Water

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
jameswhite

Water

Post by jameswhite »

Water is a subject that alot of my students find very boreing but i always impress on them its importance. I a sure there are huge sections on the forum somewhere but indulge me if i ask how much people know about water, how much you need, how much the body is made up of water, the difference between filtration and purification, how to carry, store, find in the wild and best methods for filtration and purification and what we are purifying from! This is a lesson i give most weeks to clients and am always astounded at how little they know even "experts" So guys lets see the knowlege!!
Red Doe

Re: Water

Post by Red Doe »

Eek....*looks fearfully at teach* :D
Well, I know that drinking the eight glasses per day isn`t truly needed like experts say as we also get water from food and other beverages and that does count.
I know where to get sources of `wild water` around me...springs, freshwater lochs and burns.
I know how to use a water purifier and tablets and of course, to boil, and am aware of things like liver fluke dangers etc, even from rainwater from water butts.
I also know how to use mosses and charcoal to filter water. But that`s about it I`m afraid.
I`m lucky here....there is a plentiful supply of fresh wild water, even if it is good whisky making stuff (brown peaty treacle!) so water shortages are unlikely to ever be a problem here. Touch wood. :)

ETA I also know the symptoms of water deprivation and dehydration, having suffered from it twice. Not nice!
jameswhite

Post by jameswhite »

not bad for a start but having loads of water doesnt always mean we can use it as you said in part. Also let me know what peoples signes of dehydration are. I want to see what as many people think before i post my words of wisdom! (well tell you what i know anyway) Also how long do you boil water for do you think?
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

Well, I boil the local water for a rolling boil of ten full minutes. I hate the taste tablets give it though, you can`t disguise that even in strong coffee.
Dehydration....confusion, headache, vertigo, lack of co-ordination, eventually it`d lead to coma, organ shutdown and death! :shock:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I've got a lot of water stored - about 100 litres at the last count. I know that you need around two litres a day - more in extreme heat and that our body is made up of a LOT of water. I personally DO drink at least two litres each day *polishes gold star* and am never without a bottle of water. I think many times when people say to me "I feel a bit under the weather" or "I've got a headache" that they are simply dehydrated and a pint of water would sort them out!

I don't know much about the others stuff you mentioned though! :mrgreen:
jameswhite

Post by jameswhite »

All great points guys! You need between 2.5 and 3 litres a day depending on environment you actually need more in cold as body uses more water to keep warm bizzarley. Men are 70% water women 65% that is because women have more fat in their body (nothing to do with weight!) with regard to boiling just a rolling boil for 1 minute is sufficient to purify any longer and you are simply evaporating the water dont forget to add a minute for every 1000 feet in height (water boils at 68.5 degrees at top of everest and you need to get it to 100), keep going and i will answer all later! I know im such a tease!
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

Aha! I have a question for teach! :D
Is there any metal container it`s best to not carry water in. I ask because once on using a vintage flask, the water I drank from it tasted kind of tainted with the metal. I think the flask was an old high lead pewter one, not sure though.
And as an aside, the sweetest, loveliest water I ever tasted came out of the rocks in a tiny spring on Ben Bhraggie in Sutherland. No tap water has ever compared to that. :D
jameswhite

Post by jameswhite »

Some metals especially the older ones will impart some flavour to the water, they can also get dented or punctured and in extream cold not a good idea to hold a metal container to the lips! the best ones are the black british army bottles made of a polycarbonate plastic that will not breakdown in sunlight. If going for metal ones the Sigg bottles are ok.
lone wolf

Post by lone wolf »

Very important topic and good to discuss,

Putting aside the usual principle that we need stored water and the knowledge of how to make water safe etc after TSHTF,

I live by one simple rule, i never let myself get thirsty throughout ANY day, as you all probalby know, if your thirsty then your already dehydrating,

Obviousy that rule would change if my supplys became short or rashioned

Lone Wolf
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

I agree, water must be the most important prep of all.

I have an understanding of the basics from articles I have read here and there but am keen to learn more. At the moment I have some stored water, a Berkey, milbank bag, and some puritabs, none of which will purify absolutely everything but will hopefully get rid of most nasties.

None of the above would help much if I was caught out somewhere without them so learning other methods has got to be a good idea. I watched a couple of youtube vids a while back about using moss, charcoal, sand etc but have never tried it....is that the sort of thing you teach James ?