BOB/GHB clothing for Britain.

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Frnc

Re: BOB/GHB clothing for Britain.

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:13 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:58 pm
Vitamin c wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:17 pm Farmers spend all day out in all weather's, working hard ,maybe one of those country wide stores would be a good place to start.
So boxers string vest and a pair of dickies overalls and a pair of wellies if wet or rigger boots if dry :lol:
I Watch Jack Hargreaves the ‘Countryman’ on YouTube. Takes me back to when I was a boy! Last night he showed how agricultural workers would wear ( empty :lol: ) grain sacks over shoulders and heads to stay warm and dry.

Just shows that lack of ‘ modern ‘ kit isn’t life threatening. ;)
Poor people converted sacks in the 30s in America. The sacks were made of cotton. Cotton is not waterproof, and is a poor insulator. Wet cotton takes ages to dry and has no insulating properties. It would be the worst choice for bugout/get home clothing. I would wear cotton boxers, but not even a cotton t-shirt.
Of course it's life threatening. You need waterproofs and insulation to survive. The only non-synthetic insulation that works when damp is wool. You can die of hypothermia in Britain in any time of year if you are wearing wet cotton clothes.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:29 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:58 pm

So boxers string vest and a pair of dickies overalls and a pair of wellies if wet or rigger boots if dry :lol:
I Watch Jack Hargreaves the ‘Countryman’ on YouTube. Takes me back to when I was a boy! Last night he showed how agricultural workers would wear ( empty :lol: ) grain sacks over shoulders and heads to stay warm and dry.

Poor people converted sacks in the 30s in America. The sacks were made of cotton. Cotton is not waterproof, and is a poor insulator. Wet cotton takes ages to dry and has no insulating properties. It would be the worst choice for bugout/get home clothing. I would wear cotton boxers, but not even a cotton t-shirt.
Of course it's life threatening. You need waterproofs and insulation to survive. The only non-synthetic insulation that works when damp is wool. You can die of hypothermia in Britain in any time of year if you are wearing wet cotton clothes.
Well slap my wrist and tell me off! :lol: I’ll do as told and lose my imagination and sense of humour. :lol:

As a hunting and fishing man,I will still use( when able :lol: ) waxed jacket and especially trousers. Water proof,warm and TOUGH. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:45 pm

Well slap my wrist and tell me off! :lol: I’ll do as told and lose my imagination and sense of humour. :lol:

As a hunting and fishing man,I will still use( when able :lol: ) waxed jacket and especially trousers. Water proof,warm and TOUGH. ;)
Waxed cotton is completely different. I'd forgotten they still make that. As worn by country gentlemen and farmers. It is waterproof, but not particularly breathable. Also it's fairly stiff, heavy and bulky.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:22 pm

Waxed cotton is completely different. I'd forgotten they still make that. As worn by country gentlemen and farmers. It is waterproof, but not particularly breathable. Also it's fairly stiff, heavy and bulky.
Yeah,but it deals with brambles and even barbed wire in the REAL world of outdoors! :lol:

By the way,have you got a sense of humour like the rest of us? :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

"Cotton KIlls"..............

Only if you're an idiot. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:27 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:22 pm

Yeah,but it deals with brambles and even barbed wire in the REAL world of outdoors! :lol:
What do you think this is? This isn't me by the way, but I've done this route. Inaccesible Pinacle on Skye Ridge.

This is more of a stroll, but some scrambling and exposure (steep drops). Cryb Goch. Image

Jack's Rake (look for the red line). This is just a scramble actually, no ropes needed.
Last edited by Frnc on Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:55 pm "Cotton KIlls"..............

Idiot ,me? I’m a dopey country idiot who knows nowt about bad weather! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Those grain sacks in the 1930s weren't waxed, presumably.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:47 pm

Idiot ,me? I’m a dopey country idiot who knows nowt about bad weather! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why can we not debate the technicalities of equipment without you making it personal? I never said anyone was an idiot. I said cotton is a no-no outdoors. Waxed is an exception, yes. But climbers and backpackers don't use it.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

https://sectionhiker.com/why-does-cotton-kill/