Food Riots -

How are you preparing
Galen

Food Riots -

Post by Galen »

OK, so it's finally happened the (insert your favourite scenario here). You jump in the car to top up your supplies and find a riot at the supermarket - people screaming, fist fights, harsh language ... total anarchy as the population fight over the last few scraps, leaving only Pot Noodles behind (lets face it, nobody could be so desperate as to eat Pot Noodle).

What do you do? Join the mob or ... maybe there's an alternative?

You slam the car into gear and do your best Starsky & Hutch (younger readers should consult their parents) full wheel spinning reverse J turn and head to ... Pets 'R' Us.

Why?

Because it'll be stacked with food. Cans of dog and cat food, dog biscuits are highly nutritious and last forever. One of my clients was Purina and the cleanliness and nutritional levels required by law for pet food often exceed those required for humans (see your local kebab shop for comparisons).

Antibiotics for fish can be obtained (we're in dire straights here and they'll be better than nothing).

The main stumbling block will be the initial 'Eeeeew' factor :shock: ... but after a few days going hungry and you won't be that fussy and you'll soon be chowing down on delicious Pal 'with meaty chunks and full of marrowbone jelly' :lol:

Thoughts anyone?
It's a cruel world.
Holomon

Re: Food Riots -

Post by Holomon »

If there are food riots going on then that's the point I'd stay away from any kind of retail parks or populated areas. No point getting into potential conflict or increasing risk when you can baton down the hatches and ride it out.
That said, if things were so bad that all I had left to eat was pet food, I'd have no issue eating it. Everything I do is geared toward not having to go that far though!
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Galen

Post by Galen »

That assumes you are not hundreds of miles from home visiting your saintly grey haired grandmother. Most preppers seem to rely on the SHTF while they at home surrounded by their supplies. This post suggested a solution should you be short of supplies for any number of reasons. ;)
It's a cruel world.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

But surely the whole point of prepping is that if/when "it" happens you already have your food/stocks so that you can all stay away from the unfolding madness of the masses and batten down the hatches? :roll:

No way would I be out there trying to get anything to be honest, I would be filling my bath tub, sink and buckets to add to my supplies of water. :)

Also, nothing wrong with pot noodle in an emergency just add extra flavours and it will at least be nicer than pet food surely. I do have some in my stash (beef & tomato only). ;)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
jansman

Post by jansman »

In that hypothetical situation, I would be sitting tight at home. Remembering the riots ( looting fest) a couple of years ago, you would not want to be in that place. There are enough supplies here at Chez Jansman to keep our heads down. In my opinion, joining the scrum for a few more tins of beans is not a survival strategy. You could be injured or killed. An injury in the Apocalypse-Of-Your-Choice would not be desirable to say the least.
There is a chapter in Alex Scarrow's book,'Last Light', details the panic in a supermarket when the news breaks about possible food shortages. Makes you think.
You are right about the edibility of petfood though. My friend is a fitter at the Pedigree factory near here. At lunchtime he tells me he will often scoop a mugful of 'stew'-he says it smells much better cooking than when you open the tin!
As for being away from home, I have gear in the cars. I would be concentrating on getting home.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

time to get any "extra" supplies is before the rioting starts, when the rioting starts the last place any of us should be is in the middle of it, wont do our families any good if we get killed or seriously injured in a riot will it? this is why we are preppers, so that we are prepared and don't have to join in the general panicking and mayhem. stay home and stay safe. and if your not at home when it starts, forget about extra supplies, get out of the immediate area and head for home, after all you've got your GHB with your gear and enough basic food to get home, haven't you?? ;)
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
Galen

Post by Galen »

I was being ironic about the Pot Noodle. And I stand corrected, of course everyone will be at home at the exact moment the SHTF surrounded by years worth of supplies ... sorry (more irony FYI). ;)

Doesn't anyone here travel? In country or overseas? Suppose the roads are impassable and ... sigh, I give up. :roll:
It's a cruel world.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Galen wrote:I was being ironic about the Pot Noodle. And I stand corrected, of course everyone will be at home at the exact moment the SHTF surrounded by years worth of supplies ... sorry (more irony FYI). ;)

Doesn't anyone here travel? In country or overseas? Suppose the roads are impassable and ... sigh, I give up. :roll:

:lol: if I were 100s of miles away I would just concentrate on getting home. I don't have any parents hence that scenario is never even on my radar. :?

Always have food/snacks/drinks in the car freshly loaded in for such journeys 8-)

The MIL lives 300 miles away (evil grin) and we can do that in 5 - 6 hours non stop. :P

Overseas, well basically you're stuffed unless you have your own super yacht or plane! :shock:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Galen wrote:

forget roads, especially motorways and major A roads, use minor county unclassified back roads, and don't stop for anybody!! if your on foot, forget any roads, go across country and use power lines and landmarks as navigation aids, or if the power is off walk alongside railway tracks but avoid the larger railway stations, or use canal towpaths, or cycle paths. try to think" outside the box."
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

I travel alot, to some fairly out of the way places. If I was in country I'd be heading straight home at the first hint of trouble. Let's face it, food riots etc don't come out of nowhere, there's usually a build up. If we're talking some kind of armageddon situation I'd be heading home long enough to get the family out, screw Tescos.
If we had to leave home we have a fall back position at a secluded farm my family have.
When I'm not in country I have supplies and the means to survive for extended periods and won't have the option of pedigree chum anyway :)
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864