Rations for hunkering down

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Dicon

Rations for hunkering down

Post by Dicon »

I have been looking at various boards, army meals and camping supplies and find them, confusing and / or expensive. I am 72 and unable really to bug out ( knacked knees ) to anywhere much. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced place for emergency supplies, or, if I am hunkering down, advice on food storage. I have a cellar for storage. If that helps.

Thanks

Dicon
undomesticdiva

Re: Rations for hunkering down

Post by undomesticdiva »

bugging in is the best option unless S really HTF. and you have no choice but to leave, your best bet would be somewhere like BnM or Home Bargains if you have one :)
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

also improvise, if you can make it then don't buy it lol :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Dicon wrote:I have been looking at various boards, army meals and camping supplies and find them, confusing and / or expensive. I am 72 and unable really to bug out ( knacked knees ) to anywhere much. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced place for emergency supplies, or, if I am hunkering down, advice on food storage. I have a cellar for storage. If that helps.

Thanks

Dicon
Hi mate, I'm thinking on similar lines, I would have no plans to leave unless I absolutely had to. I've got plenty of walking/camping stoves for cooking, you can pick up the 'briefcase' stoves pretty cheaply, I've seen them for less but this will give you an indication. You need to be careful with ventilation when cooking with camping stoves though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-Camp- ... ping+stove

If you have a couple of these (you can get double ones too) and plenty gas then you can stock up on 'normal' stuff, depending on what you normally eat its just a case of holding extra 'stock' in your cellar and cooking more or less as you would. Remember to store plenty water and things like olive oil and the like. You can still eat relatively healthily with tinned veg/beans etc and dried beans and the like.
BristolDave

Post by BristolDave »

Hi Dicon. Personally I wouldn't buy the camping/army/survival foods for hunkering down. Buy tinned foods in the supermarket - we bought some extras from Lidl at the weekend that are best before 2018. We have some storage boxes that we keep under the bed labelled 2016, 2017 and 2018 and just put the relevant BB dates in these boxes. Once 2016 arrives we will drag out that box and put it in the larder to eat, relabelling the box 2019 and starting to fill it again. We've salted away around 3 weeks food for 4 of us in this way - 6 weeks on half rations.
Dicon

Post by Dicon »

Bristol Dave, that is seriously a good idea. I have one of those beds that lift up at the end. I can tore it under there. That would stop stuff going out of date. To my shame I found some lentils in my cupboard as 'Best before 2011'. Duh! This would stop that. Also whether from a message from my unconscious or not, I seem to have over-stocked on air fresheners. If I have to hunker down with a lot of beans and lentils, go figure. ;)

Dicon
unsure

Post by unsure »

if you plan on storing dries food , don`t worry about the dates . ive had and used lots of food stuffs that are well past the date on the packet , pasta , rice even cuppa soup ./
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Best Before end Dates are when the food will be at its best according to the manufacturer. Things to avoid are dented and blown cans as I am sure you are aware.
Best-Before Dates

These dates are used for quality purposes and you will find them on long-life foods, including frozen foods and tinned goods. It is not a safety issue to eat foods after the expiry of the best before date, but the food may not taste so good, and really old dried goods may have become infested with larder pests such as weevils of course.
http://www.thehygienedoctor.co.uk/eatin ... -use-date/
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Hamradioop wrote:Best Before end Dates are when the food will be at its best according to the manufacturer. Things to avoid are dented and blown cans as I am sure you are aware.
Best-Before Dates

These dates are used for quality purposes and you will find them on long-life foods, including frozen foods and tinned goods. It is not a safety issue to eat foods after the expiry of the best before date, but the food may not taste so good, and really old dried goods may have become infested with larder pests such as weevils of course.
http://www.thehygienedoctor.co.uk/eatin ... -use-date/

Freezing the dried goods before storing in airtight containers should sort out larder pests!!! Ooh I had a big shiver then can't stand crawlies, especially in my food. :shock:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.