in the eyes of the world it makes us look nuttier than peanut butter and has legal implications especially if you home alone an intruder with your hairspray...
images (8).jpeg
images (8).jpeg (3.94 KiB) Viewed 720 times

The law is an ass sometimes :
Offensive weapons fall into three categories:

Those made for causing injury to the person. These include: machetes, swords, flick knives, truncheons. These weapons are classed as having no innocent quality. Other weapons which do not fall into this category do have an innocent purpose such as ordinary razors, penknives and lock knives.
contact us
Those adapted for such a purpose
Those not so made or adapted, but carried with the intention of causing injury to the person (this definition offers much broader scope to include items which do have an innocent purpose but are carried with the intent to use them as an offensive weapon)
So you belt the heck out of an intruder with a old maglite torch at 11am your going to have some explaining to do ... Yet should the intruder disturb you at the same time of day whilst your in the kitchen and you clobber them with the rolling pin which was on the draining board drying (would you like a scone officer? ;) ) your less likely to be in hot water.

Yet 3am noise you took the torch to investigate in the dark it's a far more legitimate reason to have it in your hand ..

That's without getting into instant arming
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:25 pm Can we try and steer clear of weapons discussion please as it doesn't make us look good in the eyes of the world it makes us look nuttier than peanut butter and has legal implications especially if you home alone an intruder with your hairspray...

images (8).jpeg

The law is an ass sometimes :
Offensive weapons fall into three categories:

Those made for causing injury to the person. These include: machetes, swords, flick knives, truncheons. These weapons are classed as having no innocent quality. Other weapons which do not fall into this category do have an innocent purpose such as ordinary razors, penknives and lock knives.
contact us
Those adapted for such a purpose
Those not so made or adapted, but carried with the intention of causing injury to the person (this definition offers much broader scope to include items which do have an innocent purpose but are carried with the intent to use them as an offensive weapon)
So you belt the heck out of an intruder with a old maglite torch at 11am your going to have some explaining to do ... Yet should the intruder disturb you at the same time of day whilst your in the kitchen and you clobber them with the rolling pin which was on the draining board drying (would you like a scone officer? ;) ) your less likely to be in hot water.

Yet 3am noise you took the torch to investigate in the dark it's a far more legitimate reason to have it in your hand ..

That's without getting into instant arming
Hi andy yes that is why i said not to say to much , but for ladies some do nothing think of what they can use in the event , as you say it is hard when you have to explain protecting yourself in your own home , we had this with mother in law 80 odd years old and 2 drug heads befriended her and were going in when no was round stealing her food we had stocked in her cupboard we all thought wow she is eating lots , it was only one day wife rang her mum and got told she had guests we went right round and caught them in the act the male was clearly fresh out of prison had a coat over arm and hand in waist band and i read that right i put my wife behind me and just ushered him out along with the girl i knew why he was holding wasit band he had taken a kitchen knife , but my wife the terrier was like get him get him i said get behind me let them go , the police said it was the right thing to do the guy was just out of prison from a spell for wounding with intent , it is funny like you say that is why i said not top keep strange things under the bed you know what i mean when people say i got this or that if they come in , i hope as i say not off the subject but just trying to say a mortice lock is not really a protection item you could be putting your life at risk locking a bedroom door .

As you say andy i am sorry i was not saying use weapons what i was tryign to point the lady to is that the lock could do her more harm than good and if she feels that worried keep things to make her feel safer .
Rykard

Post by Rykard »

steptoe wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:04 am

We have just started bulking up security on our house but i would never lock a bedroom door , it is a little like our new doors and locks when the police did a check on our house the police office said you went boots and braces on the windows and doors our door is hated by police as to get in they struggle when doing raids .
what sort of doors & locks are recommended?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Rykard wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:05 pm

We have just started bulking up security on our house but i would never lock a bedroom door , it is a little like our new doors and locks when the police did a check on our house the police office said you went boots and braces on the windows and doors our door is hated by police as to get in they struggle when doing raids .

Depend on what your securing a decent hardwood door / wooden window frame or a uPVC / composite require different locks / methods

If you've got the typical uPVC / composite door a euro cylinder to BS TS007 *** (THREE STAR) are the most secure
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Rykard wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:05 pm

Hi do you mean for the police check for FAC licence , if so our house when we got it had basic wood backdoor and side door and the front door hmmm was an old style pvc we have gone belt and braces on the front door i forget the make but the police office did say they hate them as do the firebridgade as they are a 8ugger to get through , the read door was also changed and the side to but the side door leads to the main storage area of the food racks and supplies so that has not got window bars fitted and i am fitting door braces to it also that we can just dropthe bars in and well bar a tank so to speak it should hold out and no one can get in to steal , we have also started bulking up on the lights i have also fitted the lights so they can be plugged in to power banks shoudl the power go out i want lights on the doors and dark areas .

It is funny but being a ec chippy i was out of the game a long time but well you still know when people are giving BS on locks it is funny you have a feel of it , put a lock in my hand and i can tell the quality by just the feel with my eyes closed not sure why you just do .

If you want advice on locks for your FAC speak with your FEO each area is different but also if you are goign to put a cabinet in put it away from windows and views from windows , disguise it if you canb ie build a wardrobe round it or paint it the same colour as the walss that fools some in a rush , if you are looking at the bedroom door and it is a gun room then a mortice lock is a good start but if it is to be used to sleep in as well then no
Rykard

Post by Rykard »

it was doors and lock in general. we have pvc doors but they 'don't feel substantial'
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Rykard wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:05 pm it was doors and lock in general. we have pvc doors but they 'don't feel substantial'
Ah ok you can get them checked i am guessing you have window locks in the handles with the little key if not you could fit the extra little locks that screw on the frame and sash and you lock with a key , i like these for when we go out because we remove the keys then put them back when home .

Also you could look at the little window al;arms if you have weak frames and also for the door you egt liek a 2 part kit one part on frame one on the door of sash , they have a magnet connection when closed when they are opened the alarm sound and they are loud . it might not be a big think but noise and light are a burglars most hated thing .