BOB/GHB clothing for Britain.

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Frnc

Re: BOB/GHB clothing for Britain.

Post by Frnc »

Synthetic is generally best. Wool is the only natural fibre that still insulates if it's damp/wet.

Socks
Summer - synthetic doesn't get as sweaty as cotton. Some synthetics wick well. I wear Bridgedale Coolmax liner socks.
Winter - wool is best

underwear
personally I prefer cotton boxers year round except on the bike

base layer tops
summer
cotton as I say holds sweat. Just Cool t-shirts are cheap and don't hold sweat. They do long sleeved ones as well.
winter
Synthetic is best eg Mountain Warehouse Talus. Or merino.

winter outer
fleece plus a windproof top, or a synthetic insulated jacket

breathable waterproof if it's raining
Last edited by Frnc on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omega

Post by Omega »

Also look at motorcycle gear - wind, rain, cold, it takes it all. Though winter gear is different from summer. I did not use heated gear on my scooter this winter, but it is because I do not travel that often now. In the summer though it can be quite hot, so a different set of gear is required
And bear in mind you just sit on the bike, you don't move that much...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I recently got More Mile Strive Coolmax socks off ebay, they are thicker and cheaper (3 for £9.90) than Bridgedale liners, but not too thick. Good for spring and autumn. I'll be wearing Bridgedale in hot weather.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Omega wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:41 am Also look at motorcycle gear - wind, rain, cold, it takes it all. Though winter gear is different from summer. I did not use heated gear on my scooter this winter, but it is because I do not travel that often now. In the summer though it can be quite hot, so a different set of gear is required
And bear in mind you just sit on the bike, you don't move that much...
Most if not all of mine was armoured. I suppose you might be able to take that out. I still have some of the base and mid layers I got for the bike though.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Farmers spend all day out in all weather's, working hard ,maybe one of those country wide stores would be a good place to start.
Fill er up jacko...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Vitamin c wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:17 pm Farmers spend all day out in all weather's, working hard ,maybe one of those country wide stores would be a good place to start.
So boxers string vest and a pair of dickies overalls and a pair of wellies if wet or rigger boots if dry :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

I'll just be yomping home in my nursy uniform. Might get a ride ;) :twisted: :roll:
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Nurseandy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:52 pm I'll just be yomping home in my nursy uniform. Might get a ride ;) :twisted: :roll:
Oh matron!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Another good base layer is EDZ All Climate. They do a long sleeved and a short. These are supposed to be good for year round. They aren't quite as warm as Talus or merino, but are warmer than Just Cool. I wear then on my bike in weather around 8-11° with a windproof on top. At 12° I switch to a yellow cycling top that's more like a Just Cool, ie keeps you cool. Also, at 12° I might get too hot in a windproof if it's sunny and there's no breeze, so I want a yellow top.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:58 pm
Vitamin c wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:17 pm Farmers spend all day out in all weather's, working hard ,maybe one of those country wide stores would be a good place to start.
So boxers string vest and a pair of dickies overalls and a pair of wellies if wet or rigger boots if dry :lol:
I Watch Jack Hargreaves the ‘Countryman’ on YouTube. Takes me back to when I was a boy! Last night he showed how agricultural workers would wear ( empty :lol: ) grain sacks over shoulders and heads to stay warm and dry.

Just shows that lack of ‘ modern ‘ kit isn’t life threatening. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.