Are you a good swimmer?

How are you preparing
MissAnpassad

Are you a good swimmer?

Post by MissAnpassad »

In 2011 Anders Behring Breivik shot and killed 69 people on the small island Utøya outside of Norway. Many of the people on the island swam to safety, but some drowned.
But it isn't just when there is a terrorist attack that it is good to be a really good swimmer, if you are on a boat and it sinks, the better the swimmer you are, the more likely it is that you will survive. It doesn't only have to do with the distance you have to swim, as an experienced swimmer will be able to swim longer even in freezing water. Freezing water totally drains you of energy.
So, are you prepping for aquatic scenarios? And how good of a swimmer are you?

I'm an excellent swimmer, i've swam the Vansbro swim (3 km in 8 degree C water and the last km you swim upstream) and I have even swam semi-unconscious when the boat flipped over and smacked me in the head.
sniper 55

Re: Are you a good swimmer?

Post by sniper 55 »

I've grown up living on the coast with a family that likes boats, so swimming is second nature in my family. Sadly we no longer have any boats at the moment, the last one went a few years back.
Gunrax

Post by Gunrax »

Like many people I had swimming lesson as a child and I have always been going to swimming pools for swimming or fun with friends. So I would say I am very confident with water. I must say the sea can be dangerous as you can be as good as you want as a swimmer but if you encounter a strong current you are done. My father has got a boat and in the port where the boat is harbored I have heard many stories of people diving from the boat and never coming up..or people going for a bath a bit too far from the coast and drown..however I agree that be a good swimmer it surely makes the difference in the situation that you described. If you are into fitness it could be a good idea to swim maybe once a week to improve your swimming abilities..

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
digi

Post by digi »

im not scared of the water, i have wetsuits and bouyancy aids, but, i cannot float. i can swim, with a jaket on, or i can swim along the bottom of a pol, but, even if i take the biggest breath that i can and hold it, ill still slowly sink to the bottom of a swimming pool. over the last 40 years, i have learned to hold my breath for quite a long time. I take my kids swimming and they find it hilarious that i can sit on the bottom of the pool, for 90 seconds at a time, the lifeguards dont think its as funny though for some reason

if swimming to safety was a life or death situation, then id would be screwed, unless it was 200M underwater
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Old thread, but being able to swim is a no-brainer. A reminder, if anyone isn't confident. Get some practice or lessons. Learning how to lifesave is a good idea too. You learn how to control a panicking person and tow them to safety, also swimming in clothes and making floats out of clothing.

I just saw this on twitter. Swimming on your back is easy. You don't have to do it crawl style. You can use your legs like you do in breast stroke, and push with your arms for a bit more speed. The only downside is you can't see where you're going. You can flip over and do breast stroke for that.
Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Service
@manchesterfire
·
1m
If you get into difficulty in the water, remember #FloatToLive…
✅Tilt your head back with ears submerged
✅Relax and try to control your breathing
✅Move your hands to help you stay afloat
✅Once you are over the initial shock, call for help or swim to safety
jansman

Post by jansman »

It’s easy to get into trouble. I fish,and have gone in before now. Indeed I remember some years the bank I was standing on collapsing. Scary. I’m not a strong swimmer either.

The above swimming emergency instructions are good and practical. ;) Thanks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

There are many techniques for lifesaving. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have done a course, using a contact tow, probably Bronze Medallion.

It depends firstly on where there are and how they are behaving. A common scenario is they are treading water and panicking. If you approach such a person in the water from the front, they are liable to grab your shoulders or even head, as if you are a liferaft, and they could pull you under. What you want to do is approach them from behind so they can't do that.
See video at 10.37
https://youtu.be/MP_kKg-cZGM?t=634
You might want to zoom in to see the detail, he has his arm over the chest, fingers into his arpit. When I did it we held the chin. That might be out of date. You can also grab them under both armpits from behind, if you are completely on your back, but then you have both arms tied up. You'll be wanting to tow them on their back either way. You can swim on your back or side. This is a contact tow and is a last resort. A non-contact tow is safer, where you throw them a bouyancy aid tied to a rope, and you swim holding the other end of the rope. An accompanied rescue is an aleternative safer method, where you swim out, throw them a bouyancy aid, and accompany them to shore, keeping a safe distance at all times. And a dry rescue is even safer, where you stay dry and throw a bouyancy aid tied to a rope. If they are under water and not moving, or appear to be unconscious, obviously it has to be a contact tow, unless you can get them onto a bouyancy aid. Finally of course you might need to do resuscitation when you get to shore.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I grew up near the beach. Rule one is to talk to the lifeguards or locals to understand the local dangers.
And the second is understanding what to do if you get caught out. This guidance from the RNLI sums it up well.
Evergog

Post by Evergog »

Yes still a pretty good swimmer- and it was the one “sport” I made my kids attend. Surprising how many can’t nowadays - but lessons aren’t cheap tbf
jansman

Post by jansman »

Evergog wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:05 pm Yes still a pretty good swimmer- and it was the one “sport” I made my kids attend. Surprising how many can’t nowadays - but lessons aren’t cheap tbf
We did similar with our eldest. A year of expensive lessons,and she did learn. Young ‘un went swimming with us with armbands,and it only took several visits and she learnt herself!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.