What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:I got a grand total of seven usable apples from my tree this year, last year we had so many we didn't know what to do with them all, but this year they all got ruined by bugs.
We really need a cold winter down here to kill them off, I don't think it dropped below freezing last winter.
A previous neighbour of mine had apple trees which provided masses of fruit every year without fail. He told me that he put Vaseline around the base of the tree and that stopped the little blighters in their tracks.

you can get a specific tree grease for the job which is very tenacious ... if youve not seen it:

http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acat ... Aty68P8HAQ

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=518
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I have copper wire wrapped around the trunk which certainly stops the slugs and snails getting up there, on a morning when it's been wet overnight they're all clustered underneath it, then the slugs get cut in half with my trowel and the snails either get flung over the fence or put into the washing up bowl that I purge them for eating in if they're big enough!

I suspect it was flying things and larvae that ruined most of the fruit, I could probably spray to kill it all off but I don't like flinging chemicals around.

Going to have a look in my gardening book to see if I can improve matters for the tree next year, and I'm also going to get some of the nematodes that kill the gastropods and just go without escargot for a better crop of veggies!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Getting a Cg125 on the road to get to work instead of my 2nd car as my work have shut down the night shift working and i am back working days for the first time in over 10 years, i have a small respite on my wages changing, but in a few months i will loose about £500 a month, so the bike will save me money in the long run, now i just have to get used to sleeping like the rest of the world and getting up in the morning! :shock:
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

We had quite an adventure in the camper. After long threatening to totally empty it and take stock and clean, the wife came up with a brilliant idea. She proposed we jumped into it the next day and see if we could last a week without having to buy anything, or go to shops etc. Whilst out in our 'spot' we'd clean it. So, after a couple of phone calls, that's exactly what we did.
I must add, it's not considered a BOV as such, I don't foresee needing one, we just like having it packed with food, fuel, water and the gear needed to jump in and go.
So, last Sunday, the 3 of us jumped in (myself, wifey and the mutt) and made our way to a spot in the Lakes we've used dozens of times. It's quiet, off the beaten track and just about accessible with the camper. Within an hour, we are there with the kettle on. We did agree, that as we were only pretending to be running away from Zombies :) we'd come home early if we had had enough, or we would go to the shops if there was anything we simply couldn't do without. Neither of those things happened, we three had a great time, but a few notes as to how we are going to adjust the camper 'preps' stores.

Food.
The thing is chockablock with it. Too much, truth be told. Things like dried peas and bags of rice are too much, we only need one of each.
Although we had some tinned fruit and some dried, we just about had enough. It's amazing how quickly the body starts craving fruit.
Everything in a camper takes time, so we decided to have one 'cooking' day, followed by a cold foods day, excepting toast and the kettle for brews and a cupasoup of course. That worked great for us. The food stocks onboard are gonna be adjusted to cover this, we don't need 50 odd tins of curry/ravioli/mince and onions etc.
The cooking day involved wifey making two small loafs of bread. One for the next day as well. The non cooking days were great. Tinned stuff (meats, cheese, butter and fish) with bread, crackers, various pickles and relishes. I found a love for the jarred feta cheese in oil. I love the stuff, need to buy more for home and camper.
Home mixed curry powder with added chilli flakes, garlic and ginger powder, tin of toms, handful of dried onions/peppers/mushrooms, makes a terrific curry sauce.

Hygiene.
Wifey goes through wetwipes at a frantic rate.
Keeping clean when off-site, isn't impossible, but it was harder. Easiest option for us was to boil kettles, big pan of water and have a good old fashioned strip wash in a for purpose huge mixing bowl. The wife decided she had to wash her hair midweek, that was a pain but we did it. No problem there for me, I shave my hair short.
After doing that for a week, I honestly don't know how people can go wild camping for a week and come home in anything other than a totally manky state.
Clothes/undies etc were no problem, loads onboard.

Comms.
We need some walkie talkies. Water source is some 70 yards away, possibly shouting distance if I fell over and broke a leg, but who knows. Also handy when either of us is pottering about in the wood with the dog. Priority methinks.
Solar charger worked no probs and sorted our mobile phones as well as portable dvd player.

