Best water filter?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Mr R

Best water filter?

Post by Mr R »

Good evening,

I am after a water filter to use when I am out walking. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks.
unsure

Re: Best water filter?

Post by unsure »

for walking , i`d say a sawyer mini would be your lightest option , also one of the least costly .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
lee3

Post by lee3 »

I fell into this a while back! Is it a water filter that will enable you to use water from any source you find on route? Or as an emergency backup to carried water in the event your wanderings become protracted! Either way it is safer to boil water a light weight option is steritabs and safer when used as recommended than filters if you are going to use a filter Its generally recommended to use a prefilled bag to strain out larger nasties and extend the life of the filter....but wherever possible boil after still :D
I'm in area 1
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

What sort of hazards are you likely to encounter?

Around where I am there can be Agri-chemicals as well as the usual 'bugs' and viruses.

The Sawyer filters to 0.1 micron Absolute*
This will deal with pretty much all the nasties except the viruses. Those range between 20 and 300 nanometers (or 0.02 to 0.3 microns) in size, so some kinds will still get through.

If you've got Heavy metals or chemicals you need a activated charcoal filter as well (boiling obviously won't have an effect on most of those), I've seen them as an extra inline component as well as part of a stand alone filter

*"Absolute" means the filter has no pores larger then its rating, "Nominal" means most of the pores are the rated size
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

Thanks to all of you for the replies and advice. My reason for wanting one is as a backup on a hot day. If I'm somewhere such as Exmoor, I drink from a stream. Down-stream, however, is a different matter and, if possible, I want to lighten my backpack by swapping a stove for a filter and/or purification tablets.

I will have a look at the Sawyer filter at the weekend.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I need to do a more research on water treatment and filtration but at the start of my preps I did buy two Sawyer Minis as they came out on top of a lot of lists comparing portable filters and I thougt they were the best start while I looked into it further.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

Back in September I helped "kit up" a friend for a trip to Africa. He was spending 3 weeks in Tanzania, in the back country.

I knew he would be on the go continually and safe water would present a problem.

He was quite sure he would have access to bottled water but I stuck the Sawyer Mini into his gear anyway, just in case.

When he returned he told me that even the bottled water he encountered was questionable, and for several days he had not had access to bottled water, and he had used the Sawyer for every drop of water he consumed, for 3 weeks, that had not been boiled as tea or coffee.

He suffered no water induced problems during or after his return.

Now I know that some of your local water might be worse than the parasite infested swill of a Tanzanian mud puddle but I now feel certain the Sawyer can handle it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I agree totally. I used one of the Sawyers this Summer/ Autumn when fishing in Spain. We were in some remote places and had to travel light. No problems at all. I wish these had been available 30+ years ago when I was serving in HM forces. I will never forget being deployed and three days in we had no re supply. We filled canteens with water strained through socks, then treated with puritabs. We still sh*t through the eye of a needle! When we were finally airlifted and aboard choppers the stench was vile. We had to burn our fatigues and get hosed off!! Clean drinking water is wonderful.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

Mortblanc wrote:When he returned he told me that even the bottled water he encountered was questionable.
Heard all kinds of horror stories about bottled water, bottles refilled and resealed, left too long in sunshine, catching bugs from the outside of the bottle. Sure most of the time it is fine, but it doesn't take much for things to change very quickly. If I was off on my travels now, I think a filter is essential, especially as they're so portable. Reassuring to hear they stand up to the Africa test.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Another fan of the Sawyer Mini.
As with most filters, if using in sub zero temps and the filter is wet, be sure to sleep with it at night.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.