Most likely SHTF situations?

How are you preparing
bettersafethansorry

Most likely SHTF situations?

Post by bettersafethansorry »

Ok guys and gals.

what do we think will be a national or global SHTF situation that is realistic and what kind of time scale are you expecting to see this escalate in.

I prep for small situation, power outages, floods, e5tc but never enough to last over a month as it stands. So im now thinking larger scale.

What will happen? when will it happen? and how are you prepping for this??

-M
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
nzbred

Re: Most likely SHTF situations?

Post by nzbred »

Im pretty much the same as you,personally i dont think there will ever be a serious SHTF national/global event in our lifetimes.Of course thats not to say the world doesnt have its problems right now as clearly it does.Also,im not saying there isnt a chance that we are going to suffer a harsh winter sometime or a major terrorist attack,in what ever form that will take,or long term electricity blackouts.In all honesty,I think that will be an event,maybe in our lifetime,a national power outage caused by a cyber attack on the national grid or a solar flare i think are the main concerns and im happy i can say that me and my family could cope with that.
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Last edited by MissAnpassad on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I never say 'never ' where such a thing as any disaster is concerned. However, for saying that I prepare personally for economic problems. Talking to colleagues in my industry, things ain't looking good. Looking at World Events the Economy looks shaky.

So I make sure we have food stored, fuel and no debt.

When you think about it though, if you have shelter, food , water and fuel sorted, then you can cope with most things life throws at you.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

The state of my health being what it is (immune system that has difficulty with wet paper bags, lots of viruses) I'm ramping up the food stocks so I have to go out to the shops as little as possible during the winter months, to avoid even normal flu. I've also just bought a dehydrator, so once I'm a bit more sorted, I'll be dehydrating lots of greens. I'm two thirds of the way through building up a 7 month stock.

That's the immediate prep. Longer term, I see a lot of economic dislocation coming our way, and thats what I'm prepping for.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

MissAnpassad wrote: but also for an ecological disaster. 2 winters ago, more than 70 % of the worlds bees died, if we continue to poison the planet (we do know that this is why they died), we will be in serious trouble shortly.
I have only seen a single honey bee this year.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I think I'm in agreement that a long term national or global event is unlikely , well a sudden event at any rate. I tend to believe in a long slow crash type of event , both economically and environmentally . That said conflict doesn't seem too far away at least somewhere on the globe. How such conflicts may affect us directly or indirectly is hard to say but I feel the response to most possibilities is pretty much the same , that of building in resilience to our lifestyles , growing as much of our own food as possible , getting out and staying out of debt , learning how to cope without being so dependant on the society we have now.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've no situation of 'choice', I can't see anything long term in the UK unless its world wide, there are definitely advantages to living in the 'first world'. Maybe some kind of infrastructure problems whether its power or computer based with a huge knock on effect. Again, barring a world wide thing (which I doubt) I think the politicians will be bending over backwards to keep our votes so will be doing everything possible to keep us sweet. Having said that, we don't have the reserves any more to do everything that the politicians might want to do. Not really a criticism, running the country must be a bit of a juggling act, I see it as my job to make sure my nearest and dearest are looked after in the short term and I think I've got it covered, always gaps and this site does make me envious of what some have got in place. :lol:
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

Interesting that so many of you are on the same wave length. When most people think we are gun toting maniacs who expect zombies to rise up any day now.......

I think im ok with what im doing but i may add a few things to prep for law and order break down. :tinfoil :tinfoil :tinfoil
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
sfcfinchrs

Post by sfcfinchrs »

We are preparing with an eye to being flexible.

I believe that unfortunately we will see a major Shtf in my lifetime. I look at what is happening each day and try and play the odds in my head as ti what is going to happen. Yet while I do this. I fully believe that a series of individually inocuious things will happen to tip things into cascade that will make life pretty hard.

This is what history teaches us to pay attention to.

The Great thing for us is that prepping is a fun hobby for our family. So all is good.
I don't do politics or religion. Seen to many people die because of these.

I post to contribute so take as you see fit. My way is not the only way.

Cheers