Entertainment.
I knew there was a bottle of Brandy and two bottles of wine onboard. When clearing everything out, also found two more bottles of wine and a bottle of Rum we didn't know were there. That was nice! Without going silly drunk on it, it's nice to have a few alkie drinks onboard to have a couple on an evening. We're going to have a think and get some more onboard.
The portable dvd player is a godsend. Kept onboard is a memory stick with some of our favourite films that is playable through the dvd player. We have decided to get a much bigger stick, fill it with loads more films and favourite music too. The windy up radio worked a treat, but sometimes it's nice to listen to exactly what you want.
Little things like a deck of cards and yahtzee dice onboard are great. Without the distraction of a TV, they're spot-on. Need to think of some more smaller games to chuck onboard.

So that's that. Lots for me to sort this week. Buy what we need, take off what we don't need. Wifey says she won't go offsite for more than 2 nights again, but she did enjoy it. Me, I'd happily do it for a fortnight, but I did have fishing gear onboard.

For those that like the shtf type of run to the hills situation planning, we could easily have lasted a month. The muttfood would have run out before ours though. But, like I said, that bugging out thing, isn't our prepping concern, we did this purely as a bit of fun, a getaway and to see if we could do it.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

BlinkingCory wrote: We need some walkie talkies. Water source is some 70 yards away, possibly shouting distance if I fell over and broke a leg, but who knows. Also handy when either of us is pottering about in the wood with the dog. Priority methinks.

save your pennies unless you want to have the mrs nagging you as you walk the mutt :lol: ...

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/adv ... escription

cheap,, no batteries and if its only 70 yards away someone will hear it.... That and it scares the sh1t out of people if directed into their ear ;)

KISS :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

We do carry whistles mate, whistling out a message in morse saying "Put the kettle on please lovey" or "I've caught nowt, open a couple of tins" :D might be a bit much LOL.
The broken bone scenario is simply the worst scenario, we'd use them a fair bit.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BlinkingCory wrote:We do carry whistles mate, whistling out a message in morse saying "Put the kettle on please lovey" or "I've caught nowt, open a couple of tins" :D might be a bit much LOL.
The broken bone scenario is simply the worst scenario, we'd use them a fair bit.
Don't you hate it when the other half isn't a trained morse op. :lol:
Getting a couple of radios is something I'm keen on too but its hard to justify for us, it'll most likely be a Christmas amazon voucher job. I'm well jel of the camper van though mate, I'd love to have one, especially one stowed and ready to go. Enjoy your trips away.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

If you're in the market for a set of PMR radios the I can't recommend these any more highly, Cobra MT975 PMR446 Walkie Talkie Radio ... iybAZT1GRG, I bought them as I have a cobra handheld marine radio as a back up on my boat that I was happy with.
I use them pretty regularly when I'm out shooting, and I've had them over a year, they've been dropped, thrown into plastic crates, rattled around in the back of my truck and chucked around and aside from a couple of scuffs to the outside they're good as new.
They have a newer version of the privacy code system on them that not all PMR radios have yet and I've never had to switch channels due to one being occupied, they have excellent battery life and the batteries have lasted well, sometimes the cheap batteries fail fairly soon, the belt clip is also pretty good.

Finally, and I would say most importantly, they have an actual knob to switch them on and off, and control the volume, I've had radios before that used buttons for the volume, which is really annoying, and if you lean on them they can get switched off, most have a control lock, but some are so badly thought out that they're useless (it was on my old ones, you could lock the channels, but the power button still worked.)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Thanks for the pointer Jamesey, that looks like the kind of thing I'm after, takes AAA's too which is handy.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Deeps wrote:
BlinkingCory wrote:We do carry whistles mate, whistling out a message in morse saying "Put the kettle on please lovey" or "I've caught nowt, open a couple of tins" :D might be a bit much LOL.
Don't you hate it when the other half isn't a trained morse op. :lol:
Getting a couple of radios is something I'm keen on too but its hard to justify for us, it'll most likely be a Christmas amazon voucher job. I'm well jel of the camper van though mate, I'd love to have one, especially one stowed and ready to go. Enjoy your trips away.
The camper is the best thing we've ever bought. We've done France, Spain and Portugal in it. Brilliant toy!
Finished sorting it out today. All the just-in-case items have gone into the rooftop luggage box, most of the camping gear has gone into the garage.
Some of the scran we found was ludicrous. Can't even remember buying some of it. croissants in a can. pickled eggs. roll mop herrings. primula and corned dog galore.