Knife Sharpening with Lansky Kit

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Spiderwebb

Knife Sharpening with Lansky Kit

Post by Spiderwebb »

I bought one of these Lansky kits a few weeks ago, along with a 'sapphire stone' (2000 grit) and stand.

Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000B8IEA4/ ... aub0Z163JF

I've used it on 5 or 6 kitchen knives, working my way from grinding a good edge through to a 2000 grit polish. And only cut myself twice!

Admittedly the knives were in a poor state, however the end results have been excellent. And it's easy to use.

I followed the technique used by Gough Custom in his YouTube video (not sure I'm 'permitted' to add his link?).

Yesterday I made a leather strop and loaded it with compound. WOW, first time I've used a strop, what a difference! Practically have a mirror finish on the edge now.

Thought I'd share this as personally I've found knife sharpening to be a dark art. Never been able to get a consistent edge anywhere near the sharpness I now get. It's not cheap, but hopefully it'll mean less knife purchases!
Holomon

Re: Knife Sharpening with Lansky Kit

Post by Holomon »

I've got the lansky, awesome bit of kit. They do a leather strop to match the stones which fits in the box nicely too. Like you say, it's not cheap but makes it easy to do a great job.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

Holomon wrote:I've got the lansky, awesome bit of kit. They do a leather strop to match the stones which fits in the box nicely too. Like you say, it's not cheap but makes it easy to do a great job.
Wasn't sure whether the Lansky Strop would have much advantage over a piece of leather glued to a board (which is what I now have) - what do you think of it? I use my strop for plane irons, chisels as well as knives. Still tempted though!
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Spiderwebb wrote:Wasn't sure whether the Lansky Strop would have much advantage over a piece of leather glued to a board (which is what I now have) - what do you think of it? I use my strop for plane irons, chisels as well as knives. Still tempted though!
It works really well, but to be honest with you it was mostly an OCD thing. A friend bought me the system for Xmas a few years ago, and it had two empty slots. So I bought the sapphire 2000 grit and the leather one as they seemed most useful and would fill the box up :roll:
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

Holomon wrote:
Spiderwebb wrote:Wasn't sure whether the Lansky Strop would have much advantage over a piece of leather glued to a board (which is what I now have) - what do you think of it? I use my strop for plane irons, chisels as well as knives. Still tempted though!
It works really well, but to be honest with you it was mostly an OCD thing. A friend bought me the system for Xmas a few years ago, and it had two empty slots. So I bought the sapphire 2000 grit and the leather one as they seemed most useful and would fill the box up :roll:
Haha, that's exactly the sort of thing I'd do! Think I'll stick with the home made strop for now.

PS. It's made using leather from my old leather sofa! I cut the lot off before it was taken away and suprisingly (because it's quite thin) it's holding up well.